The nhl concept time-machine...

Frylock

I was surfing through NHL Uniforms.com the other day, and saw the jerseys of the Cleveland Barons.  (They can also be seen in the banner ads for DetroitHockey.Net Fantasy Hockey on this forum  :))  And I was reminded of how cool their jerseys were -- specifically the numbers in the Ohio-shaped patch on the sleeves.  Actually, I thought their crest was too bulky.  If they dropped the "C" around the state crest, it would've been perfect, IMO.  So, I go to thinking (which is always dangerous) how would their jerseys look today if they were still around?

And with that little thought, I put together a trio of concepts -- a home, road, and alt.  I tweaked the logo a bit, by adding silver to it, and I resurrected the old Baron from the AHL days.  In fact, the alt jersey is a nod to the Barons jerseys of the 1950s, which will explain the old-time hockey feel to it.

(Links removed, original images deleted.  See below.)

Thanks to Roger Clemente for the template and resources, HockeyDB.com for the Barons logos, TheSLE.com for the NHL logo, and logo.nino.ru for the CCM and KOHO logos.

One more thing...  I'd like to encourage other jersey concept makers to try their hand at "retro" teams and post them in this thread if they'd like.  I just wanted to get the ball rolling...

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Those are very, very cool jerseys.  The third looks kind of like the "Turn Back The Clock" jerseys the CFL's Calgary Stampeders wore for a game against Montreal last year.

Again, I think that was really creative and all three look very good.

Rob

They're all nice jerseys, although I'd prefer the main dark jersey to be red instead of black.  I got to see the Barons once (oddly enough the same season I also got to see the Colorado Rockies) and the color red they used was really cool. It wasn't quite maroon but not quite scarlet.  It was almost like a cardinal red.   I also liked the "C" around the crest.  I don't think it's too bulky.  The Ohio patches on the sleeves were only used for one season but they too were very cool.  The retro jersey you did is nice, too.

They're all nice jerseys, although I'd prefer the main dark jersey to be red instead of black.  I got to see the Barons once (oddly enough the same season I also got to see the Colorado Rockies) and the color red they used was really cool. It wasn't quite maroon but not quite scarlet.  It was almost like a cardinal red.   I also liked the "C" around the crest.  I don't think it's too bulky.  The Ohio patches on the sleeves were only used for one season but they too were very cool.  The retro jersey you did is nice, too.

I've been wondering about the shade of Red the Barons used.  My guess is 201 C - the same shade of Red currently being used by the Denver Nuggets.

(And soon to be used by a certain basketball-playing team located in Cleveland)

You saw them - am I close?

Keeping in mind it's been 26 years, I would have to say that you're pretty close if not right on Pantone.  That dark red makes a great base color for a hockey sweater.  I'd like to see it come back.

They're very good but I was never much of a fan of the state of Ohio arm number patch.  I find it to be a bit gaudy, even if it is what they used to have.  I think they should use the Ohio-B logo on the shoulders.  Or have Mr. Baron poking through the B. (I'm not even going to tell you what I think Mr. Baron looks like.)  Then put the old CB logo on the front.

Did I spark a wave-striping fad?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Did someone say wave stripes?  Since we're getting wavy.... BRING BACK THE FISHERMAN!   :laugh:

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Did someone say wave stripes?  Since we're getting wavy.... BRING BACK THE FISHERMAN!   :laugh:

You're a sick, sick man. ;)

The lighthouse, yes.  The waves and the fisherman?  For the love of all things good and right with the world, no.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Hey...  Thanks for the feedback!  I appreciate all of your comments. Great ideas and opinions coming out here...

YzerFan -- Do you mean the Sabres jersey with the goofy sleeve and waist stripes, or the third jersey?  LMK, and I'll try to put together what you're visualising.

Rob Roberts -- I'm not familiar with the Stamps TBTC jerseys.  Would like to see them, though.  I was actually inspired by the AHL Barons jerseys of the '50s.  They can be seen at Drop the Pucks.

yhollander -- I agree with you about the road/dark jersey being red instead of black (and I really should do a red version) but I went with black so I could make the alt jersey red.  Of course, now that I think about it, since the style is different, I could probably get away with identical colors.  Okay...  Next update will include a red version of this style!  :)

PANTONE -- As awlays, thanks for your help and generosity!  :;):

Roger Clemente -- I like the idea about the Ohio/B patch logo on the shoulders.  IMO, I would hesitate to use that with the C/B crest, simply because the same logo would be used three times.  Of course, the same could be said about the Ohio/B crest and the Ohio/#'s on the sleeves.  And yes, I think we know what you mean about Mr. Baron...  :P

Did you start a wave trend?  Well, if you did, I'd like to nominate my Cleveland Crusaders WHA concept (Cleveland again???) which was posted back on December 19, 2002.  :cool:

As for the fisherman Islanders jerseys, I hate to say it, but I'm beginning to think the waves weren't a bad idea -- just badly executed.  That lighthouse logo was one of the best things the Islanders ever had, but I think people will always connect it to the fisherman jerseys.

Anyhow, I re-did my Barons concepts with the color that yhollander and PANTONE were discussing.  I hope this is a little closer to what they really used.

Cleveland Barons (NHL) 2003 Home Jersey -- re-color

Cleveland Barons (NHL) 2003 Road Jersey -- re-color

Cleveland Barons (NHL) 2003 Alternate Jersey -- re-color

Okay...  Finally got the time to put together some requested modifications here...

YzerFan -- Click here for the red Sabres style you were talking about.  I removed the "horn" stripes on the upper sleeves, since that's more Sabres-related IMO.

yhollander -- Click here for the red version of the original Barons concepts I posted.

Roger Clemente -- Click here for the modified home jersey concept using your suggestion of putting the Ohio/B logo on the shoulders and bringing back the C/B crest.

Hope y'all like them!  :)

Roger Clemente -- Thans for the Kudos on the Barons jersey!  I'm kind of warming up to it, even with the original Cleveland logo.  :)

And I'm glad you like the Winter Hawks sig image!  The jersey is obviously courtesy of your NHL jersey template.  Overall, the jersey is based on last year's style with the big numbers.  The letters are a little off, but they have a custom font that's a real pain in the butt to replicate.  :D  Workin' on it, though...

yhollander -- Thanks!  Yes, I was very disappointed that the Blue Jackets didn't go with Barons, too...

YzerFan -- Thanks!  I'll try one with black shoulders, and we'll see how that goes...

• 2 weeks later...

The red version of your concept looks pretty sweet.  My idea that you drew up doesn't look as good as I imagined it.  Maybe it needs the black shoulders like Buffalo's white jersey has, I don't know.  Good job putting it together though.

Well, it took me a couple weeks, but I finally got around to making this one with black shoulders.  I think it looks pretty good...

Temporarily shifting focus to a different team, I'm going way back for this one.  With current world events unfolding, I thought why not do a somewhat modern day version of a New York Americans jersey?  No, I didn't go all out crazy with stripes -- rather, I toned things down a bit.

New York Americans (NHL) 2003 Home Jersey

Template and numbers courtesy Roger Clemente, letters courtesy Frylock, logo courtesy YzerFan19 via Logo Server.

Archived