I've discovered the best team name in the depths of Africa.

max

Tourbillon FC

French-English translation: "whirlpool"

The soccer team to which this name belongs is based in N'Djamena, Chad on the border with Cameroon, on the opposite side of the country from Darfur in the capital city.

I think this name would work best with teams associated with water-sports or teams based near large bodies of water. N'Djamena is very close to Lake Chad.

The Chad Premier League 2009 teams (all teams based in N'Djamena)

1. Gazelle FC (league champs)

2. Renaissance FC (most prolific Tchadienne team in history, beautiful team name)

3. Tourbillon FC (1 of 3-5 great Chad teams in the history of the Premier League)

4. AS CotonTchad (Cameroonian counterparts AS Cotonsport are a bit better, but this is a good team too)

5. ELECT Sport (shortened from "Tout Puissant ELECT Sport de la Société Tchadienne d?Eau et d?Electricité")

6. Foullah Edifice (Chad is mostly Arab, but citizens also speak French)

7. AS DGSSIE (no idea what this is short for)

8. Toumai (the last letter has two dots instead of the one, "Too-ma-EE")

9. Postel 2000 (must be the postal service?)

10. NBK FC (team relegated after 2009 season ended August 23, used to be "Petro Sport FC")

11. Faucon Sporting ("Faucon" means "Falcon" in French, also relegated)

12. AS Douth (relegated, -43 Goal Differential, 8 pts in 19 matches in 2009)

Tourbillon FC

French-English translation: "whirlpool"

The soccer team to which this name belongs is based in N'Djamena, Chad on the border with Cameroon, on the opposite side of the country from Darfur in the capital city.

I think this name would work best with teams associated with water-sports or teams based near large bodies of water. N'Djamena is very close to Lake Chad.

The Chad Premier League 2009 teams (all teams based in N'Djamena)

1. Gazelle FC (league champs)

2. Renaissance FC (most prolific Tchadienne team in history, beautiful team name)

3. Tourbillon FC (1 of 3-5 great Chad teams in the history of the Premier League)

4. AS CotonTchad (Cameroonian counterparts AS Cotonsport are a bit better, but this is a good team too)

5. ELECT Sport (shortened from "Tout Puissant ELECT Sport de la Société Tchadienne d?Eau et d?Electricité")

6. Foullah Edifice (Chad is mostly Arab, but citizens also speak French)

7. AS DGSSIE (no idea what this is short for)

8. Toumai (the last letter has two dots instead of the one, "Too-ma-EE")

9. Postel 2000 (must be the postal service?)

10. NBK FC (team relegated after 2009 season ended August 23, used to be "Petro Sport FC")

11. Faucon Sporting ("Faucon" means "Falcon" in French, also relegated)

12. AS Douth (relegated, -43 Goal Differential, 8 pts in 19 matches in 2009)

In the depths of Africa? It's 2009... isn't it time to kill the "deepest darkest Africa" stigma?

That is a cool name tho, but I've always been partial to Hearts Of Oak... one of the most prolific and successful teams in the Ghana Football League (and all of Africa for that matter). One time I saw one of their jackets for sale at a soccer shop in Madison... I still kick myself to this day for not coppin' it (I was broke... stupid economy).

Illegal immigrants out of the UK! :cursing:

:D

I'm pretty sure he has permanent resident status (or whatever they call it in the UK).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 3 years later...
In the depths of Africa? It's 2009... isn't it time to kill the "deepest darkest Africa" stigma?

Deepest darkest Peru, however, is still okay.

paddingtonbearmarmite.jpg

<3

You freaking win. Never thought I'd see Paddington Bear on these boards.

The best (or worst?) team name has to be Deportivo Wanka of Peru. At least they don't play in the Wankdorf Stadium in Bern, Switzerland!

Please stop bumping up old posts.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The best (or worst?) team name has to be Deportivo Wanka of Peru. At least they don't play in the Wankdorf Stadium in Bern, Switzerland!

Please stop bumping up old posts.

Why not? I missed this thread the first time around, and I'm happy I read it this time. Pretty cool tidbits I learned right now.

Archived