Will the WC2010 draw affect the design of currently unreleased kits?

Mingjai

With the WC2010 draw today, I got to thinking--does anyone think that the draw will affect the design of the currently unreleased kits?

For those that don't know, here's the draw:

A- South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

B- Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece

C- England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia

D- Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana

E- Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon

F- Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia

G- Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal

H- Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

It was pointed out over at SBI that every team in group C wears white as a primary kit. If ESPN is to believed, the US is listed as the away team for all three of its matches. Does this mean that we might see the US use red and blue kits in SA instead of the usual white?

I know there's a marathon thread on WC2010 kits, but I thought this deserved its own thread.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

The simple answer to the question is no, it won;t have any affect.

On choices of kit, I believe I am right in saying that in world cup games teams take turns in changing kits, so if the last time that, say, Spain played Chile in a world cup finals match, Spain changed kit, this time Chile would change kit. If the two teams haven't played at all at a finals and a change is needed, I believe a toss of coin would decide who changes. If I am wrong about the first bit, then it just goes on a toss of a coin, there are no 'home' or 'away' teams, all matches are at a neutral venue. (Even those including the host).

I believe that Algeria's home kit is in fact green, though I might be wrong about that, but anyways I would expect there is a good chance that the US will need to wear its change kit at least once during the competition with that draw.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

i personally expected this thread to be about DTOM, and if we'll go full-out DTOM considering we're playing the nation that the slogan was created to oppose.

This is far too good of an idea. US Soccer would never do it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I really wish they'd play up the "Don't Tread on Me" theme in their jerseys and marketing. It'd fit well, with the rest of the world not exactly respecting U.S. soccer. Plus, I think more people would get behind the aggressiveness of the snake.

I've never considered getting any U.S. National Team merchandise before, but I will absolutely be getting this for Christmas. It's beautiful:

Don't Tread on Me Flex-Fit Cap

1. For the most part, the designs are done well in advance. The draw for the Finals shouldn't affect the kit designs. They aren't intended to be that short-sighted.

2. Kit selection for each game is done by rotation based on the seeding within the groups. Everyone in each group get their first-choice at kits at least once. The previous meeting between teams means nothing here. The US will be "away" against England & Slovenia, and "home" against Algeria.

FIFA.com - WC Finals Schedule

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I really wish they'd play up the "Don't Tread on Me" theme in their jerseys and marketing. It'd fit well, with the rest of the world not exactly respecting U.S. soccer. Plus, I think more people would get behind the aggressiveness of the snake.

I've never considered getting any U.S. National Team merchandise before, but I will absolutely be getting this for Christmas. It's beautiful:

This is one time when I would be totally behind going with the more aggressive logo. It's beautiful, and so much better than the miscolored shield.

I fear that Philadelphia Union may have co-opted the snake, and the MNT will now back off.

This is one time when I would be totally behind going with the more aggressive logo. It's beautiful, and so much better than the miscolored shield.

I fear that Philadelphia Union may have co-opted the snake, and the MNT will now back off.

I think it would be a pretty interesting switch due to the fact that the eagle has always been the animal of choice for the USA. It definitely makes for a pretty dynamic logo. I can see them wrapping it around a sleeve up the shoulder or something. That would be nice.

What is the rule with respect to shorts? Can two teams wear dark shorts? How about two teams wearing light socks? What if the away team wears shorts that are similar in colour to the home teams shirt? I ask because, for the Netherlands v. Denmark match, Netherlands would usually wear Orange/White/Blue, and Denmark would wear White/Red/White as their change strip. I don't want the Dutch to be forced to wear their all orange look..as I'm not a fan. Does anyone know the rules?

What is the rule with respect to shorts? Can two teams wear dark shorts? How about two teams wearing light socks? What if the away team wears shorts that are similar in colour to the home teams shirt? I ask because, for the Netherlands v. Denmark match, Netherlands would usually wear Orange/White/Blue, and Denmark would wear White/Red/White as their change strip. I don't want the Dutch to be forced to wear their all orange look..as I'm not a fan. Does anyone know the rules?

standard football rules are that shirts, shorts, and socks must not clash. if you watch european football, you will never see two sides with the same matching colors for any particular one of these. of course, the MLS pays no attention to these rules.

standard football rules are that shirts, shorts, and socks must not clash. if you watch european football, you will never see two sides with the same matching colors for any particular one of these. of course, the MLS pays no attention to these rules.

There are no standard rules over this actually. Different competitions have different rules. The ruling body of the competition is free to set whichever rules it wants.

FIFA Does, I believe, mandate no clashing shorts or socks for international competitions. England have a set of navy shorts for clashes with white shorts.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• 2 weeks later...

Archived