Negro League action at Kauffman Stadium

scarsofthumper

Greinke is NASTY in MVP 2005. I almost got no-hit when my friend chose him in a game against me. <_<

The best is when you don't throw that curveball for the first couple innings, then get someone to 2 strikes w/ a RISP and then you pull it out of your arsenal. You can't do anything about it. It's devastating.

I used that against my brother today. He couldn't come close to hitting it.

So y'all are sayin' I should trade for Greinke in MVP 2005? That's still my most played game by a long margin. Five years and it still hasn't gotten old. Now is this just my great imagination or was there something that said EA Sports gets to make an MLB game once every seven years?

6fQjS3M.png

Once again, we are all indebted to Marty Appel for talking Yankees GM Gabe Paul out of his photo-negative road uniforms in 1974.

Only because the Yankees are too evil a team to deserve to look so good.

I'm kidding, a little, in that I'm glad the Yankees never went this route. But this would be a terrific look for the White Sox, assuming they wore, you know, white socks. Or possibly the Cubs, whose royal blue would be a better basis for this sort of thing than black.

20082614447.png

whenever the Negro league tribute night/unis are worn I scour the squads for those who DO NOT cuff their pants at the knee. the only 2 I could find were alexei ramirez and 1b coach hal baines. VERY disappointing that baines went ankle length as he was a mid-shin guy when he played for the sox. For that matter, ozzie guillen was a knee-high player during his days at short and now wears them low. ho-hum.

For those of you that get WGN, the White Sox are sporting the uni of the Chicago American Giants, and the Royals are sporting the uni of the KC Monarchs.

Royals look great, Sox i'm not too sure about yet. Maybe it's the hats.

Why are they even bothering doing this. The K.C. Royals and Chicago White Sox are major league teams, not negro teams. The whole thing is stupid.

I don't mind a little light being thrown from this, the highest of baseball stages.

Americans as a whole aren't usually that interested in the whole "history" thing. Anything that helps bring that period, and its teams to life, can be a good thing.

Now if we can just get the Washington team to have 162 Negro League throwback games every year....

It's really rude to wake Ozzie Guillen up in the middle of the night to make him manage a baseball game. He looks like he just rolled out of bed.

Why are they even bothering doing this. The K.C. Royals and Chicago White Sox are major league teams, not negro teams. The whole thing is stupid.

Eh, I'm kinda with you on this, but a Negro League throwback game every year or two is cool, especially for Kansas City. For the most part, however, I'm pretty steadfast in my distaste for throwbacks and unneeded alternates. Teams shouldn't dress up as teams that they aren't. Again, special dispensation for the K.C. Monarchs, but the time the Rays played dress-up as the Tampa Tarpons was pretty bush. I always try to think to myself "wouldn't it kind of suck to throw a no-hitter in the old all-orange Orioles uniform?" or so forth.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Now if we can just get the Washington team to have 162 Negro League throwback games every year....

As a Nationals fan, I don't really understand the love for the name Grays on here. While the Grays were a part of DC baseball history, to me, it's just not the same to revive the name 60-70 years after the team played it's last game in Washington. You can argue that for the name Nationals as well.

If I were going to change the name, I'd go for something completely new. Total reboot. Heck, maybe I'd even change to the old Capitals colors or dollar bill green and copper.

But maybe I'm overreacting too much. I'm rather attached to the team from the inaugural season, so any large color, name, or logo change from the home script and curly W is going to be met with some skepticism.

To honor the past, a past that many don't know anything about. Do you even know why negro league teams existed? If baseball is not about the past, why keep stats? Why haven't the Yankees changed their uniforms in decades? Why go to Wrigley or Fenway?

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Archived