My future tattoo

bigcoyotes

Hello. I've been a member of this site for a while and have seen some awesome designs. I am in the middle of designing a tattoo for myself. Its a memorial for my grandpa who passed away when I was 13. I've wanted to get a tattoo that is a memorial to him for sometime. Last night an idea came to me so I've been working on it. Here is the original:

JMtattoo-1.jpg

The idea I have is my grandpa loved ties and flags. So what I want to do is have a tie hanging off the m. I drew one last night and here is what I got (The JM is gray so I could draw over it easier, I want the JM to be black when its actually tattooed on me):

JMTattooTie2-1.jpg

Here is a close up:

JMTattooTie-1.jpg

The advice I need is that I'm not sure how to create the tie on my computer so when I go to the tattoo shop they can trace it easier and so it looks better than a crappy hand drawing.

I hope you guys can help!

raiders-2.png

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it looks too generic...i think tattoos are something that should really look custom made and unique. it should never look typed out. remember this is a permanent thing.

for example...i think the JM would look great in a custom looking olde-english type font. maybe use the tie as a scroll to put "in loving memory" on.

and any decent tattoo shop would be able to use a neatly drawn hand drawing. i mean, thats what they usually do to create them in the first place.

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

it looks too generic...i think tattoos are something that should really look custom made and unique. it should never look typed out. remember this is a permanent thing.

for example...i think the JM would look great in a custom looking olde-english type font. maybe use the tie as a scroll to put "in loving memory" on.

and any decent tattoo shop would be able to use a neatly drawn hand drawing. i mean, thats what they usually do to create them in the first place.

And that would make it more unique how? Old English letters are way overdone, but a custom font would definitely work better than generic block. I'm not sure what to do for the tie though.

spacer.png

And that would make it more unique how? Old English letters are way overdone, but a custom font would definitely work better than generic block. I'm not sure what to do for the tie though.

My original Idea was old english but it looked too "ganster" for my liking. A tattoo shop could draw it but I want to try first. A custom font would be nice but I'm no designer. I do like the way I drew the tie but it looks a little off and I don't know how to fix it

raiders-2.png

My suggestion is to ditch the "JM", heck and even the "In Loving Memory" which I think is like old english type for tattoos and way over done. I say do a flag tie and put the JM in the flag tie. Be creative. Maybe have it tied around your arm with the "JM" at the very bottom. Make it a conversational piece. Too many tattoos are cliche. Do something more unique for him than the typical "In Loving Memory" and "JM".

My suggestion is to ditch the "JM", heck and even the "In Loving Memory" which I think is like old english type for tattoos and way over done. I say do a flag tie and put the JM in the flag tie. Be creative. Maybe have it tied around your arm with the "JM" at the very bottom. Make it a conversational piece. Too many tattoos are cliche. Do something more unique for him than the typical "In Loving Memory" and "JM".

I like your idea but I want the tattoo on the top left corner of my back.

raiders-2.png

A tattoo shop could draw it but I want to try first. A custom font would be nice but I'm no designer.

if you're going to a good tattoo artist, you should be able to give him/her a pretty good general description and get a couple of options/interpretations during the initial consultation...you're admittedly not a designer, but tattoo artists ARE...let a professional handle it and i'd be willing to bet you'll be happy with the results (if you're going to a good artist)

jldesigns404eo.png

How about a monogram with interlocking letters? If you wanted to be really awesome, you could get a band tattooed around your neck and have the tie continue down your chest.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

No offense, but when I saw that tie I thought toilet paper. I can't be the only one.

so did i..thats why i added the clip...but having a design on it should take care of that issue

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

hows this?

tattoo2.jpg

Do you even really need all the embellishments? If you just used the tie, with your grandfather's initials and years of birth/death, it would be easier to draw, and look less like an embroidery or gravestone carving.

Too many people have tattoos with script or Old English lettering. Your skin is like toilet paper...it will soak up ink and muddy up really intricate designs. For a smaller design like this, I think you should go with simpler lettering, and the fewer characters the better.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Do you even really need all the embellishments? If you just used the tie, with your grandfather's initials and years of birth/death, it would be easier to draw, and look less like an embroidery or gravestone carving.

Too many people have tattoos with script or Old English lettering. Your skin is like toilet paper...it will soak up ink and muddy up really intricate designs. For a smaller design like this, I think you should go with simpler lettering, and the fewer characters the better.

I understand what you are saying. I like the tie and the whole set up. Maybe I can put my idea and his idea together. The reason my original idea had the JM initials is because I had it on my football helmet my junior and senior year

raiders-2.png

Archived