Junior back for 2010

Wasatch

This isn?t a big deal to most since Griffey is and old timer and something of the past, but to me he has the greatest swing of all-time, not to mention my favorite player ever! It?ll be good to see him in person at Safeco another few times the upcoming season.

Ken Griffey Jr. has reached agreement on a one-year deal to return to the Seattle Mariners in 2010, according to a baseball source.

The deal is similar to the 2009 contract that paid Griffey a base salary of $2 million and earned him $3.15 million total with incentives, the source said.

The Mariners are expected to make the official announcement Wednesday before the conclusion of the general managers' meetings in Chicago.

Griffey, 39, batted .214 in 117 games with the Mariners last season. But he hit 19 homers, drove in 57 runs and drew a team-leading 63 walks.

He was also credited with being a positive influence on Ichiro Suzuki and the Seattle clubhouse. The Mariners finished third in the AL West with an 85-77 record, after finishing last in the division with 61 victories in 2008.

Griffey ranks fifth on Major League Baseball's career list with 630 home runs.

Article

ken-griffey-jr.jpgjr.jpg

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Didn't see him play at all last year - does he really have anything left? It doesn't sound like he's a full-time starter anymore, and his average is pretty bad. I don't get how guys that were as good as he was can feel good about themselves just "hanging on" as role players on crappy teams. Maybe he feels like he still has it, and next season will be the year he proves it (and then if not, maybe the next season will be it, etc.) Or maybe he just can't imagine what his life would be without being a major-league player. I'm not sure. It's certianly his right to keep playing as long as someone will give him a contract, but as a fan, it's a shame to watch some of these guys as shells of their former selves.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Does he have anything left? Not really but I at least got to see him play in person twice, and I look forward to it again this year! I think he felt like he owed something to the Seattle fans, but I don't think any of us are expecting anything grand from his play, seeing how he's never been the same since originally leaving Seattle.

After playing one season where it all began in Seattle, I automatically assumed that 2009 was going to be Griffey's farewell season.

Good luck to him, but I'd rather see him call it good and retire. The last ten years have been a total trainwreck for Junior. For some reason, he was never the same after joining the Reds back in 2000.

6uXNWAo.png

Griffey was really the last athlete I really "idolized" as a kid, but after seeing him struggle the last couple of seasons, I honestly thought he was done. I guess that's how you know you're getting old...

I hope he can have a better year than .214 BA / 19 HR / 57 RBI. I doubt it, but I would love to see him get (relatively) hot for 6 months and once the smoke clears, he can walk away healthy and with great memories of his last season.

Oh, what could have been if not for those injuries. I almost wished "The Kid" used 'roids. I'd rather see him at 762 than Barry Bonds.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Does he have anything left? Not really but I at least got to see him play in person twice, and I look forward to it again this year! I think he felt like he owed something to the Seattle fans, but I don't think any of us are expecting anything grand from his play, seeing how he's never been the same since originally leaving Seattle.

He thought he owed below-mediocre play to the fans? That's like when I busted my azz at work, and my boss said that he felt like he owed me something, so he gave me NLCS tickets - for GAME 7 in a 5-game series.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

He thought he owed below-mediocre play to the fans? That's like when I busted my azz at work, and my boss said that he felt like he owed me something, so he gave me NLCS tickets - for GAME 7 in a 5-game series.

It?s not quite like that. Junior would be stupid to not acknowledge his loyal fans of Seattle, so he decided he owed it to them to retire as a Mariner, where it all began!

It's good to see him back. Sure, he may be old, but it'll be good to see him finish with Seattle. If I remember right, the Mariners finished 85-77 last year. Maybe the Kid (if you still want to call him that) will be able to produce for them, and possibly help to land them in the playoffs. I don't think he'd do any harm; last time I checked, he was quite a team player and somewhat of a leader.

It's good to see him back. Sure, he may be old, but it'll be good to see him finish with Seattle. If I remember right, the Mariners finished 85-77 last year. Maybe the Kid (if you still want to call him that) will be able to produce for them, and possibly help to land them in the playoffs. I don't think he'd do any harm; last time I checked, he was quite a team player and somewhat of a leader.

Junior was on that team though; this will be his second consecutive year for them.

.214/.324/.411 in the middle of your lineup IS doing harm, especially since he's a reliability in the field. As a Rangers fan, I love this move, because it prevents them from upgrading their offense through the DH.

I thought the Mariners had become a smarter organization than this with the arrival of Zduriencik. Are they so hard up that they have to trot out the corpse of Junior Griffey just to keep the turnstiles moving? If the Mariners can't replace .214/.324/.411 with better production for less money, their system is completely bereft.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

.214/.324/.411 in the middle of your lineup IS doing harm, especially since he's a reliability in the field. As a Rangers fan, I love this move, because it prevents them from upgrading their offense through the DH.

Don't you mean "liability"?

Yeah, his average and batting eye seems to have suffered with age, but he DOES surprisingly have a little pop left in his bat in the few times I saw him play in 2009. 19 HRs in 387 AB...not too shabby for someone who has played so long (21 years, going on 22)

Part-time DH maybe? :D (unless they get Matsui which I doubt)

He only cost them $2 million last year, so it's not like he's hurting the team's ability to sign other players.

87Redskins.png

$2,000,000 is still quite a bit of money for that production, isn't it? They must feel that his mere presence puts enough asses in seats to justify the investment. I'd have to believe you can get the same avg/obp/slg for less money, though admittedly such a hypothetical player wouldn't allow PNWers to relive the '90s.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

$2,000,000 is still quite a bit of money for that production, isn't it? They must feel that his mere presence puts enough asses in seats to justify the investment. I'd have to believe you can get the same avg/obp/slg for less money, though admittedly such a hypothetical player wouldn't allow PNWers to relive the '90s.

Trust me, teamed with his production, the fans he put in the seats, along with all the Griffey merchandise that was sold, they made their money back! After all, he?s the greatest player in franchise history, so a few favors can be pulled and it won?t affect the team in a negative way.

Didn't see him play at all last year - does he really have anything left? It doesn't sound like he's a full-time starter anymore, and his average is pretty bad. I don't get how guys that were as good as he was can feel good about themselves just "hanging on" as role players on crappy teams. Maybe he feels like he still has it, and next season will be the year he proves it (and then if not, maybe the next season will be it, etc.) Or maybe he just can't imagine what his life would be without being a major-league player. I'm not sure. It's certianly his right to keep playing as long as someone will give him a contract, but as a fan, it's a shame to watch some of these guys as shells of their former selves.

I'd put money on it that its this... he's been a major-leaguer pretty much his entire adult life.

Part-time DH maybe? :D (unless they get Matsui which I doubt)

They won't. Not now. I would previously have put the odds pretty high that Hideki would be paired with Ichiro in a huge play for the Japanese market. But now there's no place to put Matsui, who would probably have been a more productive DH for them.

Trust me, teamed with his production, the fans he put in the seats, along with all the Griffey merchandise that was sold, they made their money back! After all, hes the greatest player in franchise history, so a few favors can be pulled and it wont affect the team in a negative way.

Correct.

They aren't going to be any good next year anyway, with or without Griffey (or any other lefthanded platoon DH). :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived