IHL?

Shachihoko

There is a lot of current/former IHL franchises needed to be added in the database. I thought I would like to let Chris know he need to get around doing an update on it, when he get the chance. I thought it might have been forgotten..?

Orlando_Solar_Bears.png

Good old Orlando Solar Bears... I love this logo and their jersey were awesome. They were my very first team and the team that got me into Hockey.. Bring back memories.. Wish the Solar Bears were alive and made it with the AHL.

SF_Spiders.png

LongBeachIceDogs.png

IHLGulls.png

San_Antonio_Dragons.png

Cleveland_lumberjacks_93-01.jpg

There were some good solid IHL logos (remember the Quebec Rafales and the Minnesota Moose?), although many of them look pretty dated by now.

Funny how in the 1990s, designers just couldn't seem to resist putting a hockey stick in the logo (or failing that, an ice skate). You'd think it was a league rule.

Hockey sticks have been an element of hockey design since at least the '60s, and sometimes to good effect (Pittsburgh Penguins, Winnipeg Jets, that stupid Canucks logo that personally I think sucks but the rest of the world loves it so into the parenthetical it goes).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hockey sticks have been an element of hockey design since at least the '60s, and sometimes to good effect (Pittsburgh Penguins, Winnipeg Jets, that stupid Canucks logo that personally I think sucks but the rest of the world loves it so into the parenthetical it goes).

Now now, not everyone loves it. Give me anything but the stick in rink logo please.

Now now, not everyone loves it. Give me anything but the stick in rink logo please.

It's not just hockey that does it. Look how often a baseball or bat appears in a team's logo, or a basketball, or a soccer ball, or a football...

It's an identifier, so people who don't know the team can tell what sport they play.

It's not just hockey that does it. Look how often a baseball or bat appears in a team's logo, or a basketball, or a soccer ball, or a football...

It's an identifier, so people who don't know the team can tell what sport they play.

Uh, there's only two logos in the NFL with footballs in them.

Sigs are for sissies.

the IHL is also still running. http://www.ihl-hockey.com/ None of the logos really impress me but I remember attending Detroit Vipers games at the Palace. Man those were the best.

That's not the IHL. That's the UHL doing business as the IHL.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

MLB teams that feature a ball/bat/glove/diamond/base in current primary logo:

Minnesota Twins

New York Yankees

Texas Rangers

Tampa Rays

4/14 in AL

Colorado Rockies

Florida Marlins

Los Angeles Dodgers

Milwaukee Brewers

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

St. Louis Cardinals

Washington Nationals

11/16 in NL

15/30 total MLB

NBA Logos that feature a ball in current primary logo:

Atlanta Hawks

Boston Celtics

Cleveland Cavaliers

Dallas Mavericks

Detroit Pistons

Golden State Warriors

Indiana Pacers

Los Angeles Clippers

Los Angeles Lakers

Miami Heat

New Jersey Nets

New Orleans Hornets

New York Knicks

Oklahoma City Thunder

Orlando Magic

Philadelphia 76ers

Phoenix Suns

Sacramento Kings

Toronto Rapters

Utah Jazz

Washington Wizards

21/30 teams

NFL logos that feature a football/helmet in the current primary logo:

Cleveland Browns

Miami Dolphins

New York Jets

Oakland Raiders

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

5/32

NHL logos that feature a stick/puck in the current primary logo:

Atlanta Thrashers

Colorado Avalanche

New York Islanders

Pittsburgh Penguins

San Jose Sharks

Washington Capitals

6/30

so breaking down just the current primary logos and not secondary logos we come to the conclusion that:

baseball has 50% of its primary logos featuring a baseballcentric element

Basketball has 70% of its primary logos featuring a basketballcentric element

Football has 15% of its primary logos featuring a footballcetnric element

Hockey has 20% of its primary logos featuring a hockey centric element

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

the IHL is also still running. http://www.ihl-hockey.com/ None of the logos really impress me but I remember attending Detroit Vipers games at the Palace. Man those were the best.

That's not the IHL. That's the UHL doing business as the IHL.

When the "real" IHL was around that's where NHL teams sent veteran players who were still good enough to play but weren't good enough to crack the NHL lineup or wouldn't be allowed to be in the AHL due to the veteran rule it has. The "new" IHL is mainly players that are below ECHL or even CHL league talents, not to say that there are not good players in that league it is primarly a lot of college and junior players that are just starting out, yet were not as good as guys drafted by NHL teams to play in the ECHL or the AHL and with a very few former NHL, AHL experienced players there too. When the Wolves were in the final year of the "I" we had former NHL vets like Niklas Andersson, Glen Featherstone, Brian Noonan, Wendell Young, Chris Li Puma, Dallas Eakins, years past we had Glenn Healy, Pat Jablonski, Andrei Trefilov, Kris King the league then was a veteran minor league with a few rookies in it like Rick Di Pietro for the Wolves when they had a partial affilaition with the Islanders. Lowell (AHL) got the young players and the Wolves got the vet players from the Isle's.

This is the reason that, IMO the "real" IHL died. Some bonehead in the league office thought it could compete with the NHL for fans attention when the NHL locked out in the 90's and put teams in places they had no reason for being, like San Fran, LA, and Quebec. I miss seeing the Solar Bears and Vipers now, but maybe one day they will make a proud return as the AHL grows and moves. I just hope the AHL doesn't spread themselves to much and make things hard on the team owners for travel and cause teams to fold.

bleedsvg2014_03_03_12_53_210b.png

Edge2baWolves2d.jpg

• 1 month later...
I just hope the AHL doesn't spread themselves to much and make things hard on the team owners for travel and cause teams to fold.

Abbotsford Heat

According to Bruce Landon, General Manager of the Springfield Falcons, it wouldn't cost any more money to travel somewhere far away, as opposed to somewhere close. The cost of traveling to Abbotsford and the cost of traveling to, say, Hershey, are the same.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I just hope the AHL doesn't spread themselves to much and make things hard on the team owners for travel and cause teams to fold.

Abbotsford Heat

According to Bruce Landon, General Manager of the Springfield Falcons, it wouldn't cost any more money to travel somewhere far away, as opposed to somewhere close. The cost of traveling to Abbotsford and the cost of traveling to, say, Hershey, are the same.

Because Abbotsford is subsidizing much of the travel. We'll see how long that lasts.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived