2010 World Cup Group Stage Predictions

BrySmalls

The other group besides C, D, and G that interests me is group E, and not just because Holland is my second favorite team (besides the US). Denmark, Japan, and Cameroon are all manageable opponents form the Dutch perspective, but each presents a different challenge, and I can envision each making out of the group. I'd expect some decent matches in that group as well.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you imagine the :censored:-talking that's gonna happen from now until June 12th on bigsoccer? Aw man, England vs. USA.

Also looking like Group C may an early candidate for a Group of Death.

Really? I mean England and the States are pretty good, but Algeria and Slovenia? There might be an upset with the Algeria and Slovenia but aside from that, I hardly see that being the group of death.

Hi, how are you?

Can you imagine the :censored:-talking that's gonna happen from now until June 12th on bigsoccer? Aw man, England vs. USA.

Really? I mean England and the States are pretty good, but Algeria and Slovenia? There might be an upset with the Algeria and Slovenia but aside from that, I hardly see that being the group of death.

Group C won't be a group of death, England, USA, Algeria, & Slovenia. USA's gonna have a real good shot of getting out of this group.

Group G, however, will be. Brazil, North Korea, Cote D'Ivoire, & Portugal. OUCH.

Did you just stop reading the thread after that post? :P

I might do a modified World Cup pool myself - you'd be picking every game.

BTW, if the United States doesn't get out of this group, I'm going to be peeved. Neither Algeria nor Slovenia has ever made it out of the group stages before (blame the old rules for Algeria, at least partially).

USA might have it tough in the Round of 16 though, as it looks to be either Germany or Ghana. (A plays B, C plays D, E plays F, G plays H... then AB plays CD and EF plays GH.)

LvZYtbZ.png

I might do a modified World Cup pool myself - you'd be picking every game.

BTW, if the United States doesn't get out of this group, I'm going to be peeved. Neither Algeria nor Slovenia has ever made it out of the group stages before (blame the old rules for Algeria, at least partially).

USA might have it tough in the Round of 16 though, as it looks to be either Germany or Ghana. (A plays B, C plays D, E plays F, G plays H... then AB plays CD and EF plays GH.)

Don't overlook the Socceroos! They'll give Germany and Ghana a run for the top position. Imagine a USA - Australia match-up in the Round of 16.

Also, I'd be interested in joining your World Cup pool once that gets going.

You have to wonder how the North Koreans are taking the fact that they're the odd man out in the 'Group of Death'. Everyone is saying that Brazil, Portugal and the Ivory Coast will make them look bad.

But, history has a funny way of doing things... Ask Italy.

Also, I have to think that with France in Group A, FIFA might of rewarded them because of the handball. I have to think there are a lot of pissed off Irish fans thinking that it should be them in Group A and not the French.

You have to wonder how the North Koreans are taking the fact that they're the odd man out in the 'Group of Death'. Everyone is saying that Brazil, Portugal and the Ivory Coast will make them look bad.

But, history has a funny way of doing things... Ask Italy.

Also, I have to think that with France in Group A, FIFA might of rewarded them because of the handball. I have to think there are a lot of pissed off Irish fans thinking that it should be them in Group A and not the French.

Its not 1966, and even still the Portuguese managed to beat the North Koreans in 1966!! It would be amazing to the soccer world if North Korea got anything out of that group.

There was a theory before the draw that France were being punished by not being given a seeding in the draw. It at least seemed a fair draw, without any hint of a possibility of rigging it, so I wouldn't say France has been rewarded. They got a bit lucky! (Though I think that Mexico, South Africa and Uruguay all aren't quite as much pushovers as they might immediately seem!) Speaking of 1966, Mexico, Uruguay and France have all appeared in the same world cup with a host nation once before, with England in 1966.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I'm confident the Dutch can get through Group E without much trouble barring injuries.

And on another note I got 3 of the 4 correct im Group A

You and buzzcut had the most amount of correct picks with five each for a total of 10 points.

Next were sizemorematters and raysox who had four correct picks with a total of 8 points;

Cap had three correct picks for a total of 6 points;

Saintsfan, Billy B, and myself had two correct picks for a total of 4 points each.

Lesson for 2014: Outside of the host nation and the top seeds, it's really anyone guess how the groups are selected.

Group C won't be a group of death, England, USA, Algeria, & Slovenia. USA's gonna have a real good shot of getting out of this group.

Group G, however, will be. Brazil, North Korea, Cote D'Ivoire, & Portugal. OUCH.

Did you just stop reading the thread after that post? :P

My bad.

On the topic of Group G, the Portuguese will need to step it up to a "whole 'nutha level" if they want to get past the group stage.

Hi, how are you?

For those interested:

Requirements: Deisre to outsmart the CCSLC in accurately predicting the World Cup.

Open to: Anyone; Be it now or before the first kickoff in June 2010.

Play ESPN Soccernet Bracket Predictor on ESPN.com.

First select which two teams will advance out of each the eight groups. The order you select them - 1st or 2nd - determines where they are placed in the 16-team bracket. Then predict the winner of the 15 bracket matches throughout the Finals. All picks lock with the first kickoff on Friday, June 11, 2010. Good luck!

Get in the action now:

http://games.espn.go.com/bpredictor/en/group?groupID=402

Group: CCSLC World Cup

Password: Footy2010

The password is not working

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It worked for me earlier today. Make sure you don't just double-click and paste, as it tends to add a space after it.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived