Chicago hits rock bottom...

Mingjai

I know this is a day old, but it's still shocking news to anyone who follows soccer in the United States. Is anyone else surprised that Chicago was not selected as one of 18 cities to host World Cup matches in the US's WC 2018/22 bid? No offense to any of these cities, but I'm surprised that Indianapolis and Nashville were selected ahead of Chicago, while DC and Baltimore both made the cut. Don't they think that FIFA would want to see games in Chicago? I'm sure soccer fans from overseas would prefer to go to Chicago instead of, say, Indianapolis.

What's even more crazy is that the US Soccer Fed is based at 1801 S. Prairie Ave., Chicago, IL 60616. They shafted their own city!

I was wondering if any here has heard any reasons as to the shaft. Thoughts?

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I'm surprised recent snowfall didn't cause the sod to fall into a gaping sinkhole. Maybe it did and nobody noticed. Not like Bears need the place this month.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Some people are blaming Mayor Daley for not having interest since his Olympic Bid failed. But in realty, people are not looking towards 2018 or 2022 to begin with. If as a Federation, you fail to have two cities with some of the most international arrivals (SF/Bay Area and Chicago), then are you really trying to win a bid? Something will be completed in the Bay Area by 2018 (the Santa Clara vote will go on in June), yet they still think that Qualcomm will still be a viable, modern venue....nice!

England will get 2018 anyway, so USSF is basically shooting for 2022.

Probably has more to do with the fact that Soldier Field is a slapdash pile of crap.

I've only been inside Soldier Field twice, and both times were for FIre games, so perhaps things have changed in the intervening years. But once I was inside the post-spaceship-crash Soldier Field, I got precisely zero sense of history, or style for that matter. It was a Generic Modern Stadium whose main aesthetics are bare concrete and blue seats. In other words, it's New Comiskey circa 1991, except this time around no one's excited about not having to stand around other men in a circle to pee anymore.

Driving past it just makes me kinda sad and disappointed. You come off of the Stevenson onto the northbound Drive, and there's all this stunning architecture of one of the world's great skylines to greet you. Hell, even the new Trump building looks classy and dignified, and fits in with its neighbors. And then, off to your right, there's... that, which looks like something Frank Gehry crapped out after an all-night bender at a tequila bar.

So, yeah, there's the venue, and I think the Olympic bidding process exposed a lot of big flaws in this city that everyone in charge is loathe to admit or even acknowledge. If your nation's governing body of soccer says, "Yeah, no thanks, we feel like Indianapolis is a better national representative for the largest sporting showcase on the face of the Earth," you better damn well realize your city's got some issues. I mean, have you seen Indianapolis? It's a hole. No, literally, it's a giant hole. Get out a highway map and see how I-465 forms the edge of the Pit of Despair. Once you see the signs welcoming you onto the Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds Highway, you're already too far gone.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Some people are blaming Mayor Daley for not having interest since his Olympic Bid failed. But in realty, people are not looking towards 2018 or 2022 to begin with. If as a Federation, you fail to have two cities with some of the most international arrivals (SF/Bay Area and Chicago), then are you really trying to win a bid? Something will be completed in the Bay Area by 2018 (the Santa Clara vote will go on in June), yet they still think that Qualcomm will still be a viable, modern venue....nice!

The problem with the Santa Clara stadium is it hasn't been approved yet and therefore, the US couldn't include it in its proposal, although I think that they can edit the proposal for the 2022 deadline once/if the stadium is approved. As it stands, Chicago's only viable stadium--Soldier Field--seats 5,500 less people than the lowest-capacity stadium in the bid (Lucas Oil Stadium at 66,000) and it seems to be sub-par venue, overall. As for the Bay Area, none of their stadiums with a high enough capacity could even be considered decent, let alone up to the standards of the world cup. However, I can agree with you about Qualcomm Stadium being at least as bad of a venue as the Oakland Coliseum. The same goes for the Cotton Bowl.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

The problem with the Santa Clara stadium is it hasn't been approved yet and therefore, the US couldn't include it in its proposal, although I think that they can edit the proposal for the 2022 deadline once/if the stadium is approved. As it stands, Chicago's only viable stadium--Soldier Field--seats 5,500 less people than the lowest-capacity stadium in the bid (Lucas Oil Stadium at 66,000) and it seems to be sub-par venue, overall. As for the Bay Area, none of their stadiums with a high enough capacity could even be considered decent, let alone up to the standards of the world cup. However, I can agree with you about Qualcomm Stadium being at least as bad of a venue as the Oakland Coliseum. The same goes for the Cotton Bowl.

I understand that since ground has not been broken, then you cannot award, but this is eight to 12 years down the road. Most Olympic main stadiums are not started until the bid is awarded.

It has more to do with the US bid wanting largest stadiums as possible. Stanford Stadium seats 55K for NCAA events, much more than the FIFA minimum. Take away 5k for FIFA reasons and is still larger than six of the German venues and ten used for Korea/Japan.

No offense to any of these cities, but I'm surprised that Indianapolis and Nashville were selected ahead of Chicago, while DC and Baltimore both made the cut.

Oh no...I don't want any part of an international competition in the city I live. I want to visit somewhere that has it.

Yes I'm selfish. Let someone else deal with the problems!

Probably has more to do with the fact that Soldier Field is a slapdash pile of crap.

I've only been inside Soldier Field twice, and both times were for FIre games, so perhaps things have changed in the intervening years. But once I was inside the post-spaceship-crash Soldier Field, I got precisely zero sense of history, or style for that matter. It was a Generic Modern Stadium whose main aesthetics are bare concrete and blue seats. In other words, it's New Comiskey circa 1991, except this time around no one's excited about not having to stand around other men in a circle to pee anymore.

The Bears deserve what the Redskins have, a 90,000-seat palace that they own free and clear from which they can maximize revenues, but the McCaskeys are poor relative to other big-market NFL owners, and thus have to settle for what the Park District gives them, and the Park District didn't give them a hell of a lot. Apparently there are some really good sightlines if you sit in the right seats, and the first row is only 60some feet from the sideline, but none of that assuages the glaring architectural (it's ugly), structural (the field's a swamp), and logistical (it's still a bitch to park) deficiencies of the place. The real irony is that Soldier Field has its carelessly assembled sod (someone important must have A Guy! in the sod business) and not FieldTurf precisely so that they can host FIFA matches, and yet it's still not good enough for the World Cup. And you certainly can't host the World Cup in Bridgeview. Nobody bother suggesting that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I was really surprised Chicago wasn't picked as a host city. Especially over San Diego? and aren't Baltimore/Washington,DC like next to each other.

May be Chicago wasn't chosen becuase of the Olympic bid fiasco, who knows. USA will get the World Cup in 2018.

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

The Bears deserve what the Redskins have, a 90,000-seat palace that they own free and clear from which they can maximize revenues, but the McCaskeys are poor relative to other big-market NFL owners, and thus have to settle for what the Park District gives them, and the Park District didn't give them a hell of a lot. Apparently there are some really good sightlines if you sit in the right seats, and the first row is only 60some feet from the sideline, but none of that assuages the glaring architectural (it's ugly), structural (the field's a swamp), and logistical (it's still a bitch to park) deficiencies of the place. The real irony is that Soldier Field has its carelessly assembled sod (someone important must have A Guy! in the sod business) and not FieldTurf precisely so that they can host FIFA matches, and yet it's still not good enough for the World Cup. And you certainly can't host the World Cup in Bridgeview. Nobody bother suggesting that.

The McCaskeys only business is the team, so they are just stingy. I remember being told that their season ticket waiting list went from over 25,000 to around 8,000 before the new Soldier Field because a fire destroyed their list.

The CPD needs to work better with land grant schools to have better turf. Heck, they are a park district for goodness sake! The ugliness did cost them the National Historic Landmark designation which they so wanted to keep, hence the spaceship in the columns.

And you certainly can't host the World Cup in Bridgeview. Nobody bother suggesting that.

What, 20,000 seats and a free-for-all gravel parking lot aren't doing it for you? Did I mention its convenient proximity to Summit?

Beautiful field, though.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I was really surprised Chicago wasn't picked as a host city. Especially over San Diego? and aren't Baltimore/Washington,DC like next to each other.

May be Chicago wasn't chosen becuase of the Olympic bid fiasco, who knows. USA will get the World Cup in 2018.

With Brazil as hosts in 2014, I personally doubt that the US will host the 2018 world cup, I am thinking that 2022 they may have a chance though.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The McCaskeys only business is the team, so they are just stingy. I remember being told that their season ticket waiting list went from over 25,000 to around 8,000 before the new Soldier Field because a fire destroyed their list.

As much as I love an opportunity to mock the Bears... no.

I don't get the hatred for Soldier Field. Yeah, it looks stupid from the outside, but it's a very comfortable and modern venue with great sight-lines. It's certainly better than the pre-renovation version and has tons more amenities.

And the sod couldn't have been an issue. By 2018 or 2022, the grass will have been replaced with artificial turf. Like Seattle and other facilities on the list, temporary grass would be installed for WC games.

Archived