2009-10 NFL off season thread

Saintsfan

This whole Reliable Game Manager myth kinda needs to end. There have been numerous days where he couldn't find his ass with both hands. Orton straight-up sucked ass at points with the Broncos and Bears, especially the second half or so of last year when interceptions stopped fortuitously bouncing into touchdowns and other weird things stopped happening, contributing in no small part to the relieving demise of that obnoxious idiot coach's team.

But then again Favre lead the collapse of the Jets in 2008, and then the Vikes into the playoffs in 2009.

I'm not sure what Brett Favre has to do with Kyle Orton. For all the Favre fellatio, nobody fallaciously claims that he's a steady hand that keeps the offense grinding; he's correctly characterized (and beloved/despised) as a reckless loon whose reach increasingly exceeds his grasp, which is frustrating when he's not performing amazing unthinkable feats. Favre drove the Jets into the ground because he was playing hurt and stupid, and he was apparently the only person his birdbrained lardass martinet of a coach couldn't scream at and boss around. Kyle Orton drove the Broncos into the ground because he's a backup quarterback.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This whole Reliable Game Manager myth kinda needs to end. There have been numerous days where he couldn't find his ass with both hands. Orton straight-up sucked ass at points with the Broncos and Bears, especially the second half or so of last year when interceptions stopped fortuitously bouncing into touchdowns and other weird things stopped happening, contributing in no small part to the relieving demise of that obnoxious idiot coach's team.

But then again Favre lead the collapse of the Jets in 2008, and then the Vikes into the playoffs in 2009. Orton strikes me as a guy who deserves more of a decent run, somewhere. I was on record as saying the Orton trade was a decent deal for the Broncos. Interesting to see if Quinn or Orton starts for the Broncos in 2010.

This is your friendly reminder that the Favre-less Vikings made the playoffs in 2008 as well.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

But then again Favre lead the collapse of the Jets in 2008, and then the Vikes into the playoffs in 2009.

I'm not sure what Brett Favre has to do with Kyle Orton. For all the Favre fellatio, nobody fallaciously claims that he's a steady hand that keeps the offense grinding; he's correctly characterized (and beloved/despised) as a reckless loon whose reach increasingly exceeds his grasp, which is frustrating when he's not performing amazing unthinkable feats. Favre drove the Jets into the ground because he was playing hurt and stupid, and he was apparently the only person his birdbrained lardass martinet of a coach couldn't scream at and boss around. Kyle Orton drove the Broncos into the ground because he's a backup quarterback.

That made me LOL. Which reminds me, ran across some excellent videos on YouTube of Vikes fans reacting to Fav-ruh's late pick in the NFC Championship game. Their radio guy's call is also worth checking out. Those poor bastards.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I'm not sure what Brett Favre has to do with Kyle Orton.

My, I thought, self evident point was that even the best quarterback can lead a team through a late season collapse and hence thats not necessarily a judgement on how good the QB is. Orton had a pretty good 2009 even amidst a late season collapse. Indeed 3 of Orton's 250+ plus yards in 2009 came in the last 4 weeks of the season, and he only had more interceptions than touchdowns in 2 games. (Loses to Pittsburgh and Kansas City). Perhaps the search for reasons behind the Broncos post season collapse need to look beyond Orton.

Again I am not saying that Orton is a great QB, but he is not the worst either.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

My, I thought, self evident point was that even the best quarterback can lead a team through a late season collapse and hence thats not necessarily a judgement on how good the QB is. Orton had a pretty good 2009 even amidst a late season collapse. Indeed 3 of Orton's 250+ plus yards in 2009 came in the last 4 weeks of the season, and he only had more interceptions than touchdowns in 2 games. (Loses to Pittsburgh and Kansas City). Perhaps the search for reasons behind the Broncos post season collapse need to look beyond Orton.

This posits that 2009 Favre is among the best quarterbacks in the NFL, which is debatable. And the Viking's late season swoon was pretty heavily on Favre.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Retarded Ram fan :censored: storm in 5...4...3...

Today, we are all otaku.

Retarded Ram fan censored.gif storm in 5...4...3...

And with the first pick in the 2010 NFL Draft the St. Louis Rams select insert Quarterback name here...

Now, that will piss me off. None of the quarterbacks in the draft are franchise-caliber QBs from Day 1.

Today, we are all otaku.

Eagles news:

Eagles sign Mike Bell, but N.O. can match. Apparently no "poison pill", so it's just a matter of if the Saints still want him or not.

Eagles release former Pro Bowl guard and You Tube sensation Shawn "the Big Kid" "eDid" "S dot Andrews" Andrews. This guy is wacked out of his skull. Missed half a year with depression, and the rest of it (and all of last year) with mysterious back issues. I feel for anyone going through depression, but to do the things he did while he was out was crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYzDB5dXIIk

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This posits that 2009 Favre is among the best quarterbacks in the NFL, which is debatable. And the Viking's late season swoon was pretty heavily on Favre.

The vikes late season swoon was not really on Favre. He continued to play mistake free football, even while McKinnie (who had no business being elected to the Pro Bowl) was letting people go. It was bad O-line play and a step back by the "D" (after the McDaniel injury). Favre really never was the problem until the very last play.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Good to see him wind up in Washington. I think the Sex Cannon could really help get health care legislation passed, unless he fumbles the snap before he has a chance to pass.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Another offseason, another proposal to tweak overtime (at least in the playoffs)...

NFL owners will vote next week whether to allow each team a possession in overtime in the playoffs if the team winning the OT coin toss kicks a field goal on the first series.

I actually like this idea, and think it should be extended to the regular season. It gives offenses a stronger incentive to score a TD but keeps the field goal option open as a fallback, so defenses can't be sure which kind of score the opposing offense will be aiming for.

I hope the rule isn't worded literally as described in the article though, because it would create a gaping loophole. It should hinge on the team that receives the ball first, not the team that wins the coin toss. If a rule like this is adopted I can foresee more teams that win the coin toss electing to play defense first, so as long as they keep the other team out of the end zone the offense will know in advance what kind of score they have to get.

CCSLC signature.png

Eagles news:

Eagles sign Mike Bell, but N.O. can match. Apparently no "poison pill", so it's just a matter of if the Saints still want him or not.

Depends on whether Payton's still p***ed about Bell slipping down on the most important carry of his career because he wasn't wearing the right cleats for the field conditions. Go to 2:15 of this video to see the play and Payton's reaction as Bell comes off the field.

Payton's got a memory for this stuff too. I got a laugh out of his post-SB comment to Peter King, "Not bad for number 24, huh?" That's where King had the Saints in his pre-season power rankings. B)

Good to see him wind up in Washington. I think the Sex Cannon could really help get health care legislation passed, unless he fumbles the snap before he has a chance to pass.

Not if you actually like the 'Skins.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Eagles news:

Depends on whether Payton's still p***ed about Bell slipping down on the most important carry of his career because he wasn't wearing the right cleats for the field conditions. Go to 2:15 of this video to see the play and Payton's reaction as Bell comes off the field.

Payton's got a memory for this stuff too. I got a laugh out of his post-SB comment to Peter King, "Not bad for number 24, huh?" That's where King had the Saints in his pre-season power rankings. cool.gif

Heard this "rumor" on the news this morning - just a "rumor" - for all I know, it was started by the guy reporting it.

Saints send Reggie Bush and #1 pick (32 overall) to Seattle for their #1 and one of their RBs

Seattle sends N.O.'s #1 pick and possibly Hasselback to Philadelphia

Philadelphia sends McNabb and a case of Chunky Sirloin Burger soup to Seattle.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Eagles news:

Payton's got a memory for this stuff too. I got a laugh out of his post-SB comment to Peter King, "Not bad for number 24, huh?" That's where King had the Saints in his pre-season power rankings. cool.gif

Heard this "rumor" on the news this morning - just a "rumor" - for all I know, it was started by the guy reporting it.

Saints send Reggie Bush and #1 pick (32 overall) to Seattle for their #1 and one of their RBs

Seattle sends N.O.'s #1 pick and possibly Hasselback to Philadelphia

Philadelphia sends McNabb and a case of Chunky Sirloin Burger soup to Seattle.

I think the Saints would need more to make that deal. If Seattle would also swap picks in the 2nd round this year (i.e. Saints to 6th, Seahawks to 32nd) and/or throw in a #2 or #3 pick next year, maybe that would be a good trade for the Saints.

Looks like Seattle signed a new QB for starter money, so I"m not sure they're in the McNabb market anymore, despite rumors. That sucks - looks like Seattle is out, Arizona may be out, the d-bag is likely coming back to Minnesota so they're out. Unless SF realizes they need a QB, we're hosed.

Archived