2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody seen Owen Schmitt knocked his head with his helmet and the bloody aftermath from Sunday's Jacksonville game?

If you're not squemish, click on the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjxI9OD3h3A

That's the same knucklehead from West Virginia, right?

Yup same idiot. That said it's been all over ESPN for the last 3 days... not the nicest of sights when you're sick

6fQjS3M.png

dood heez a warrier!112 he prolly shuda playd hockee!@#

He's a nutjob...it's obviously been proven. However, all the talking heads said his teammates loved it. Which says WAY more about them than it does about Schmitt.

But if leads to a 40-plus point absolute ass whoopin' then best believe that Jimmy Mora will have that crazy son of a bitch busting his head wide the f*** open every week. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I remember when I first got into the NFL you had coaches like Bill Walsh, Don Shula, Dan Reeves, Tom Landry who seemed to have been around forever. How many coaches can you say that of today? Fisher, Bellichick, I already feel like i am running out of names now!

I could have named Fisher, Reid, and The Hoodie, but had to look up who came after those three....

1994 - Jeff Fisher, Tennessee

1999 - Andy Reid, Philadelphia

2000 - Bill Belichick, New England

2002 - John Fox, Carolina

2003 - Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati & Jack Del Rio, Jacksonville

Look for this list to change next season as I have Fisher, Fox, and Del Rio on the hot seat.

Ah yes Andy Reid, how could I forget him. (Mind you I forgot Chuck Noll from my late 80s list as well!) Amazed how Del Rio has lasted as long, giving the hiring and firing culture in the NFL.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I remember when I first got into the NFL you had coaches like Bill Walsh, Don Shula, Dan Reeves, Tom Landry who seemed to have been around forever. How many coaches can you say that of today? Fisher, Bellichick, I already feel like i am running out of names now!

I could have named Fisher, Reid, and The Hoodie, but had to look up who came after those three....

Look for this list to change next season as I have Fisher, Fox, and Del Rio on the hot seat.

Ah yes Andy Reid, how could I forget him. (Mind you I forgot Chuck Noll from my late 80s list as well!) Amazed how Del Rio has lasted as long, giving the hiring and firing culture in the NFL.

Also given his performance. I think the best thing Del Rio has done as a coach was wear that sweet suit.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Also given his performance. I think the best thing Del Rio has done as a coach was wear that sweet suit.

He is still holding onto a record just above .500. But 3 winning seasons in 6 seasons as HC is not great. I think he is a guy who could go on to have more success somewhere else, but its amazing to think there are 5 coaches who have coached at there current team for as long as him, given what he has (or hasn't) achieved at Jacksonville.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

He is still holding onto a record just above .500. But 3 winning seasons in 6 seasons as HC is not great. I think he is a guy who could go on to have more success somewhere else, but its amazing to think there are 5 coaches who have coached at there current team for as long as him, given what he has (or hasn't) achieved at Jacksonville.

With the economy the way it is, Jacksonville probably doesn't want to be paying for two head coaches, since they'd have to come to some sort of contract buyout for Del Rio...then pay for another head coach.

I'm more in shock over Marvin Lewis' tenure as Bengals' head coach. IIRC, Lewis has only qualified his team for the playoffs once. On the other hand, I guess the bar is pretty low in Cinci. :rolleyes:

6uXNWAo.png

OK....so why should kids "play 60" when the Rams don't?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

"NFL: Fumble on their 2" doesn't pack the same marketing punch.

Did you know that 93 percent of today's children can see a task to completion? With these numbers in mind, the St. Louis Rams are teaming up with the rest of the NFL and other purveyors of distracting and ultimately meaningless entertainment to prevent children--our nation's future--from promptly and properly accomplishing things, with the new "NFL FUMBLE ON THEIR 2" initiative. This program encourages kids across the country to designate at least one homework assignment, chore, or basic human impulse to be attempted but ultimately abandoned, stymied, or otherwise squandered. Suggested ways for our young people to fumble on their 2 include:

-staying up until 4:45 a.m. to cram for a 1st period biology exam, only to pass out and sleep in, waking up well into the middle of 2nd period

-trying to make a bowl of soup for dinner, only to be discouraged by the complex instructions to "add water," thus going hungry for the night

-concluding a speech to the school board with "Hail Satan"

-raking leaves in the backyard, then jumping into the pile, re-dispersing all of the leaves and spraining your ankle

How can YOU fumble on their 2?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

With the economy the way it is, Jacksonville probably doesn't want to be paying for two head coaches, since they'd have to come to some sort of contract buyout for Del Rio...then pay for another head coach.

Del Rio would be highly likely to find another job somewhere I would imagine that would void his Jaguars contract, wouldn't it? But I see his contract last through the 2012 season, thats a lot of losing if things don't pick up!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

"NFL: Fumble on their 2" doesn't pack the same marketing punch.

Did you know that 93 percent of today's children can see a task to completion? With these numbers in mind, the St. Louis Rams are teaming up with the rest of the NFL and other purveyors of distracting and ultimately meaningless entertainment to prevent children--our nation's future--from promptly and properly accomplishing things, with the new "NFL FUMBLE ON THEIR 2" initiative. This program encourages kids across the country to designate at least one homework assignment, chore, or basic human impulse to be attempted but ultimately abandoned, stymied, or otherwise squandered. Suggested ways for our young people to fumble on their 2 include:

-staying up until 4:45 a.m. to cram for a 1st period biology exam, only to pass out and sleep in, waking up well into the middle of 2nd period

-trying to make a bowl of soup for dinner, only to be discouraged by the complex instructions to "add water," thus going hungry for the night

-concluding a speech to the school board with "Hail Satan"

-raking leaves in the backyard, then jumping into the pile, re-dispersing all of the leaves and spraining your ankle

How can YOU fumble on their 2?

Romo on the two going for a touchdown, only to fumble it to the opposing team that runs it back for the winning touchdown.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Gaines Adams to the Bears for a second rounder.

I'm not ready to call him a bust, but a second rounder seems risky. (Except then you consider that he was a 4th overall pick, then you see how he could be called a bust.) Seems like there may be a lot of selling this year by teams in the basement already.

IIRC, the female in the situation wanted to settle & one of the conditions of the settlement would be for him to admit that they had sex & that he assaulted her. Well lmao @ Ben saying "Yeah, I hit that. But screw that other nonsense, here's a countersuit."

If this is indeed an extortion attempt, I say good for Ben.

Gaines Adams to the Bears for a second rounder.

I'm not ready to call him a bust, but a second rounder seems risky. (Except then you consider that he was a 4th overall pick, then you see how he could be called a bust.) Seems like there may be a lot of selling this year by teams in the basement already.

There is also an issue which the Bears have with Tommie Harris. According to the Sun-Times, Harris' contract has clauses in it that are tied directly to playing time. Harris was on the field for only 56.08 percent of the time last season (623 of 1,111 snaps). That was tops among the tackles on the roster, but the figure was reduced because he missed one game with an injury and was suspended for a second game. A rough estimate is Harris would have been on the field for 64 percent of the snaps last if you project him over 16 games, so it's easy to see he's being used a little more than that right now.

There is a de-escalating roster bonus in 2012, the final year of his contract. The de-escalator has a maximum value of $8 million and a minimum value of $2 million. It dropped to $6.5 million after last season, and Harris has to participate in 74 percent of the team's defensive snaps and reach the Pro Bowl each season for it not to fall $1.5 million each year. Even if Harris is dominant and is named an all-star again, hitting the play-time trigger might be difficult. He's reached 74 percent just once in his career.

The issue the Bears have with Tommie Harris is that Tommie Harris isn't good enough to play in the NFL anymore.

Exactly. Remember the 2006 Tommie Harris :shocked: those were the days. I think Gaines Adams should be a good pickup, especially considering Harris' poor play. The only problem I see with this is the second round nobody the Bears would have taken with that pick. They always find someone who would randomly perform. (Hester, Forte, Knox)

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

The impression that I get (I'm a mighty mighty bosstone) is that Adams is going to back up Ogunleye and challenge Mark Anderson for playing time. Just looking at the guy, he doesn't look like he'd replace Tommie Harris. This guy's much leaner.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived