XXI Olympic Winter Games

WJMorris3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems they're just reenforcing the notion that Canada can be summed up by mounties, hockey, maple leaves, beavers, moose, and lumberjacks. lol.

every time I see the mounties I think of this guy haha

Why is the horse wearing the uniform?

Why is this mouse wearing pants and shoes?

Why is this duck not wearing pants?

American cartoons are just crazy...

So we went from Dudley Do-Right to Spongebob.

I'm scared.

Thats how cartoons have evolved over the decades...just image what kids in the 2020's will be watching

Frightening thought

I think we should put the next Winter Olympics in the USA 2022 in Boise.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Seems they're just reenforcing the notion that Canada can be summed up by mounties, hockey, maple leaves, beavers, moose, and lumberjacks. lol.

every time I see the mounties I think of this guy haha

Why is the horse wearing the uniform?

Why is this mouse wearing pants and shoes?

Why is this duck not wearing pants?

American cartoons are just crazy...

So we went from Dudley Do-Right to Spongebob.

I'm scared.

Thats how cartoons have evolved over the decades...just image what kids in the 2020's will be watching

Frightening thought

I think we should put the next Winter Olympics in the USA 2022 in Boise.

No wonder anime is so popular.

How about Denver in 2022?

and 14 golds beats pretty much anything else.

This. Hats off to the USA for dominating the overall medal count, really, it is something to be proud of.

We have the most gold though, and considering our huge disadvantage in terms of population numbers I think we can claim victory. That and the fact that our 14 gold medals means we now hold the record for the most first place finishes then any other country in a single Winter Games. Quite an accomplishment for little old 34,000,000 Canada.

I've never gotten this argument. It's not as dumb as the "Your team won the Cup because they have mostly Canadians on the team." argument, but it's close. Do Canadians use this excuse for every international competition when they come up short?

The US and Canada both spend a lot more money on national athletics than just about every nation. Both nations send approximately the same amount of athletes to the Winter Games. And considering how much of the US population lives and/or participates in Winter Games-ish activities, the population ratio gets a lot closer to that 10:1 ratio Canadians tend to point out.

While it may be a fact, it's a grossly exaggerated excuse, at best. If you're going to flaunt that around, then explain why little old Norway has earned more overall Winter Games medals than Canada.

I bet all the Canadians are saying "Eh" and "Aboot" at the closing ceremonies. :D

Head of VANOC John Furlong said "Eh" in his closing speech.

I may have missed it, but NBC also came back from commercial and Furlong was already into his speech. NBC had way too many damn commercials during the Closing Ceremonies. Was it really that important to keep showing these overplayed Coke and McDonald's commercials one final time?

Only Hedley could make this the worst use of Musical talent at a closing ceremonies. They owe us Rush.

I did no such thing!

But Rush sucks....

I'd say denver would be great, Boise wouldn't be too exciting...I always thought seattle would be cool, but not sure about the facilities?

but anywhere in the U.S. would be cool...as long as Pittsburgh never hosts the Winter or Summer Olympics I am happy haha even though right now that city has the most Canadian hockey fans right now

I may have missed it, but NBC also came back from commercial and Furlong was already into his speech. NBC had way too many damn commercials during the Closing Ceremonies. Was it really that important to keep showing these overplayed Coke and McDonald's commercials one final time?

On a related note, did Vancouver actually end up releasing a Kraken?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On a related note, did Vancouver actually end up releasing a Kraken?

Let's not bring Davy Jones to the Olympics.

I'd say denver would be great, Boise wouldn't be too exciting...I always thought seattle would be cool, but not sure about the facilities?

Denver was originally going to host the 1976 Winter Olympics but backed out over the predictable Olympic cost overruns. The IOC will never give them another shot.

Boise lacks the tax base and population to pull it off.

Seattle has the financial resources, but also a large number of anti-globalization/anti-big time capitalism activists.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

While it may be a fact, it's a grossly exaggerated excuse, at best. If you're going to flaunt that around, then explain why little old Norway has earned more overall Winter Games medals than Canada.

Because you can't stop a Viking!

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

EXACTLY !!!

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Unless it's a cointoss for overtime in NFL football. :D

Denver was originally going to host the 1976 Winter Olympics but backed out over the predictable Olympic cost overruns. The IOC will never give them another shot.

Seattle has the financial resources, but also a large number of anti-globalization/anti-big time capitalism activists.

The thing I always wondered was how did Lake Placid get to host the olympics?

Well, so does Vancouver... as does every major city.

The New Orleans Saints would disagree...

I saw, I came, I left.

The thing I always wondered was how did Lake Placid get to host the olympics?

1. The Winter Olympics were far more small-time then than they are now, and they are still comparatively small potatoes to the Summer Games

2. Lake Placid is a huge winter resort town and has had much of the facilities already in place for use.

3. At least in the case of the 1980 Games, nobody else wanted them.

Today, we are all otaku.

Well, so does Vancouver... as does every major city.

Were they able to scuttle a WTO Conference in any of those other cities?

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived