YES Network to get new on screen graphics

TrueYankee26

The YES Network is diving into Opening Night coverage head first. On Saturday the Yankees conclude their Spring Training schedule with a game against the future stars of the organization to be aired on YES at 1 p.m. Immediately following the game stay tuned for the season premiere of The Joe Girardi Show when Michael Kay sits down with the Yankees' manager to discuss the week ahead and pass along questions from you the viewers!

In advance of our telecast of the Yankees-Red Sox season opener at 8 p.m., YES will present a special one-hour pre-game show live from our studios and on location at Fenway Park, during which we will introduce a new graphics package for its Yankees game telecasts, Yankees pre- and postgame shows and our Yankees Batting Practice Today show. This marks YES' first new Yankees graphics look for its Yankees package since 2005. The HD graphics are being built in Chyron's latest version of Lyric Pro 7.1 software to take full advantage of Lyric 3D capabilities and animation real-time rendering using their Chryon's Hyper x3 machine (a type of Duet machine).

What's unique about the new look is the extrusion function, which gives certain elements a 3-D look; i.e. highlighting a specific fact or player within a graphic; the extrusion draws attention to a specific factoid. The package was designed by YES and Mfactor, Inc. out of Venice, Calif. Mfactor helped build YES' last new Yankees graphics package in 2005. Among Mfactor's other clients include FOX Sports, NBC, Speed and Versus. Each piece of the package is built in 3-D, which makes YES possibly the only network to utilize 3-D objects and the only sports network to use this extrusion function in "real-time," which allows YES to highlight/extrude a fact or a player within a graphic in real-time. Click here for a photo gallery.

Don't forget: If you're an Optimum, Time Warner or Verizon subscriber, you can watch all 127 Yankees on YES games online from your computer! Each time you watch online with Yankees on YES you'll be provided with the same coverage and enhanced features of each game presented on live TV.

Prior to the game, stay logged on to YESNetwork.com for interviews and analysis from our panel of experts previewing the 2010 season. Jack Curry has interviews with Curtis Granderson (WATCH), Andy Pettitte and Red Sox players. Jon Lane also presents five questions facing the 2010 Yankees.

It's shaping up to be another memorable season of Yankees baseball - and this time YES chronicles the Yankees' mission to bring the trophy back to the Bronx. It all begins this weekend with a lead-in to a big Sunday night starting at 7 p.m., only on YES!

http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100402&content_id=9053596&oid=36019&vkey=4

I think this is a great time for new graphics. IMHO, this is about 2 years overdue.

spacer.png

FANTASY SPORTS: UBA (NBA): New York Scrapers | CL (MLB): St Pete Beach Clippers

Does YES! Network really only show Yankee games?

Also Nets games.

But this package is long overdue. It became even more apparent after SNY updated their package last year, the YES networks graphics were really starting to look dated.

Anubis.png

Hm. That's a departure. My guess is that the Yankees threw a fit when they couldn't produce the final game at the Old Stadium, or there's a general exemption for Opening Night telecasts.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hm. That's a departure. My guess is that the Yankees threw a fit when they couldn't produce the final game at the Old Stadium, or there's a general exemption for Opening Night telecasts.

No general exemption. Sunday night games are not broadcast by the Phillies network affiliates either (Comcast Sportsnet, Comcast Net, WPHL17.)

Maybe it has to do with the fact that some teams, like the Phillies, own and produce their own broadcasts, which are then just aired on their affiliates stations. Do NESN and YES simply air games that are produced by the teams, or do they actually by the rights to produce the games?

For example, if any games are not on NESN (like if they're on a local affiliate for some reason) are the gaphics and sets exactly the same? I remember back in 'da day, the Phillies were on three different channels, and each one had their own broadcasters, own sets, own music, etc.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Are the games that are on channel 9 simply re-badged YES broadcasts? I'm guessing yes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

According to the definitive source of truth, Wikipedia:

1. Local broadcast and cable stations which contract with a team toshow their games in the local market have priority to televise thosegames over national broadcasters (assuming that the nationalbroadcaster does not have exclusive rights to the game, as discussedbelow). If ESPN or MLB Networktelecasts a game, and the game was scheduled to be telecast by thelocal rights holder, the game will be blacked out on ESPN or MLBNetwork in that market (usually replaced by ESPNewsif the game is blacked out on ESPN, alternate feed of MLB Network ifthe game is blacked out in the local market). Similar blackouts occuron other networks which telecast nationally, such as WGN, although this would be considered a local broadcast in Chicagorespectively since the network only cover its local team (the gamewould be blacked out in the opponent's market only). (The samerestriction was in place when TBS televised the Atlanta Braves, which was a local broadcast in Atlanta.)

Maybe I was wrong about the Phillies being blacked out locally when on ESPN. Maybe I'm thinking about the FOX broadcasts instead, not ESPN.

Are the games that are on channel 9 simply re-badged YES broadcasts? I'm guessing yes.

Yes.

Yup. same graphics, and everything ever since the YES Network was founded as WCBS when they showed Yankees games (2002-04) used the YES production crew. Before then WNYW (FOX 5) had their own production crew to produce Yankees games

According to the definitive source of truth, Wikipedia:

1. Local broadcast and cable stations which contract with a team toshow their games in the local market have priority to televise thosegames over national broadcasters (assuming that the nationalbroadcaster does not have exclusive rights to the game, as discussedbelow). If ESPN or MLB Networktelecasts a game, and the game was scheduled to be telecast by thelocal rights holder, the game will be blacked out on ESPN or MLBNetwork in that market (usually replaced by ESPNewsif the game is blacked out on ESPN, alternate feed of MLB Network ifthe game is blacked out in the local market). Similar blackouts occuron other networks which telecast nationally, such as WGN, although this would be considered a local broadcast in Chicagorespectively since the network only cover its local team (the gamewould be blacked out in the opponent's market only). (The samerestriction was in place when TBS televised the Atlanta Braves, which was a local broadcast in Atlanta.)

Maybe I was wrong about the Phillies being blacked out locally when on ESPN. Maybe I'm thinking about the FOX broadcasts instead, not ESPN.

Fox games and ESPN Sunday night games are national-only. TBS Sunday afternoon and ESPN weeknight evenings are local and national. Miami can have Sunday night local games when it's too hot to play day games. This must be some special deal made with the Yankees and Red Sox.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived