Padres to wear retro uniforms

grmuckrakers

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Padres fan since 1974, I must admit I love the throwbacks, or at least the idea, and I would love to see the Padres return to brown and gold, which to me, are the Padres. I do agree with others on this thread in that the current style of modern players wearing uniforms does not help the throwbacks, inasmuch as pants all the way to the ankles and baggy uniforms. Part of the coolness for the Padres was the brown stirrups and gold sanitary socks, as well as the white shoes.

Even by keeping the existing uniforms wordmark, but changing the colors to brown and gold would be a huge improvement. The Padres caps from 1973-79 were very cool, and the only team that I know of that had a front colored panel that did not include all of the front two panels of the cap, a la Milwaukee Brewers road caps in the 1970s-80s, Expos, Blue Jays, etc.

I agree. The throwback caps made by New Era have failed to get the front thin gold panel correct in size, and the numeral fonts on the throwbacks are off, for the most part. The best job that Majestic did with TBTC Padres uniforms was the 1976 home TBTC jerseys worn in 2006. I have one in my collection (game used Waller), and it is very close to the Roger Craig 1976 game used I have.

Suggestion: Padres current home uniform with navy replaced by brown. Current word mark in brown outlined in gold. Brown numbers on the back outlined in gold. Gold sanitary socks, brown stirrup hose, white shoes, caps match the 1973-79 caps. Road would be the same as home but in gray instead of white. Alternate brown jersey with word mark Padres in white, outlined in gold.

Thanks.

4) New Era figured out how to properly replicate the front panel of the Padres' caps.

This is the biggest travesty of these "throwback" uniform sets, I have never seen a proper replication of the 1984 or 1978 caps. Ever. All the companies that have tried to replicate the cap have failed. Somewhere on this site someone posted all of the retro Padres cap fails. All of the panels are screwed up. Most of the "SD" fonts are incorrect. No different this year, the yellow panel is way too big on the cap (this is the same version they sell here in the local Hatlands and hat kiosks).

In today's games, they all wore number 42 with no NOB. Hard to tell who was who out there. The font for the RAK was really tall on the left sleeve. As noted elsewhere, the uni looked funny in the current baggy style. They also got the Braves caps wrong, in 1984 the "A" was white with red trim, today the "A" was white.

ef7199159f0e711788a2575f378d95a7-getty-97600698_braves_padres____usa_v_mexico.jpg

661000efe3b1bd4af8138774a74138c9-getty-97600698_braves_padres____usa_v_mexico.jpg

I like the effort on both jerseys, but I think this just goes to show how stupid the baggy look is in this sport. Hockey went to more fitted uniforms, the NFL uniforms are so tight that sleeves are gone, the NBA is pretty much the same as it always was, and then baseball has gone in the other direction.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The NBA isn't the same at all. Compare John Stockton's short-shorts to LeBron James's culottes.

I think baggy baseball uniforms can look sloppy, but consider that for most players, most of a baseball game consists of sitting around or standing around. I guess it's good to be comfy.

Paradoxically, big heavy hockey sweaters seem to make more sense than the Edge system, because at least they absorb moisture rather than wicking it away. And where does it go? Has to go somewhere: into your gloves. Now teams have to vacuum the sweat out of their gloves after shifts.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The NBA isn't the same at all. Compare John Stockton's short-shorts to LeBron James's culottes.

I think baggy baseball uniforms can look sloppy, but consider that for most players, most of a baseball game consists of sitting around or standing around. I guess it's good to be comfy.

That's pretty much my opinion on the baggy baseball look. I know that when I played I loved baggy uniforms. It was just more comfortable for me.

Paradoxically, big heavy hockey sweaters seem to make more sense than the Edge system, because at least they absorb moisture rather than wicking it away. And where does it go? Has to go somewhere: into your gloves. Now teams have to vacuum the sweat out of their gloves after shifts.

Yep. Definitely something that the guys behind the Edge sweaters didn't think about. Of all the changes in uniform design/technology the Edge alone seems to be change for the sake of change.

Maybe I'm part of a very small group of people in the world, but I absolutely adore the Padres brown, yellow and orange unis that someone posted on this thread. Its such an unbelievable combo that no other team in sports have right now. It completely boggles my mind that they haven't capitalized on that look. Why not bring it back???? The current look its total garbage. If you could take advantage of a unique look that looks great then why would you not jump on it? Seriously, they need to make a move now.

I think player comfort is the most important thing. Who cares if someone is wearing baggy pants or shorts? If it helps them play good fine! no one wants to see a baseball player with shrunk pee wee herman pants do we? no he wouldn't even be able to run. and trust me no one wants to see lebron in john stockton shorts, we don't need to see his junk. Women's sports are the only place were tight is good. This is why we watch volleyball and softball

Player comfort is certainly the most important thing, because a player who is thinking even a little about how restrictive his sleeves are, or how tight his pants are, is not focusing 100% on what he's supposed to be doing. However, with today's stretchy and moisture-wicking materials, don't dismiss super-tight as being uncomfortable. How many athletes wear compression gear or underarmour when they work out? It doesn't restrict movement at all IMO.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe I'm part of a very small group of people in the world, but I absolutely adore the Padres brown, yellow and orange unis that someone posted on this thread. Its such an unbelievable combo that no other team in sports have right now. It completely boggles my mind that they haven't capitalized on that look. Why not bring it back???? The current look its total garbage. If you could take advantage of a unique look that looks great then why would you not jump on it? Seriously, they need to make a move now.

Total agreement

Archived