Phillies removed the World Series patches from their home jerseys

BigEd76

The Phils had the World Series Champions patches during their last home series against St. Louis two weeks ago....

3f4799a9-5425-4455-86a9-2fe504f72e29.jpg

...but they returned from the west coast a few days ago and didn't have the patches on their sleeves for any of the 3 games against Colorado....

1e489445-42b7-4e54-a1ab-e344cc9eb3b8.jpg

b8b6ec67-eedd-4a97-8509-c78a45bd88f1.jpg

b4964c16-7854-48b7-8e4f-419776b56f64.jpg

"It's time to work on this year," said Frank Coppenbarger, director of team travel and clubhouse services.

Read about this on Uniwatch, but honestly didn't even notice until then.

The patches should never have been there to begin with, but killing them after the all-star break was pretty smart, since they're officially in the stretch run and it's silly to still be celebrating last year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Agreed.

Take time to celebrate the accomplishment, but then get back to work.

Besides, even though I think they'll make the playoffs in a walk, there would be nothing worse than wearing a "World Champs" patch while playing out the end of a season if they didn't.

I wish everyone would stop saying that!!! They came from 7.5 down in mid-September to beat the Mets a few years ago, so I won't feel comfortable until the magic number is... well, 0.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Agreed.

Besides, even though I think they'll make the playoffs in a walk, there would be nothing worse than wearing a "World Champs" patch while playing out the end of a season if they didn't.

I wish everyone would stop saying that!!! They came from 7.5 down in mid-September to beat the Mets a few years ago, so I won't feel comfortable until the magic number is... well, 0.

But uh, the Mets are 11 GB, so you have nobody in front of you to collapse this year.

Sorry? :P

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Agreed.

But uh, the Mets are 11 GB, so you have nobody in front of you to collapse this year.

I'm telling you, the Marlins are going to win the World Series this year.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Agreed.

I'm telling you, the Marlins are going to win the World Series this year.

Not if they continue to give up late-inning leads, especially to the Nationals this past week.

So those 1921 (I think) Cleveland Indians jerseys were a lil over the top? You know, the ones that had "WORLD CHAMPIONS" across the front... In fact, I don;t think the team name or city was on the jersey anywhere....

So the Phillies are no longer the World Champions? Good. I hate the Phillies, so I'm glad they're no longer champs. But if the Phillies have forfeited the trophy, does that make the Rays the new World Champions?

Kidding aside, it's pretty clear what happened here. The Phillies finally decided to give into the complaints of their fans, who were upset that the World Champions patch made it harder for them to boo the Phillies. So to keep Phillies fans happy -- and by "happy" I mean "filled to the brim with boiling rage" -- the team took the ridicule-deflecting Championship patches off their sleeves. Now Phillies fans can boo their team without embarrassment. (I jest! At least the Phillies have fans, unlike other nearby National League teams that wear red.)

This really should be an either/or deal. You either don't wear a championship patch ever, because that sort of display is beneath you, or you wear it all season, because you're the world champs and you've earned it. Wearing it halfway is tacky and classless.

20082614447.png

So the Phillies are no longer the World Champions? Good. I hate the Phillies, so I'm glad they're no longer champs. But if the Phillies have forfeited the trophy, does that make the Rays the new World Champions?

Kidding aside, it's pretty clear what happened here. The Phillies finally decided to give into the complaints of their fans, who were upset that the World Champions patch made it harder for them to boo the Phillies. So to keep Phillies fans happy -- and by "happy" I mean "filled to the brim with boiling rage" -- the team took the ridicule-deflecting Championship patches off their sleeves. Now Phillies fans can boo their team without embarrassment. (I jest! At least the Phillies have fans, unlike other nearby National League teams that wear red.)

This really should be an either/or deal. You either don't wear a championship patch ever, because that sort of display is beneath you, or you wear it all season, because you're the world champs and you've earned it. Wearing it halfway is tacky and classless.

Wearing it at all is tacky and classless. I understand that the teams who have worn it (Boston, White Sox, Cardinals, Phillies) all went long times without winning, so this comment might sound funny, but aren't you supposed to "act like you've been there before?"

I find it tacky. Wear it a week, tops. Better yet, wear the World Series patch during the World Series and when the next season starts, focus on winning that season.

R

I agree. I liked it on the gold trimmed opening night jerseys, but that should have been it. And on a side note, when are people from the DC sports fan base gojng to realize that they can hate us all they want, but they arent, and will never be, a rival city? For as much as people down there hate Philly, I cant say that 2 people around here give a rats ass about anyone down there.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

And on a side note, when are people from the DC sports fan base gojng to realize that they can hate us all they want, but they aren't, and will never be, a rival city? For as much as people down there hate Philly, I cant say that 2 people around here give a rats ass about anyone down there.

I dunno about you, but when two of City A's teams are in the same division of City B's teams, plus City A still having some bad blood when their hockey team was in the same division as City B's, logic tends to show that the two cities are rivals. Now granted, the Nationals aren't holding up their end of the bargain, and there's WAY too many Eagles fans who aren't from Pennsylvania or New Jersey around here for my liking, but Philadelphia is a rival city of Washington, IMO, as are New York(MLB, NFL, MLS), Pittsburgh(NHL), Dallas(I really shouldn't have to tell you this one) Atlanta(MLB, NHL, NBA), and Miami(MLB, NHL, NBA).

Wearing it at all is tacky and classless. I understand that the teams who have worn it (Boston, White Sox, Cardinals, Phillies) all went long times without winning, so this comment might sound funny, but aren't you supposed to "act like you've been there before?"

I find it tacky. Wear it a week, tops. Better yet, wear the World Series patch during the World Series and when the next season starts, focus on winning that season.

R

I'm pretty sure the Yankees will wear it next year if they win this year. It's just kind of something that started in the league. Not that the team couldn't say no to it, but if it had been all a team decision, the patches would likely be more designed to the teams aesthetic than to that of the World Series.

That is unless the Phillies are putting an end to the trend, but I bet it keeps up next year.

And on a side note, when are people from the DC sports fan base gojng to realize that they can hate us all they want, but they aren't, and will never be, a rival city? For as much as people down there hate Philly, I cant say that 2 people around here give a rats ass about anyone down there.

I dunno about you, but when two of City A's teams are in the same division of City B's teams, plus City A still having some bad blood when their hockey team was in the same division as City B's, logic tends to show that the two cities are rivals. Now granted, the Nationals aren't holding up their end of the bargain, and there's WAY too many Eagles fans who aren't from Pennsylvania or New Jersey around here for my liking, but Philadelphia is a rival city of Washington, IMO, as are New York(MLB, NFL, MLS), Pittsburgh(NHL), Dallas(I really shouldn't have to tell you this one) Atlanta(MLB, NHL, NBA), and Miami(MLB, NHL, NBA).

What bad blood? As far as Flyers fans are concerned, the Capitals are an afterthought. There is a pretty decent hatred of the Redskins. Nationals and Wizards? Who cares. Ask any true Philadelphia fan and they will tell you, Washington is not a rival. Kind of hard to be a rival with such a fair weather sports town.

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

I thought Philadelphia hated everyone.... And everyone in America hates Washington, so what's the problem?

Ahh gotta love the force fed stereotype of ESPN and the rest of the ignorant national media. Have you ever actually been to Philadelphia? Or are we all animals because a handful of people threw snowballs at a skinny Santa Claus 45 years ago?

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

What bad blood? As far as Flyers fans are concerned, the Capitals are an afterthought. There is a pretty decent hatred of the Redskins. Nationals and Wizards? Who cares. Ask any true Philadelphia fan and they will tell you, Washington is not a rival. Kind of hard to be a rival with such a fair weather sports town.

I tend to agree with some parts of this statement though the Flyers - Caps might have a budding rivalry developing. The Nats want to believe they are rivals to the Phillies but they simply get owned instead. I can't speak for the other two sports. And yes, DC is a fair weathered sports town as we're desperate for a winner in the Big Four.

I always felt like the Redksins were a huge deal, but the other three were just passing interests. I think Washington/Northern Virginia has too many transplants to really develop a good sports fan culture. There's also a certain something else going on in Washington that is kind of a sport but not really, which attracts attention with the fervor others reserve for the big sports.

DC United, of course!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived