Utah Jazz...a refresh [version 2 up]

Conrad.

Similar to my previous 76ers concept, I wanted to try to bring the retro Jazz logo into

the 21st century using the spurred typeface, more curvilinear lines, and the "supposed"

color scheme (Thanks, Donovan). Further, I made the secondary logo by tweaking the

late-90s secondary a bit.

JazzRefresh_logosheet_th.jpg

.......................................^ Click above for Full-Size View ^.......................................

A couple questions: Is it too simple, and if so, which parts should have more detail?

Also, is the secondary logo giving off a "kosher" vibe (b/c I also made one with 5 points)?

I think I am going to try to do one with a dark green & a lighter blue to see how that

looks and of course, I'll be adding some uniforms soon to go along with the logoset.

Is it too simple? No. Does it bring to mind the star of David? No, unless you are determined to see anything with 6 points as religious. Don't worry about it.

The thing is that you've got the note theme going on with the... well, note. Then you've got the western theme going on with the points on the font. While those two are sort of integrated, the snow flake thing is just kind of out there. It's really not necessary, and detracts from the identity, kind of like the Rays' fish patch. The primary symbol of Jazz is the note. The primary symbol of Utah (in this context) is the mountains. No room for snowflakes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

you know we keep seeing Utah Jazz concepts.

but wouldnt it be great if someone did a concept that removed the name Jazz? I hate the identity of the "Utah Jazz". It is the worst nickname in sports. Some teams with retarded nicknames can get away with it, like the Lakers.

and some teams have nicknames that don't have any local color, ex: Hawks, Raptors, Bengals

but to be in UTAH and to be called THE JAZZ is silly. It just sticks out...and seeing their latest attempts to combine a snow cap theme and jazz theme was hilarious...and kind of sad

Good concept. Nice colors. But I kind of want to see someone change the name...which is exactly what I'll be doing in my NBA redo

Definetly a great update to the classic logo...nice job mixing the eras. I like this because it gives you the possibility of using the great Jazz wordmark from the 90's.

I think a great secondary to replace the snowflake, even tho I love it - I don't see it fitting with the identity, would be a UJ logo. Maybe the letter U in the same style as the J?

And I think the ball should reflect today's version, not the classic one.

Great work as always C

I like it, it is crisp,clean and simple. However, the snowflake/ball logo with the colors is just too 90's to me. perhaps simplifying that logo to fit the script and primary will overall boost the set. Excellent job though and hope the Jazz will follow along that line.

v3ins0.jpg

I like it, it is crisp,clean and simple. However, the snowflake/ball logo with the colors is just too 90's to me. perhaps simplifying that logo to fit the script and primary will overall boost the set. Excellent job though and hope the Jazz will follow along that line.

Honestly dude, What's up with the name...

Honestly dude, What's up with the name...

looks normal to me, what are you complai......WHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! :shocked::shocked:

I mean, yeah it works... but i still think any "Jazz" team name should have New Orleans infront of it. But that is just my personal taste.

I wouldn't mind seeing Utah with a new nickname. I would really like to see a total revamp, rebrand, and new identity to the Utah basketball team.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

In all honesty, Utah will most likely not be changing its name and will keep the JAZZ name for as long as they exist. The name isn't perfect, but neither are a couple other NBA teams. Utah Jazz does have a certain ring to it IMO.

I'm assuming what Conrad is trying to do is present a possible solution to what the Jazz will be sporting next season, and I think that is how we should be judging his concept. Of course, I could be totally wrong, in which case a rename would be his choice.

I'm assuming what Conrad is trying to do is present a possible solution to what the Jazz will be sporting next season, and I think that is how we should be judging his concept.

correct, sir.

i think a name change wouldn't be a terrible idea, but I'm just trying to be realistic with the concept. I might try my hand at a different secondary logo in addition to trying to put together some unis to along with this. as always, thanks for taking a look.

Before making some unis, I'll post this update. Changed the ball to the current style

and made a 'UJ' secondary akin to the previous versions, but also visually tied into the

new primary logo I have made. Thoughts on this update?

JazzRefresh_logosheet2_th.jpg

.......................................^ Click above for Full-Size View ^.......................................

Also, for a change of pace, I did a version by switching the hues of the 2 main colors by

making the green darker and the blue lighter. Is this better than the scheme before?

JazzRefresh_logosheet3_th.jpg

hmmm so one thing i think you should fix that REALLY bothers me:

on the UJ logo, the left side of the U and the J are thinner making that side look farther away, but the shadow coming off of it is thcker on that side, which bugs me. I think the thicker outline should be on the right side to make the right side more visually appealingi hope you understand what i mean.

i apologize for taking and editing your work but i was just trying to get a point across. so heres a sketchy example:Untitled.png

lrg_6444e0b331f54e979d389637de158186.jpg

ok... i was thinking about a UTAH logo maybe their 3rd logo option... it would be the shape of a U in one color, and coming down the right side, the J would be another color. You could even add the music note hat.

Anyone care to do the concept for me?

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

In my opinion the logo needs to be sheered/italicized enough that the Z's are no longer awkward. By that I mean, the A should angle back enough that it forces the top bar of the first Z to be shorter or even than the bottom bar. The first Z would in turn do this to the second. Does that make sense?

Otherwise it's pretty sharp.

Lately there has been a lot of Jazz concept going around, but this one is my favorite so far, and I'm talking about your first post. UJ secondary logo doesn't work because then I would expect everything else to be done in those letterforms, and UJ are just letters, while snowflake or whatever else you put as secondary are telling you something about team, or city. Unless Jazz are baseball team, I would stay away from initials.

ok... i was thinking about a UTAH logo maybe their 3rd logo option... it would be the shape of a U in one color, and coming down the right side, the J would be another color. You could even add the music note hat.

If that's what you want to see, then you should figure out how to do it yourself. Nobody is here to do concepts for you.

If that's what you want to see, then you should figure out how to do it yourself. Nobody is here to do concepts for you.

It wasn't a request for someone one to do it for me, it was more of a suggestion for someone to do it...

It wasn't a request for someone one to do it for me, it was more of a suggestion for someone to do it...

So this isn't a request for someone to do it for you? 'Anyone care to do the concept for me?'

30vja50.png

GIANTS_REDSOX_CELTICS_LIGHTNING_BULLS

Archived