XXI Olympic Winter Games

WJMorris3

Here's a thought to make Canadians lose some sleep for the rest of the week: Does this game provide a blueprint for Germany et al to beat them now that it's single-elimination? A blueprint like, I don't know, crash the net like it's going out of style, keep a body or two in front of Brodeur and hope he still can't save what he can't see?

If by blueprint you mean hope to hell Brodeur mishandles the puck as many times as he did tonight, then yes other teams may have a hope in hell. In reality Germany is in real real tough. Canada outshot the USA almost 2 to 1, and only lost because Miller was outstanding. If the Germans can put out a goalie close to the calibre of Miller, they may have a chance. If not...I would bet my entire life (and the lives of my closest friends) on Canada advancing.

Oh boy, if that isn't a perfect example of a jinx, I don't know what is. :P

Hi, how are you?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USA/Canada...oh man if USA pulls it out...

Miracle Part 2?

Uh, no. The lack of respect being given to this American team is so typical.

That was a bit tongue in cheek, but youre right, it is a lack of respect for the American team combined with the complete overhyping of the Canadian team.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

As a minor aside, this win by team USA also means that either Russia or Canada won't medal.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Today's hit heard 'round the world...

BOOM!

Im surprised Jagrs massive ass didnt put a dent in the ice with the force it hit.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

If the US gets the #1 seed, they'll play the winner of the Swiss-Belarus game.

If the US gets the #2 seed, they'll play the winner of the Slovakia-Norway game. Plus, they'll be on the same half of the bracket as Russia and Canada.

Go Sweden! Or come on, overtime!

I'm assuming a Sweden win or OT makes option #1 happen?

I'm assuming a Sweden win or OT makes option #1 happen?

If the game reaches OT, the best Sweden or Finland can do is finish with 8 points, 1 behind the US. The US finished with a goal differential of +9.

Finland also has a +9 in GD. If they win in regulation, Finland gets the #1 seed, as they'll "finnish" with at least +10, and the US will be #2.

Sweden's GD is +4. Sweden would have to beat Finland by 6 goals to overtake the US on GD. Or, Sweden can win by 5 goals, but Finland would have to score 4 goals in the loss, for Sweden to overtake the US on goals for, the 4th tie-breaker.

The fifth tie-breaker is IIHF rankings, which Sweden leads in.

The loss for this game falls straight onto Brodeur's shoulders. Why he got rewarded for a poor performance against the Swiss is beyond me.

Agreed. I have no idea why he thought the Olympics was a good time to get experimental with his puck handling.

Just to clear things up, here are the seedings:

1. TBD

2. TBD

3. Russia

4. TBD

5. TBD

6. Canada

7. Slovakia

8. Switzerland

9. Belarus

10. Norway

11. Germany

12. Latvia

The US and Finland are the likely candidates for #1. If Finland wins in regulation, they'll be #1. Assuming Sweden doesn't blowout Finland and pass the US, the US likely has #1.

If Sweden wins a close game in regulation, they'll be #2, the US will be #1, and Finland will be #4.

If the SWE-FIN game goes to overtime, the winner will be the #2 seed. The OT loser gets the #4 seed.

If Sweden loses in regulation, the Czechs move up to the #4 seed, and Sweden falls to #5.

I think that's right...

And with the loss, Canada either gets Russia or Finland (if they lose in OT) assuming they beat the Germans, correct?

Correct I wouldn't want either Finland or Russia.

And speaking of Finland/Sweden. Hopefully Finland can score 5 Goals and knock the States down to 2nd.

SUOMI!!!!!

Finland/Sweden is a toss up they will be lucky to even get a win.

Goaltending goes a long way.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The loss for this game falls straight onto Brodeur's shoulders. Why he got rewarded for a poor performance against the Swiss is beyond me.

Agreed. I have no idea why he thought the Olympics was a good time to get experimental with his puck handling.

Because the NHL handcuffed him from handling the puck when they made those rule changes following the lockout....

Writer on ESPN posted this.

No, Canada

Bow down to Uncle Sam

We'll take the gold

You laid down like a lamb

With frying pans you tended goal

We scored on you at will

From far and wide, Oh Canada

We're scoring on you still.

God keep your nets

Wide open and emp-ty

O Canada

We scored five goals on thee

O Canada

U.S. with gold you'll see!

My friend you still have a long way to go.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Is it just me, or does it appear that these hockey games are being played on an NHL sized rink instead of the larger international rink? :blink:

They're playing at the normal home of the Canucks.

You just now realized they're playing on an NHL-sized rink?

Correct, it is a North American size ice surface. That decision was made in 2006. It saved the VANOC $10 million in not renovating GM place, but also allows for up to 35,000 more spectators to see games during the tournament.

Archived