2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

Just some food for thought in regards to how this year is turning out:

I'm having a difficult time believing just how clutch Carson Palmer has been so far this year. Five games; five scoring drives in the final minutes to give his team the lead. Even though his numbers are down, I truly believe he's playing the best football of his career right now. I've never seen him so confident before—now I know what Colts fans must feel like every week.

In other news, Cleveland wins despite an utterly atrocious outing from Derek Anderson—I didn't agree with the QB switch when Mangini pulled the trigger, and I still think it was a dumb move. Those numbers would be hard to defend even if he were playing against the Giants, Ravens or Steelers, but Buffalo?! That performance was inexcusable, even though I'm fairly confident Mangini will let it slide since it got Cleveland off the schneid.

In Kansas City, it appears the Chiefs are just now realizing there's a slight chance that they may have overpaid Matt Cassel. Now, if they'd just look over their personnel guidelines, they might see the part where it suggests they carry a runningback on the roster.

In Denver, the Legend of Tom Brady is starting to crumble. If you ask me, it's about damned time—that guy's been overrated since he took over for Bledsoe. I think he's a good quarterback, but he's not the greatest of all time, like so many have claimed. The best quarterback in the league has called Indiana home for the last twelve years, and in what many thought would be a down year for him, he's posting the best numbers of his career. I smell the first four-time MVP in NFL history.

That Manning guy I just referenced in the last paragraph? He's got a brother who plays quarterback, too—and he's pretty damned good. I never thought Eli would even come close to Peyton—both in terms of production and popularity—but Eli is quietly building his case for mention in the 'Elite Quarterback Club' alongside Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, Kurt Warner and Drew Brees.

If your team's quarterback wasn't listed in the 'Elite Quarterback Club', that means he's not as good as you think he is.

If your team is based in California, you're probably not happy this week—unless you're just stoked that you won't have to watch the Chargers disappoint you this week.

If your team is based in Pennsylvania or Ohio, you can breathe easy for at least another week.

If your team is based in Missouri, you should probably find another sport to follow. I hear there's this thing called 'Hockey'—it's supposed to be all the rage in Europe.

In closing, I've got a simple math equation I've stumbled upon this week: David Carr > JaMarcus Russell. Better luck next year, Raider Nation.

Sigs are for sissies.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your team is based in Missouri, you should probably find another sport to follow. I hear there's this thing called 'Hockey'?it's supposed to be all the rage in Europe.

Sadly the Blues have hit a small dry spell as well.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wait. Let me get this straight. The Legend of Tom Brady is starting to crumble? Huh? Because a guy loses a game in overtime his status is falling? What about the team he was playing was lucky to get a win? So the guy isn't performing up to past standards. Remember that he is only 5 games off knee surgery and it takes about a year to fully recover. Think about how pedestrian Carson Palmer looked last year, so if you're trying to bury Tom Brady, you just might be way too soon. I know he will be fine. Or is it because the Pats are 3-2. And what will you be saying if they go 13-3? Don't be so quick to judge a veteran team or player. Fools, rush to judgement.

I'm gonna be honest: I expected the Falcons to lose to the Niners today.

That's why I don't work in football. Good win for the Falcons, my confidence in this team just went up again. That said, I absolutely can't wait for Singletary's thoughts on Dre Bly. That was awesome.

Exactly. It feels good to crush a really good team for once. The offense clicked, as well as the D.

Oh Dre Bly, what were you thinking?

The 49ers are a really good team? Really? Nope.

I just re-read my post, and it got me thinking?when was the last time THREE quarterbacks drafted #1 overall played in the same game? In case you missed it, Coughlin rested Eli Manning in the second half, paving the way for former Texans QB David Carr to continue demolishing the Oakland Raiders and JaMarcus Russell.

Sigs are for sissies.

Wait. Let me get this straight. The Legend of Tom Brady is starting to crumble? Huh? Because a guy loses a game in overtime his status is falling? What about the team he was playing was lucky to get a win? So the guy isn't performing up to past standards. Remember that he is only 5 games off knee surgery and it takes about a year to fully recover. Think about how pedestrian Carson Palmer looked last year, so if you're trying to bury Tom Brady, you just might be way too soon. I know he will be fine. Or is it because the Pats are 3-2. And what will you be saying if they go 13-3? Don't be so quick to judge a veteran team or player. Fools, rush to judgement.

The Legend of Tom Brady IS crumbling, and denial is the first stage of depression.

This just in—the team that was 'lucky to get a win' is undefeated.

It's been well over a full calendar year since Brady was injured.

If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know Carson Palmer's throwing arm was injured—which might explain why he sat out the last twelve games.

I'm not trying to bury Tom Brady—just putting to rest the notion that he is the all-seeing, all-knowing King of Quarterbacks. He's still in the 'Elite Quarterback Club', in case you didn't notice.

If the Pats go 13-3, I'll buy you a car.

Don't be so quick to worship a popular team or player. Fools also rush to defend.

Sigs are for sissies.

I just re-read my post, and it got me thinking?when was the last time THREE quarterbacks drafted #1 overall played in the same game? In case you missed it, Coughlin rested Eli Manning in the second half, paving the way for former Texans QB David Carr to continue demolishing the Oakland Raiders and JaMarcus Russell.

And two of the three are busts, at least so far. Number 1 picks get so much hype but so many of them never pan out. Look at how many of the guys really getting it done in the NFL are either lower round picks or undrafted free agents.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

And two of the three are busts, at least so far. Number 1 picks get so much hype but so many of them never pan out. Look at how many of the guys really getting it done in the NFL are either lower round picks or undrafted free agents.

This is essentially especially true of QBs. Its amazing how, especially recently, teams with the number 1 pick overall just seem to want the best QB in the draft, irrespective of talent. Since 2001 the only non QB number 1 overall picks have been Mario Williams and Jake Long. Go back to 1998 and you would only add one more player to that list.

I guess most teams that are bad enough to finish in a high draft pick spot would feel a need at QB, so want to pick a QB, but is picking a moderate QB at number 1 a sensible thing? Also I think evaluating college QBs is very tough. I think deciding how much a QB;s success is down to them and how much of it is due to good blocking, good playcalling, good receiving? All of those things help a good QB. Brady doesn't have the best arm, but has lots of other good talents to help him, both within himself and within the Patriots organisation. The same could be said for Peyton Manning. Put Eli Manning in a struggling Giants team and he looked somewhat average. Put him in a winning Giants team he looks a good QB.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

So how long is the 'JaMarcus Russell Experiment' going to last in Oakland? Was he even benched yesterday? The Giants-Raiders game got so out of hand, CBS switched us over to a Detroit Lions game after the half!

6uXNWAo.png

Wow wow wow wow. Every single game the Bengals are involved in is incredibly exciting. But if I was a Ravens fan I'd be a little upset with the latest pass interference call.

They can be upset all they want. The calls were correct. The Ravens always play a little too aggressive in "crunch" time. They usually get away with it. Today they didn't.

I thought the Ray Lewis call was a little questionable. He was going up to make a play anticipating that Johnson would make the catch. He wasn't leading with his helmet, their helmets just happened to connect and Johnson's flew off.

But I can't blame the refs on this loss. The Ravens just played bad yesterday. The offense couldn't do anything and the defense had alot of trouble also so. This is why I didn't like all the early praise they got after the 3-0 start. They didn't play any really good teams. Now that they've played a couple good teams, the offense doesn't look as great and the defense doesn't look to be as dominant as in the past. I still think they could be a playoff team just not one of the top teams (which may work out, I don't like having the bye week). Hopefully we can come back strong next week in Minnesota, but I'm starting to worry it will be our 3rd straight loss.

Case in point, look at the QB's the Falcons had on their roster in the 2008 calendar year:

1st-round pick (#1 overall in 2000) Michael Vick

1st-round pick (#3 overall in 2002) Joey Harrington

1st-round pick (#7 overall in 2003) Byron Leftwich

1st-round pick (#3 overall in 2008) Matt Ryan

These guys were either the first or second QB's taken in their respective drafts.

I'm gonna be honest: I expected the Falcons to lose to the Niners today.

That's why I don't work in football. Good win for the Falcons, my confidence in this team just went up again. That said, I absolutely can't wait for Singletary's thoughts on Dre Bly. That was awesome.

Exactly. It feels good to crush a really good team for once. The offense clicked, as well as the D.

Oh Dre Bly, what were you thinking?

That was definitely what I expected of the offense & then some. Turner didn't have a huge yardage day, but he still got his TDs in. Hopefully he can fully return to his 08/09 form. Ryan & White had a huge day, and when they're both on the same page, those two are extremely deadly on offense. Plus the defense was actually good. Sure, Gore was out so that made the job a little bit easier, but it was still a good performance for a defense that's liable to give up 100+ rushing yards to any old joe any Sunday. This team can be really fun to watch when they're clicking. Hopefully they'll be clicking against the Bears this Sunday (and hopefully they won't have to do this in order to win...hopefully they just win and save us fans the heart attacks. :P)

I've only seen 5 minutes of MNF and I'm already feeling ill. Amid all of this Braylon Edwards adoration did they forget he got traded mainly for being a little douche? At this point, if Cleveland doesn't want you...

I'm just tired of seeing athletes get rewarded for mailing it in. Kind of similar to the Heatley situation in the NHL. Grow up, you overpaid babies.

Me to Rex Ryan tonight: "You were completely outcoached and your defense looked more disoriented than Amy Winehouse. I don't actually have a question."

And Tank...when you give Henne enough time to catch a dinner and a movie every time he drops back to pass, you're going to win more often than not in the NFL. All the credit in the world to him and their O-Line. They completely bamboozled the Jets D. And that was WITH the return of Calvin Pace off a 4 game suspension, our best pass rusher. So much for that 3-0 start...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Including Jake Long the top pick last year, (who looks like the real deal) the Dolphins got a terrific offensive line. You won't get an argument here.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Yawn... wake me up when Peyton wins MVP

He's just been absolutely outstanding this year, and so have the Colts in general.

Offense is clicking even without Gonzalez and the Defense is standing up even without Bob Sanders.

I have a very good feeling about this year.

If Peyton and the Colts are going to win a second Super Bowl, it will be this year.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived