2009-10 NFL off season thread

Saintsfan

This would be a great move for the Vikings, Adrian Peterson could carry the burden but LT could be relied on to make the big play, ie carry the ball when a first down is needed and you dont trust Peterson not to put ball on the ground.

I still disagree. Over the last four seasons, his yards/attempt has been this:

2006: 5.2 (2323 yards from scrimmage with 1815 rushing in 16 games)

2007: 4.7 (1949 yards from scrimmage with 1474 rushing in 16 games)

2008: 3.8 (1536 yards from scrimmage with 1110 rushing in 16 games)

2009: 3.3 (884 yards from scrimmage with 740 rushing in 14 games)

He is done as a back. "Edgerrin James with more endzone carries".

730 yards and 12 rushing touchdowns is far from being "done". Think of a Wildcat with Percy, Peterson, and LDT. Then give them Tebow and Farve comes for another year. Not to mention they would have Sidney Rice and Bernard Berrian on the outsides. At that point do you think Tomlinson could be serviceable? I think so. Its not as much as what he has left in the tank... its what is around him. Oh yeah... Steve Hutchinson, Bryant McKinnie and Phil Loadholt are blocking. Did i mention that?

He still would not be in a Wildcat, a formation he did not use in SD. Since 2007, he has thrown 2 passes. That is something to defend. His yards per attempt are falling at the same rate as Alexander. Chester Taylor's lowest YPA was 3.6, wait, I failed to mention that.

If he still has so much left, why wasn't he signed on Friday or Saturday, but Thomas Jones, one year older, was already signed? Plus, you want them to draft Tebow, then sign Favre (again)? Where is that money going to come from? Industry, CA?

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tebow won't get drafted by the Vikings I can safely say that, They have more concern's then QB. If he's around in the 2nd or 3rd round then it's a possibility but they won't blow a first round pick on a guy that hasn't really shown that he's a dropback and throw type Quarterback.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Bengals sign Antonio Bryant. I'm thinking this might be a sign and trade kind of thing to try to get Brandon Marshall, considering they had Owens in at the same time they were getting the contract done with Bryant. Maybe Owens will accept a #3 role. That would solve the passing game, but I also think its pretty clear the Bengals are going after Gilyard in the draft.

The "sign and trade" thing really doesn't make any sense in the NFL.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Bengals sign Antonio Bryant. I'm thinking this might be a sign and trade kind of thing to try to get Brandon Marshall, considering they had Owens in at the same time they were getting the contract done with Bryant. Maybe Owens will accept a #3 role. That would solve the passing game, but I also think its pretty clear the Bengals are going after Gilyard in the draft.

I was pretty bummed out about this. I really wanted T.O. here, and think he could be productive as a number 2. But nothing gets me more excited than bringing in Mardy Gilyard.

Ravens resign Mason

Glad to see Mason is back. This may be the best offense the Ravens have ever put together.

Flacco at QB

Rice, McClain, McGahee at RB

Boldin, Boldin, Mason, Clayton, Stallworth at WR

I really think that is a Super Bowl caliber offense. It will be really exciting to watch next season.

Now I think we just need to target a pass rusher and/or cornerback in the draft to strengthen the defense.

QB Derek Anderson was cut yesterday by the Browns, and promptly blasted the city of Cleveland on the way out the door....

"The fans are ruthless and don't deserve a winner. I will never forget getting cheered when I was injured. I know at times I wasn't great. I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town and [we] roll them."

6uXNWAo.png

QB Derek Anderson was cut yesterday by the Browns, and promptly blasted the city of Cleveland on the way out the door....

"The fans are ruthless and don't deserve a winner. I will never forget getting cheered when I was injured. I know at times I wasn't great. I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town and [we] roll them."

Seems like he knows what he's talking about.

Sounds about right. A large percentage of Browns fans (much larger than I'd like to admit) are complete idiots. Once upon a time we were pretty good fans. Then the team moved, the "new" Browns replaced the old Browns, and Browns fans got really stupid and annoying in the process. I often wonder if the fans were replaced right along with the team. It sure seems that way some most of the time.

Oh well, don't count me among the fans he was talking about. I always thought DA was a decent QB who kinda got screwed by bad coaching and an indecisive front office. That "decided by a coin toss" fiacso in Quinn's rookie year was a joke. Thanks to the fans, a trigger happy coaching staff, and a bunch of media bozos, Anderson could never get comfortable because every incomplete pass got the fans and the media calling for Quinn. How in the hell is a guy supposed to play QB in The NFL when he's constantly worried about getting yanked if he makes so much as one mistake? I'm not saying The Browns just released the next Tom Brady or anything but once Quinn arrived Anderson never had a chance.

Hell, I think Anderson went easy on the fans in those remarks. I also think the Browns released the wrong quarterback. Quinn sucks and he's always going to suck. Tim Couch was better.

BB52Big.jpg

Well Jake Delhomme is set to visit Cleveland tomorrow.

Who knows? Maybe a change of scenery will do him good. I'd doubt it but you never know. Word here is that The Browns are looking to trade for a QB. Maybe Delhomme is being brought in as the "experienced backup."

BB52Big.jpg

I don't understand how Jake Delhomme was ever considered a good quarterback. I can't believe that even one time, an opposing coach ever said "oh crap - we're playing the Panthers this week - we've got to game plan for Jake Delhomme!" Why a team would want him for anything other than the aforementioned "experienced backup" role is beyond me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The "sign and trade" thing really doesn't make any sense in the NFL.

Exactly. Brandon Marshall has a 1st round tender on him. Since he is a tendered RFA, any team can sign Marshall to a contract (offer sheet). In turn, the Broncos have just two options:

A) Resign Marshall for the SAME contract which the other team gave him and he signed

B) Let him go for a 1st round pick this year as compensation.

The same goes for any other tendered RFA in terms of picks due back to the right's holding team. When a team tenders a current RFA, that contract with their team is not guaranteed and is just an average salary based on that position.

Word on the street is that Pete Carroll and the Seahawks are all but willing to drive down to Philadelphia, go to the Novacare complex, get on their collective knees, and suck Andy Reid, Joe Banner, and Jeff Lurie to full completion if that's what it took to get either McNabb or Kolb.

Word on the street is that Pete Carroll and the Seahawks are all but willing to drive down to Philadelphia, go to the Novacare complex, get on their collective knees, and suck Andy Reid, Joe Banner, and Jeff Lurie to full completion if that's what it took to get either McNabb or Kolb.

From what I have heard is that McNabb is on the block for, "A #1 and pick(s)".

The Eagles are just dangling things out to see who will bite. The "picks" issue is the issue since Donovan is in the final year of his current deal and the Eagles do not extend deals to players who are over like 28. (See Trotter, Douglas, Dawkins)

The Eagles are just dangling things out to see who will bite. The "picks" issue is the issue since Donovan is in the final year of his current deal and the Eagles do not extend deals to players who are over like 28. (See Trotter, Douglas, Dawkins)

They won't extend McNabb because he sucks - not because he's old. Besides - QBs age differently than other players. They've wavered from their 30+ rule lately though - Dawkins did get an extension into his 30s, Runyan and Tra Thomas both got deals in their 30s, and... well, yeah. Actually, Douglass was offered an extension for similar money to what Jacksonville paid, but his agent screwed him over - he's said so repeatedly now that he's on the radio here. Turns out that even still, they were right in that case too, because he was shot by the time he left (and when he came back for the one last season.) They're right most of the time though. People bitched and complained when they let certain players go, but more often than not, they're right about it. Derrick Burgess and Dawkins are about the only cases I can think about when they were wrong.

They won't extend McNabb because he sucks - not because he's old. Besides - QBs age differently than other players. They've wavered from their 30+ rule lately though - Dawkins did get an extension into his 30s, Runyan and Tra Thomas both got deals in their 30s, and... well, yeah. Actually, Douglass was offered an extension for similar money to what Jacksonville paid, but his agent screwed him over - he's said so repeatedly now that he's on the radio here. Turns out that even still, they were right in that case too, because he was shot by the time he left (and when he came back for the one last season.) They're right most of the time though. People bitched and complained when they let certain players go, but more often than not, they're right about it. Derrick Burgess and Dawkins are about the only cases I can think about when they were wrong.

This is also his final contract year too since the team can void it all so why extend yourself with a possible lockout looming? In 2002, McNabb signed a $115 million, 12-year contract extension through the 2013 season. These last three years of that contract became voidable when he reached incentive clauses. Whomever gets him via trade should just let him go is they do not expect to win this yea, but if he is traded, he will want an extension. Heck, I would want another two years too, since we are dealing with the NFL.

my bears seem to be doing pretty well this offseason smile.gif wish we could get some WRs or d backs though

Overpaying for free agents doesn't make a good offseason. In fact, since free agency is the most inefficient allocation of resources in any league but the NBA, it's kind of a bad offseason. Also in fact, when you take into consideration the categorically disastrous January this organization had, when they proclaimed they would punish failure while maintaining continuity (all-time wtf) and ultimately had to settle for the ill-fitting Mike Martz as offensive coordinator because even quarterbacks coaches were turning down interviews with this team, the Bears have had a terrible offseason. Last week's spending spree was just a death rattle for an idiotic braintrust that knows its time is up. All we can hope is that things are bad enough to achieve the purge we should've had two months ago, and with Mike Martz trying to teach his doorstop playbook to wide receivers that can't tie their shoes without an IKEA-style sequential diagram, I think we're gonna have that. It's a good thing I don't really love the NFL like I love baseball and hockey, because this team would've made me cut my head open and throw my brain out a highrise window.

EDIT: oh and they're ultimately going to trade Greg Olsen for a sixth-round pick because he's almost as worthless to the rest of the league as he is to Martz. Quality offseason.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived