2009-10 NFL off season thread

Saintsfan

NFL live now says that the Bengals are seriously considering giving up their first round draft pick for Brandon Marshall. I would love love looooooooooooove love love it if they picked up Brandon Marshall.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wonder how many athletes would stay in college for the full four years to get their degree, rather than opt out early. (In case the NFL didn't work out for them)

They're not there to learn

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wonder how many athletes would stay in college for the full four years to get their degree, rather than opt out early. (In case the NFL didn't work out for them)

They're not there to learn

SOME of them aren't there to learn. They are there to get by until they can get their big pay day from the NFL. That would no longer be there right out of college.

.....and that is basically what I was trying to say. I wonder if that aspect of college athletes would have a noticeable change.

Sure it would still be there.

It may not be as big of a payday, but unless you're drinking willmorris' krazy kooky kool-aid amd suggest these players should only make 50K tops, it's still a humongous payday compared to what they'd get otherwise.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The Lions are reportedly trading for CB Chris Houston of the Falcons. I have heard a 4th rounder and swapping fifths, or a sixth and swapping fifths. The Lions CBs were horrible last year, so he has to be somewhat of an improvement, but what are the thoughts of some of you Falcons fans? I am not really sure what to think of it, but again, it is nice to see the Lions front office actually working at this time of year.

I don't know a whole lot about Houston, but really, that (what I bolded) is the important thing. They front office addressed what the team lacks so far this offseason. The Lions still have a long way to go, but on paper, it looks like an improved team. The #2 pick should fill a void, assuming it's Suh or McCoy. Even if it's Okung or Berry, I'll be happy.

Edit: The Lions also re-signed Will Heller today for 3 years. For some reason, I really like this. Maybe it's just because he caught the pass against Cleveland, but I like Heller as a backup TE. With his size (6'6", 275), he should be valuable as a blocker.

The top players at the top schools generate so much more money for those schools than their degree is worth, and (unless they cheat, which most probably do) they get nothing for it. Some of those top players will go on to generate a ton of revenue for the team that drafts them (before even playing) and now we don't want to pay them for that either. A lot of coaches, a lot of athletic departments, and a lot of owners are getting rich(er) off these guys, they certainly deserve some coin. Not saying that the current system is good - because it ain't, but I'm not sure I'm down with the PA imposing a cap on rookie salaries, especially one so low that it makes players re-think coming out of school early.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The top players at the top schools generate so much more money for those schools than their degree is worth, and (unless they cheat, which most probably do) they get nothing for it. Some of those top players will go on to generate a ton of revenue for the team that drafts them (before even playing) and now we don't want to pay them for that either.

I agree 100% with this.

I'll also say, that I went to high school with a current NBA player. He shouldn't have graduated high school. I doubt he would have been able to pass a college class. The majority of the athletes at big schools aren't there to learn and I don't imagine they are legitmately passing their classes. I'm sure there are exception, but the majority of student athletes are a sham.

I went to high school with a current NBA player. He shouldn't have graduated high school. I doubt he would have been able to pass a college class. The majority of the athletes at big schools aren't there to learn and I don't imagine they are legitmately passing their classes. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the majority of student athletes are a sham.

"No duh" on all counts, and even when the rare college athlete is capable of spelling his own name and reading his textbooks right-side-up, his course selection often has such significant "external input" that it's not like he's really behind his own wheel anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

the rare college athlete is capable of spelling his own name and reading his textbooks right-side-up,

That's an absurd thing to say. It's more rare for them to be the dunce that you're making them out to be than not.

Source: LaDainian Tomlinson is visiting Minnesota on Thursday.

This would be a huge signing for the Vikes they replace a pretty good 3rd Down back with maybe an even better one in Tomlinson. LT would also be a great teacher for All Day and maybe could cure the fumblitis.

I disagree. Replacing a 31 y.o. Chester Taylor with a 30 y.o. LT is a downgrade for what they need. Chester has less miles on his odometer.

This would be a huge signing for the Vikes they replace a pretty good 3rd Down back with maybe an even better one in Tomlinson. LT would also be a great teacher for All Day and maybe could cure the fumblitis.

I disagree. Replacing a 31 y.o. Chester Taylor with a 30 y.o. LT is a downgrade for what they need. Chester has less miles on his odometer.

True but LT won't be relied on like he was in San Diego and yeah Chester was great but an LT that doesn't have to work almost every down equals maybe a rebirth in his skills.

But this will be all for not if he doesn't end up signing.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

True but LT won't be relied on like he was in San Diego and yeah Chester was great but an LT that doesn't have to work almost every down equals maybe a rebirth in his skills.

But this will be all for not if he doesn't end up signing.

With that offense, the 3rd Down is Percy Harvin, period. He will be used more as long as he can recover from bulging discs and his migraine issues.

This would be a great move for the Vikings, Adrian Peterson could carry the burden but LT could be relied on to make the big play, ie carry the ball when a first down is needed and you dont trust Peterson not to put ball on the ground.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This would be a great move for the Vikings, Adrian Peterson could carry the burden but LT could be relied on to make the big play, ie carry the ball when a first down is needed and you dont trust Peterson not to put ball on the ground.

I still disagree. Over the last four seasons, his yards/attempt has been this:

2006: 5.2 (2323 yards from scrimmage with 1815 rushing in 16 games)

2007: 4.7 (1949 yards from scrimmage with 1474 rushing in 16 games)

2008: 3.8 (1536 yards from scrimmage with 1110 rushing in 16 games)

2009: 3.3 (884 yards from scrimmage with 740 rushing in 14 games)

He is done as a back. "Edgerrin James with more endzone carries".

I still disagree. Over the last four seasons, his yards/attempt has been this:

2006: 5.2 (2323 yards from scrimmage with 1815 rushing in 16 games)

2007: 4.7 (1949 yards from scrimmage with 1474 rushing in 16 games)

2008: 3.8 (1536 yards from scrimmage with 1110 rushing in 16 games)

2009: 3.3 (884 yards from scrimmage with 740 rushing in 14 games)

He is done as a back. "Edgerrin James with more endzone carries".

730 yards and 12 rushing touchdowns is far from being "done". Think of a Wildcat with Percy, Peterson, and LDT. Then give them Tebow and Farve comes for another year. Not to mention they would have Sidney Rice and Bernard Berrian on the outsides. At that point do you think Tomlinson could be serviceable? I think so. Its not as much as what he has left in the tank... its what is around him. Oh yeah... Steve Hutchinson, Bryant McKinnie and Phil Loadholt are blocking. Did i mention that?

Minnesota isn't the team for LT. I think he'd have a better chance at a ring if he signed as a mid-season injury replacement on a contending team.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived