Carolina Hurricanes

chickenfish13

OK, guys. I am going to update the Red Wings, and then I will be finished with those, but I wanted to get this idea up. I am leaving for the weekend shortly, so my description will be brief. I wanted to make the hurricanes look a little more dynamic, chaotic, because that's what Hurricanes are. The primary and secondary are fairly close to the current, but I gave it more dynamic shapes, and used the square as the "eye" of the 'cane. I remember someone saying how when they think of hurricane, they think of a shipwreck. I took that idea, and made a tertiary. I'm not sure if it would work, I will let you guys decide. Thanks for viewing.

carh.png

carht.png

The primary looks pretty good, but the square in the middle messes up the whole flow of the logo and looks really out of place. The tertiary looks fantastic, one of your best logos IMO.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

The shipwreck logo looks nice in a vacuum (would look better without the hurricane symbol behind it though) but I'd probably say that celebrating the destruction of a vessel is probably something to avoid when designing a logo. Yes, we all know that hurricanes can (and generally do) cause a lot of damage, and I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with teams using hurricanes as a name, but I don't think it's a good idea to rub the actual real damage that they can cause into people's faces, especially since they may be the victim of said damage. Damn, that's a long-ass sentence.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The shipwreck logo looks nice in a vacuum (would look better without the hurricane symbol behind it though) but I'd probably say that celebrating the destruction of a vessel is probably something to avoid when designing a logo. Yes, we all know that hurricanes can (and generally do) cause a lot of damage, and I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with teams using hurricanes as a name, but I don't think it's a good idea to rub the actual real damage that they can cause into people's faces, especially since they may be the victim of said damage. Damn, that's a long-ass sentence.

thats probably why you won't see a team called the hurricanes in New Orleans anytime soon.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

OK, I'm back from my short vacation. With the tertiary, I'm not trying to celebrate destruction or anything, I just heard the idea from someone, and wanted too see how it looked. That is why I have it under "Tertiary Idea", to see if it works or not. I would love some more comments, so c and c please.

maybe its me but after glancing at that logo, it looks like it could be a logo for one of those Great Storm of Galveston promos they have in the tourist district. kinda also reminds me of something i would see representing the USS Elissa which can also be seen in Galveston.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I think you've got a good start on a couple of ideas. Anyone who saw my Canes concept knows I agree with what you're trying to do with the primary. I like that it has 4 "prongs" coming out of it; that differentiates it from most other Canes concepts right off the bat.

Two concerns about the primary: First, there is a LOT of red in there for a team that wears a red jersey. If you're going to make the jersey red, I'd definitely work a fair amount of white in there (it needs some white regardless); Second, while I like the idea of using the black square from the warning flag in the center of the logo, I think it needs to be more stylized (like on their current secondary logo) and have more movement instead of just being skewed.

For the tertiary logo: I really like that you're trying this idea, and I think you've got a good start. I can certainly understand some of the other comments about hurricanes/damage/tragedy, but as a lifelong resident of North Carolina, the first thing that pops into my head when I see your shipwreck logo is the Graveyard of the Atlantic off the Outer Banks. So you've captured that centuries-old sunken ship look. But I do think it needs some refining. Right now the ship's hull looks weird, and you need to find a better way to frame it than by just recycling the hurricane outline from the primary logo.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

But I do think it needs some refining. Right now the ship's hull looks weird, and you need to find a better way to frame it than by just recycling the hurricane outline from the primary logo.

C-fish, have you tried framing the ship within a "C" (with the ship's hull occupying the bottom half of the letter)?

Thats a nice idea Philroy. I will play around with it, and post an update.

Dgnmrwrw, thanks a lot for posting c and c, as you are a great designer, and you always seem to be giving me nice constructive c and c. I will try and work on your ideas, put it in the update.

Keep the comments coming.

Not gonna add much as for starters easily making the eye a more circular/ovalish shape would help, maybe some white in it somewhere? The primary and secondarys just look flat, but I love the teritiary minus the background, make it into a c and you have a winner.

6fQjS3M.png

carh.png

While it's definitely executed well, it's no longer the symbol for a Hurricane, which, sort of kills it for me.

Yes, I get it's a concept, but it stopped being a hurricane and being your chaotic mess on the chest of each player.

OK, here is an update. Dgnmrwrw, I tried incorporating less red into the primary, but nothing was working, so it's staying for now until I can make it work.

- Got rid of the square and just used a simple oval.

- I put a C behind the tertiary, but it looks kind of odd, and i'm not sure if it will work.

- I put a CH into the secondary, on top of an oval.

Enjoy, and C and C.

car2.png

I think that there needs to be white in the logos somehow. For the ship logo, I would form the bottom curve of the C to be closer the the hull of the ship. If you could make the C into some sort of stylized oval or cirlce and create a "night" background behind the ship, it has the potential to look sick on a black jersey. I think the main focus for your next update would need to be the usage of white.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

OK, here is an update. The logos have been changed, or at least the colors have. In the primary and secondary, the red and charcoal grey switched, because it looked too transparent on the red home, and because the grey inner part makes it look more like a storm. In all of the logos, the silver has been replaced with white. Not too much to say for the jerseys, so enjoy, and CC.

chl.png

chhj.png

chaj.png

chaaj.png

In all honesty, I see this is a downgrade from their current set.

The primary is passable but the two alternates just aren't doing it for me. The "C" doesn't flow well with the ship and the top/bottom of the C is too thin for my taste. The secondary looks more like a memorial patch than an actual shoulder logo.

As for the jersey's, I don't understand the use of a dark shade of black when it's nowhere in the logos. Ditch that. The numbers on the white sweater aren't working either, the partial outline seems like it's unfinished.

OK, some people like the logos, some don't. I was just trying to do something different. As for the jerseys, the dark black is just the jersey outline, and I forgot to get rid of it. The numbers on the secondary should look like the rest of the numbers, but I guess Inkscape had a problem exporting, it does that sometimes with fonts.

Archived