Padres to wear retro uniforms

grmuckrakers

The Padres' current set would be awesome if they could tighten it up a little bit. Let us count the ways:

1) Throw out the hat with the plain white SD monogram and just use the beige/white one. The "home cap" is redundant. All second hats are.

2) Drop the "San Diego" bowtie script for a road script that matches the smooth breezy feel of the "Padres" script on some conceptual level, if not following it exactly, since that's probably kinda hard to fit without tilting it or something like that. At the very least, they should look like they came from the same place, so to speak. I know the bowtie is supposed to evoke a lighthouse beacon, but that's really abstract at best and a complete reach at worst.

3) Fade the khaki color a little closer to grey so that nobody can accuse them of looking "urine-soaked," which would also ideally scale back the overuse of the "polo 'n' slacks" look they so often sport by wearing the navy blue thirds instead of the road jersey. Doesn't have to be a perfect zero-saturation grey, but surely there's a happy medium.

4) The one-color block lettering for NOBs looks low-rent. It has to match the numbers.

That should just about do it. No need to yearn for bad late '70s fare. The sand/sea/sky motif is nice.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a big fan of this. I am sure there are many fans like myself who love the old 70s/80s Padres colors and look.

Why Thursday afternoon games is a good question, but I am guessing those are poorly attended games and this is an attempt to boost attendance.

This is great news. A whole lot of teams are milking these throwback days but whatever... throwbacks are usually better.

Not to hijack the thread here, but an observation I've made it that "throwbacking" is not limited to sports anymore. I've noticed a whole lot more late 60's/early 70's Hot Wheels castings then I did when I was a kid from that era.

sig1.gif

• 3 months later...

Bumping this because the Padres will be busting out the '84 throwbacks tomorrow. The Braves will also wear '84 throwbacks as well. Prepare yourselves for

nl_1984_sandiego.gif

vs.

nl_1984_atlanta.gif

If they actually have correct fitting pullovers instead of that super baggy nonsense, this will be awesome.

I like that Braves road uni better than the home. That's what they were wearing when I started watching baseball, right before the (at the time radically-nostalgic) change to the current set (sans stupid road cap.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Needs more sleeve feather.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Braves will also wear '84 throwbacks as well.

nl_1984_atlanta.gif

OOH! I'm in heaven!!! This lifelong Braves fan has a huge love for those red white and blue home beauts and the powder blue road set. I still have my two mesh-backed solid blue Braves hats from 1986, and I might have to bust one out tomorrow. :)

I would LOVE to find a blank Majestic replica of that home uni, and get it customized with HORNER 5 on the back...

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

The Padres' current set would be awesome if they could tighten it up a little bit. Let us count the ways:

1) Throw out the hat with the plain white SD monogram and just use the beige/white one. The "home cap" is redundant. All second hats are.

2) Drop the "San Diego" bowtie script for a road script that matches the smooth breezy feel of the "Padres" script on some conceptual level, if not following it exactly, since that's probably kinda hard to fit without tilting it or something like that. At the very least, they should look like they came from the same place, so to speak. I know the bowtie is supposed to evoke a lighthouse beacon, but that's really abstract at best and a complete reach at worst.

3) Fade the khaki color a little closer to grey so that nobody can accuse them of looking "urine-soaked," which would also ideally scale back the overuse of the "polo 'n' slacks" look they so often sport by wearing the navy blue thirds instead of the road jersey. Doesn't have to be a perfect zero-saturation grey, but surely there's a happy medium.

4) The one-color block lettering for NOBs looks low-rent. It has to match the numbers.

That should just about do it. No need to yearn for bad late '70s fare. The sand/sea/sky motif is nice.

I agree with all of this, but I would also suggest they lose the navy in favour of brown.

Bumping this because the Padres will be busting out the '84 throwbacks tomorrow. The Braves will also wear '84 throwbacks as well. Prepare yourselves for

nl_1984_sandiego.gif

vs.

nl_1984_atlanta.gif

If they actually have correct fitting pullovers instead of that super baggy nonsense, this will be awesome.

maybe they will honor those unis by engaging in this activity again

Padres vs Braves

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

4) New Era figured out how to properly replicate the front panel of the Padres' caps.

This is the biggest travesty of these "throwback" uniform sets, I have never seen a proper replication of the 1984 or 1978 caps. Ever. All the companies that have tried to replicate the cap have failed. Somewhere on this site someone posted all of the retro Padres cap fails. All of the panels are screwed up. Most of the "SD" fonts are incorrect. No different this year, the yellow panel is way too big on the cap (this is the same version they sell here in the local Hatlands and hat kiosks).

In today's games, they all wore number 42 with no NOB. Hard to tell who was who out there. The font for the RAK was really tall on the left sleeve. As noted elsewhere, the uni looked funny in the current baggy style. They also got the Braves caps wrong, in 1984 the "A" was white with red trim, today the "A" was white.

ef7199159f0e711788a2575f378d95a7-getty-97600698_braves_padres____usa_v_mexico.jpg

661000efe3b1bd4af8138774a74138c9-getty-97600698_braves_padres____usa_v_mexico.jpg

In today's games, they all wore number 42 with no NOB. Hard to tell who was who out there. The font for the RAK was really tall on the left sleeve. As noted elsewhere, the uni looked funny in the current baggy style. They also got the Braves caps wrong, in 1984 the "A" was white with red trim, today the "A" was white.

That Braves cap is correct. The one with the red trim around the "A" was only worn with the home uniform.

Plus,i was disappointed that the Padres didn't break out the white cleats for this game today as well

Archived