WNBA Chicago Sky logo Concept

Patchez

First of all, it's a lousy name for a team! I don't like their current logo, or their colors.

But I thought since one of the coolest ways to see the sky & skyline over Chicago is through the reflection on the sculpture Cloud Gate "the Bean" in Millennium Park.

Sky2.png

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

you probably have already figured this out, but you posted this twice.

ANYWAY....

i think their current logo is boring....not that I follow the WNBA or anything..........

your idea is an improvement over their current logo, especially with the bean and buildings used in the design, which ties the team to the city.

really, i think some teams should come to this site for some logo ideas, (see Buffaslug).

Vikings.png

VikingsCards.png

H.H.H. Metrodome - The greatest dome in the history of Minneapolis.

SCORE ONE FOR ORIGINALITY & CREATIVITY!

Now that's really a "Chicago's team" design, rather than some "generic metropolis team that could be moved but the name and logo would still make sense" one.

bYhYmxh.png

First of all, it's a lousy name for a team! I don't like their current logo, or their colors.

But I thought since one of the coolest ways to see the sky & skyline over Chicago is through the reflection on the sculpture Cloud Gate "the Bean" in Millennium Park.

ChicagoSky.png

Okay first off I have to say I've never seen "The Bean" so cant really comment from an accuracy stand point but I have to say as a way of tying the name to the city I think using the reflection in a local monument is a fantastic idea.

With that said I think there are a few wee design tweaks that could be made to really push this one to the max. The first and I know I bang on about it constantly is line weights. Now I could be wrong here but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the Ball and skyline were existing elements and you incorporated them into the bean? Am I right?

The reason I think this is if you look at the shading on the bottom of the ball you have an almost calligraphic line, it varies from thin to thick, but all the other lines in the piece are a constant thickness. If you vary up the line weights this logo will look ten times better I promise, and it's a good logo already. I mean the shape of the "bean" is just screaming out for on out line that behaves the same way as the shading on the ball. C'mon do it you know you want to! ;-)

Second thing is the type. Again the constant line weight and it's a little bland, take it away from the bean and it's not really anything special, I'll be honest it's nearly midnight here and I'm starting to flag with regards suggestions but the type needs pepping up a little. Dont go mad with it you dont want it to be a distraction but you want something that will work as a design element in it's own right as the team name will appear separate from the logo at times so needs to have some interest of it's own.

Great idea for what is quite an abstract name and excellent use of a city feature to tie it down geographically, top marks and I look forward to seeing any updates as and when they're done.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

From looking at the picture of the bean, I think the logo could look really good in sky blue and a shade of brown. It'd be very unusual and would reflect the sky and the ground under the bean as well.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

The irony is there is a new rumor that the Sky will be moving out of Chicago to the suburb of Rosemont!

Their landmark is a water tower with a rose on it!

Wow, they must really be drooling at the thought of 7,000 more empty seats :D

Patchez, I love the logo but when I first looked at it, I honestly thought it was some type of Scottish hat. Is there anything that can be done to make it look more like a bean?

GLENGARRY.jpg

I understand... but I believe in the idea that if one "does not get it, they just don't get it" i.e. logos like Expos "eM", Whalers "WH", Brewers "Mb" & the Houston Rockets current (one that I just don't get!?).

People from the Chicago area will recognize the "bean" and I believe, based one the activity I see there, many visitors to Chicago make a stop at the bean. Almost all take photos of themselves in their reflections and consequently share those images within their circle of friends.

Thus an expanding knowledge of the "bean." In addition (perhaps being a bit sexist here) I believe the demographics of most WNBA merchandise is female, perhaps mostly young girls. (again, perhaps thus the color scheme the Sky have!). IMHO the bean image would increase sales of Sky stuff!

I do agree with an earlier post suggesting the underside of the bean to be a color closer to the pavement surrounding the bean. My first thought was for this to be a secondary mark, keeping the teams current colors.

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

This is the first time I?m laying eyes (at least I know of) on a photo of the bean itself. So now that I?ve seen what it looks like, I now have an understanding of how the logo incorporates into it, and I?d like to congratulate you on doing a great job!

318378.jpg

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I say give the logo's colors a tweak. Change the yellow to red and you'll have the colors of Chicago's city flag.

Put four 6 pointed stars on it in over the skyline and it'll look even more so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Municipa..._of_Chicago.svg

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Very nice work with the logo, but I think the wordmark is very bland, looking at the Sky's real logo in your sig, it's pretty obvious which logo has the professional wordmark and which has the generic one. I would work on that, but I think you did a very good job rendering the logo.

I say give the logo's colors a tweak. Change the yellow to red and you'll have the colors of Chicago's city flag.

Put four 6 pointed stars on it in over the skyline and it'll look even more so.

I don't want to copy from the exiting Chicago Red Stars, of the Women's Professional Soccer League...

RedStars.jpg

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

BBTV taking a photo with the camera on the ground facing up underneath the thing, a week after it opened in 2004...

MillPark9_Reflection.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived