NFL Schedule ? for 2010-2017

wdm1219inpenna

With Goddell dead set on making the season longer, which I totally disagree with, when will the league announce or decide if they plan on keeping the same scheduling formula for 2010-17 as was used from 2002-09? I personally love the way the formula works now. It seems as close to perfect as possible. All teams play one another at least once every 4 years, and at least once every 8 years, every team plays at every other team's city. I like the first place vs first place within the same conference idea as well. I like that all teams play the same number of divisional games finally (although that's been the case since 1995), and that they all play the same number of interconference games (4), which is one of countless issues I have with MLB's interleague scheduling.

I haven't heard, read, or found anything yet announcing whether the NFL intends to keep the same schedule format or not. I hope they do. I believe 32 teams is just enough. Personally 30 was good to me, since all 30 teams played 8 divisional games. Trouble w/that was interconference play and other scheduling oddities. Even though 32 teams might water down some of the talent, it's still pretty good right now because of the salary cap. If that goes away, and it seems like it probably will, then we're going to have Dallas in it every year, while other smaller market teams like the Steelers & Packers struggling, and that's a very bad thing for the NFL. I still hate the regular season game in London idea, and now too, the Bills will host a game in Toronto. So now that's 2 out of 256 NATIONAL Football League games that are INTERnational. Slowly the stuff this country once enjoyed is being taken from us, bit by bit, so we don't notice it or feel it too much. Soon the NFL is going to lose me as a fan if they don't get their act together again. Sorry I went off on a tangent, and didn't stick w/the scheduling question.

So now that's 2 out of 256 NATIONAL Football League games that are INTERnational. Slowly the stuff this country once enjoyed is being taken from us, bit by bit, so we don't notice it or feel it too much.

This is a reach.

Soon the NFL is going to lose me as a fan if they don't get their act together again.

ARE YOU A GIMMICK

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Personally I would agree with JQK that there is no problem with making a couple of pre season games part of the real schedule. A lot of teams seem to take the attitude that the point of the last 2 pre season games is to avoid injuries to big stars. Its a bit stunning to me that NFL teams play 1/5 of there schedule in warm ups, if you think of a 20 game schedule including pre season. To me that seems too high a number.

It would also allow the league to be more flexible scheduling games away from the US or in alternate stadiums, it might also allow the league to put pressure on clubs to lower ticket prices? I think there are definite advantages to an 18 game schedule.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

All teams play one another at least once every 4 years, and at least once every 8 years, every team plays at every other team's city.

Is that really guaranteed under the current system? If so, then I agree that it's as close to perfect as possible. I don't like that only 6 out of 16 games are division games, but I'm not sure that there is a better way to make it work.

Making the last two preseason games into week 1 & 2 is ok in my book.

I disagree. I don't see the need for 4 preseason games, but I think the 16-game schedule is pretty good. 18 games would really devalue division play.

It would also allow the league to be more flexible scheduling games away from the US or in alternate stadiums, it might also allow the league to put pressure on clubs to lower ticket prices? I think there are definite advantages to an 18 game schedule.

Why on earth would the league pressure clubs to lower ticket prices? That doesn't make any sense. In most NFL cities, if they announced that there was an extra home game, it'd be sold out at current prices instantly. Since most stadiums are primarily filled with season-ticket holders, and season-ticket holders are required to purchase 10-games (8 regular season + 2 preseason), the pricing would remain the same.

If anything, it could actually rise.

Take this example:

Under the current system, you have:

One season ticket @ $100/game = $1,000.

8 "real" games + 2 "fake" games = $125 / "real" game.

Under the new system, it'd be

9 "real" games + 1 "fake" game = $111 / "real" game.

In theory, the team could justify charging $1,125 for the same season ticket now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Definitely. As much as i like watching caleb hanie lead some incredible drives down the field against the Browns backup D, i think i can let go

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

What people fail to understand is the NFL never intended every preseason game to be televised and watched like a regular season game. The fans love for football and thirst for all things football led to it becoming possible for every team to have contracts with local stations to brodcast it. Then the owners got greedy seeing these exhibition games as an oppurtunity to charge fans full price and try to promote these games just like regular season games and also making season ticket holders buy the 2 home games in the preseason as part of their season ticket package. I think the 4 preaseason games are a bit much and with all the off season programs teams have now they should be able to evaluate the bubble guys on their roster that way and with just 2 preseason games.But I am really against any expansion of the regular season not because I don't like football, I love the game. However I think the owners are just doing this for money crying poor mouth when they are making billions of dollars(the NFL). It will water down the product and we all know how violent the NFL game is. A 16 game schedule is a battle of attrition as it is. The best team at the end of the season very often is the team that is most fortunate not to have any major injuries to their star players. Just imagine a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady being injured in a game 17 of an 18 schedule after they had already wrapped up a playoff spot. If it was the normal schedule that game would already be in the playoffs and yes injuries can happen at anytime but would'nt you rather have that happen when you are already in the playoffs then in meaningless week 17 game.Yes, you could sit out your players in game 17 or 18 but then what is the difference of that and sitting them out in the preseason either way it is a watered down product. The NFL game is just as perfect as it gets right now. I hope they can get a deal done and keep the salary cap as I would hate to see a great league go the way of MLB. I hate the idea of expansion especially overeseas. And don't see the need to bring regular season games to London,Japan or Mexico. Let them have the preseason games once they are reduced to 2 . With just 2 preseason games teams will leave the starters in longer giving the foreigners more of a real feel to the preseason games. Leave the regular season games to your loyal long paying customers. And I think that is all I have to say about that.

All teams play one another at least once every 4 years, and at least once every 8 years, every team plays at every other team's city.

Is that really guaranteed under the current system? If so, then I agree that it's as close to perfect as possible. I don't like that only 6 out of 16 games are division games, but I'm not sure that there is a better way to make it work.

As far as I can tell, yes.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I disagree. I don't see the need for 4 preseason games, but I think the 16-game schedule is pretty good. 18 games would really devalue division play.

Why on earth would the league pressure clubs to lower ticket prices? That doesn't make any sense. In most NFL cities, if they announced that there was an extra home game, it'd be sold out at current prices instantly. Since most stadiums are primarily filled with season-ticket holders, and season-ticket holders are required to purchase 10-games (8 regular season + 2 preseason), the pricing would remain the same.

If anything, it could actually rise.

Take this example:

Under the current system, you have:

8 "real" games + 2 "fake" games = $125 / "real" game.

Under the new system, it'd be

9 "real" games + 1 "fake" game = $111 / "real" game.

In theory, the team could justify charging $1,125 for the same season ticket now.

I'm not saying they would do it, but the NFL could lean on teams who don't sell out to lower ticket prices, and for teams to keep season ticket prices as they are now.

Franchises, my theory is, would be more likely to sell out with lower prices, and would make more money from 9 competitive games, so they couldn't use any arguments about losing money.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

As of now they're keeping the same rotation but changing the home/away for any teams that play the full NFC West or AFC West, due to travel concerns.

From 2002-2009, they went alphabetical, so anyone that visited Arizona also visited St. Louis, while anyone that visited San Francisco also visited Seattle. It's the same thing in the AFC, where anyone that visited Denver also visited Kansas City, while anyone that visited Oakland also visited San Diego.

Moving forward, the new pairings are as follows:

Arizona / San Francisco

St. Louis / Seattle

Denver / Oakland

Kansas City / San Diego

With Goddell dead set on making the season longer, which I totally disagree with, when will the league announce or decide if they plan on keeping the same scheduling formula for 2010-17 as was used from 2002-09? I personally love the way the formula works now. It seems as close to perfect as possible. All teams play one another at least once every 4 years, and at least once every 8 years, every team plays at every other team's city. I like the first place vs first place within the same conference idea as well. I like that all teams play the same number of divisional games finally (although that's been the case since 1995), and that they all play the same number of interconference games (4), which is one of countless issues I have with MLB's interleague scheduling.

I haven't heard, read, or found anything yet announcing whether the NFL intends to keep the same schedule format or not. I hope they do. I believe 32 teams is just enough. Personally 30 was good to me, since all 30 teams played 8 divisional games. Trouble w/that was interconference play and other scheduling oddities. Even though 32 teams might water down some of the talent, it's still pretty good right now because of the salary cap. If that goes away, and it seems like it probably will, then we're going to have Dallas in it every year, while other smaller market teams like the Steelers & Packers struggling, and that's a very bad thing for the NFL. I still hate the regular season game in London idea, and now too, the Bills will host a game in Toronto. So now that's 2 out of 256 NATIONAL Football League games that are INTERnational. Slowly the stuff this country once enjoyed is being taken from us, bit by bit, so we don't notice it or feel it too much. Soon the NFL is going to lose me as a fan if they don't get their act together again. Sorry I went off on a tangent, and didn't stick w/the scheduling question.

The NFL owners voted to retain the current rotation system "until further notice" about a year ago. So for at least 2010, the same rotation will be utilized.

Personally I think if they're going to expand the schedule, they should expand it from 16 regular season games to 18. Each team would play the three teams in its division twice each (6 games), then could play the four teams in two of their conference's other three divisions once each (8 games), plus the four teams in a division of the other conference (4 games). Rotate the intraconference matchups among divisions so you play everyone in your conference at least every other year, and keep the interconference matchup schedule as-is. Every team in a division then plays essentially the same opponents, as is the case now.

nav-logo.png

Archived