Logo Design Tutorials: Animals

Davidson

what happened to the images posted in davidsons post?

sorry, my website has been under attack since incited the wrath of one of the big three monotheisms. Normall service will trainer shortly.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry, my website has been under attack since incited the wrath of one of the big three monotheisms. Normall service will trainer shortly.

Man, is that due to the animation you did for Tim Minchin? A friend sent me a link to it last week and spotted your name at the end, quality tune and your animation was awesome! If that's why your site has been under attack I think people seriously need to get their priorities and lives in perspective... which is kinda what Tim was pointing out with the song I guess.

Hope you get everything sorted soon mate.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

• 3 months later...

I'm new to the boards here, but I've been designing logos and such since I was a kid and hope to do it as a career, as I am currently majoring in graphic design/new media at the University of KY, and designing logos and unis is my ultimate goal. To start building my portfolio, I've been doing some work for a local high school, for whom a buddy of mine has recently been named head boys' basketball coach. I've done some practice unis and a couple tourney logos for him, and am in the midst of working on a program and a design for the student section's nickname which will include t-shirts, and possibly a banner with my design on it. I guess in addition to this intro, I'm here looking for some help. My idea for the student section logo is to have 3 ferocious bulldogs, breaking away from their chains and looking like they're coming at you. I want one looking straight ahead, and the other two flanking him, one looking to the left and one to the right, but I want them to look slightly different, i.e. not a mirror image of one another. The main problem is drawing from my imagination- which I am not very good at. I feel like I have great ideas and I can draw pretty well, however I cannot draw from my brain- I have to draw from a picture. I've been working on this for a week or two and have been putting it off because basically, I'm lacking confidence in my abilities and have come here asking for a little help. All I really need is a basic shape and look of what the bulldogs will look like, and I can pretty much take the rest from there- it's getting started I'm having trouble with. I use Corel Draw X3, with hopes of getting Adobe Master Suite some time in the next year, so I feel I'm decent at working the images on the computer. Also, I tried posting some stuff earlier, but couldn't just attach an image to my post with a jpeg (it said I had to do it from a website?), so I was also wondering if I could get some tips on doing that as well, so I can upload my final product (and some other things I've been working on) for you guys to check out. BTW, I LOVE this sight and feel like it has been a godsend getting my creative and competitive juices flowing. I'm glad I don't feel alone in my passion for logos and unis.

I'm new to the boards here, but I've been designing logos and such since I was a kid and hope to do it as a career, as I am currently majoring in graphic design/new media at the University of KY, and designing logos and unis is my ultimate goal. To start building my portfolio, I've been doing some work for a local high school, for whom a buddy of mine has recently been named head boys' basketball coach. I've done some practice unis and a couple tourney logos for him, and am in the midst of working on a program and a design for the student section's nickname which will include t-shirts, and possibly a banner with my design on it. I guess in addition to this intro, I'm here looking for some help. My idea for the student section logo is to have 3 ferocious bulldogs, breaking away from their chains and looking like they're coming at you. I want one looking straight ahead, and the other two flanking him, one looking to the left and one to the right, but I want them to look slightly different, i.e. not a mirror image of one another. The main problem is drawing from my imagination- which I am not very good at. I feel like I have great ideas and I can draw pretty well, however I cannot draw from my brain- I have to draw from a picture. I've been working on this for a week or two and have been putting it off because basically, I'm lacking confidence in my abilities and have come here asking for a little help. All I really need is a basic shape and look of what the bulldogs will look like, and I can pretty much take the rest from there- it's getting started I'm having trouble with. I use Corel Draw X3, with hopes of getting Adobe Master Suite some time in the next year, so I feel I'm decent at working the images on the computer. Also, I tried posting some stuff earlier, but couldn't just attach an image to my post with a jpeg (it said I had to do it from a website?), so I was also wondering if I could get some tips on doing that as well, so I can upload my final product (and some other things I've been working on) for you guys to check out. BTW, I LOVE this sight and feel like it has been a godsend getting my creative and competitive juices flowing. I'm glad I don't feel alone in my passion for logos and unis.

never draw from memory, its far better to get a bunch of reference together.

The real problem may perhaps in being that I haven't found any really good references of this, hence me asking for a little help. I do agree with the drawing from memory thing, and I'll definitely take your advice, since you're damn good at this, so any other help?

After a little more exhaustive research, I may have found what I'm looking for, at least in the principle of the idea, and it's a Cerberus, but three separate bodies instead of one. Hopefully this gets a spark going that may actually lead to some productivity. Now, just how to figure how to post images and files on here....

Who are the "Big Three Monotheisms"??? Judaism, Islam and Catholicism? And why did they attack your website?

Pardon my ignorance (or is it naivete)?

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Who are the "Big Three Monotheisms"??? Judaism, Islam and Catholicism? And why did they attack your website?

Christianity, Islam, Judaism yup. Look up "pope song" on YouTube, apparently it ever so slightly upset some Catholics.

Christianity, Islam, Judaism yup. Look up "pope song" on YouTube, apparently it ever so slightly upset some Catholics.

• 2 months later...

Yarddawgs.jpg

The real problem may perhaps in being that I haven't found any really good references of this, hence me asking for a little help. I do agree with the drawing from memory thing, and I'll definitely take your advice, since you're damn good at this, so any other help?

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx97/phattmatt58/Yarddawgs.jpg

This is what I came up with, after months of looking and drawing. It's only a rough draft, and I'm fairly new to Photoshop (I use Corel Draw), so I'd love to know how to get it that Vector look- a more clean logo feel to it. Any help?

I don't want to be too blunt, but this doesn't seem to have much to do with Davidson's tutorial. I guess you have skipped over the sketching step and started with the details. Find reference material, try to draw your dogs in dynamic poses and worry about teeth and collars when you see nice silhouettes of beasts flowing in your illustration.

It is relevant because it is a.) drawing animals, and b.) read a few posts up and I mention exactly what I'm looking for and c.) it is only a rough draft. I was simply asking for advice on how to make them more "logoesque".

This is not a tutorial of how to make a drawing "logoesque", it is how to make a logo. All of these steps lead to making it look like a logo.

It is good that you have this drawing, for the fact that you see what you want it to look like and you can go to that point making the logo.

RockiesSig.png

It is relevant because it is a.) drawing animals, and b.) read a few posts up and I mention exactly what I'm looking for and c.) it is only a rough draft. I was simply asking for advice on how to make them more "logoesque".

This is not a tutorial of how to make a drawing "logoesque", it is how to make a logo. All of these steps lead to making it look like a logo.

It is good that you have this drawing, for the fact that you see what you want it to look like and you can go to that point making the logo.

How can I not communicate this any clearer? I know what this page is for, and I know that what I made is a logo, I just need it to be more polished and sleek, thus more "logoesque". It's hard for me for these reasons: 1- while I can draw, I've never been a 'sketch it out in several phases' type artist, which does me no favors, 2- It's a rather complicated design, with three bulldogs and chains, and 3- I'm using CorelDraw, and it's hard to get it looking like I want it to. This whole terminology of Vectors and Rasters is foreign to me, as my Photoshop skills are very amateur, and I don't have Adobe CS (yet), so I'm just looking for some tips/pointers on how to make it better, yet all I seem to be getting is confusion and criticism.

How can I not communicate this any clearer? I know what this page is for, and I know that what I made is a logo, I just need it to be more polished and sleek, thus more "logoesque". It's hard for me for these reasons: 1- while I can draw, I've never been a 'sketch it out in several phases' type artist, which does me no favors, 2- It's a rather complicated design, with three bulldogs and chains, and 3- I'm using CorelDraw, and it's hard to get it looking like I want it to. This whole terminology of Vectors and Rasters is foreign to me, as my Photoshop skills are very amateur, and I don't have Adobe CS (yet), so I'm just looking for some tips/pointers on how to make it better, yet all I seem to be getting is confusion and criticism.

Okay, dont take this the wrong way but to my eye what you have there is not a logo but an illustration (the piece with the three bulldogs). The difference between a logo and an illustration is in the execution. In your piece you rely on thin outlines to create the shapes and all the details within, but with a logo you would do that with large blocks of solid colours, The simplest way to think of it would be create a stylised silhouette and then lay areas of highlights or interest on top of that in a second and third colour, there shouldn't really be any lines at all to speak of and anything that appears to be a line will actually have been created by making the highlights on top follow the same shape as the outer shape but have been positioned within the the main shape giving the impression of an outline.

Because what you have right now is a line drawing you are going to struggle to make it more "logoesque" as you put it without starting over from scratch, because you dont have any areas you can fill a second colour without covering up the lines you've used to imply detail. You say you're not an artist that works in iterations or stages, but the truth is no one is from the get go it's a process you have to learn just as you would have learned to draw the way you are comfortable doing it just now.

Best advice I can give is buy a tracing pad and find good reference material. Work over the reference material and work on an accurate silhouette then take that sketch and with a new sheet of trace work on simplifying that shape and stylising it until you have it distilled to the simplest and most dynamic shape you can, do the same with the highlights and details, but dont think in terms of lines think in terms of blocks or areas of colour and you'll be sorted. I find it easier to work on paper first, but it's still the same process as Davidson explained at the start, and you may find it a quicker and easier way to work that way if you're finding Corel hard to use or dont yet have access to any of the Adobe products.

You seem to have a fair level of skill when it comes to sketching so I dont think this is anything you'll struggle with, it's simply a new technique that you'll need to get comfortable using is all.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Great thread all around... It's amazing to see all the different paths to a destination. I'm a "sketch-scan-trace" type of guy, just because I love the feel of a traditional illustration in the process, plus it allows me to do a TON of troubleshooting in the sketch phase, but to each their own. To Fraser, I really dig your work, especially how you intertwine the branding and identity flat work with motion graphics... very thorough process and slick work, indeed. And Harrington already knows I think he's a beast and very thorough and knowledgeable as well, but to all of you guys who are still trying to hone in on a style, there are a lot of different points to ponder on this thread, but it's safe to say there are no wrong answers... Use the tips and tricks that work for you and just constantly work on developing your own personal style. BE the change you want to see in the world!!!

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

Archived