2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs

NEW.ERA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Yes. Things go right for Pittsburgh teams (the ones that actually try) and you can't deny that Pittsburgh has enjoyed 3 to 4 times more good fortune in recent years than most cities. It's not fair and that's why I'm bitter.

Im chalking this sentiment up to you living in Ohio, I understand.

When things go good you see Pittsburgh fans everywhere, when things go bad they retreat to the hills and hide. Don't believe me, look at the Pirates, if they ever start to win you will see every person living there come out of the closet and claim to be a diehard lifelong fan. You couldn't find a penguins fan anywhere a few years ago either. It's a fair weather city and always has been. A lot of cities have good luck, but Pittsburgh fans like to talk trash and rub it in your face when they win, and when they lose, they disappear and claim they don't care anymore. This also comes from me, someone from Western PA

1. Yes. Things go right for Pittsburgh teams (the ones that actually try) and you can't deny that Pittsburgh has enjoyed 3 to 4 times more good fortune in recent years than most cities. It's not fair and that's why I'm bitter.

When things go good you see Pittsburgh fans everywhere, when things go bad they retreat to the hills and hide. Don't believe me, look at the Pirates, if they ever start to win you will see every person living there come out of the closet and claim to be a diehard lifelong fan. You couldn't find a penguins fan anywhere a few years ago either. It's a fair weather city and always has been. A lot of cities have good luck, but Pittsburgh fans like to talk trash and rub it in your face when they win, and when they lose, they disappear and claim they don't care anymore. This also comes from me, someone from Western PA

So how is that different than any other city? When a team loses, they lose a segment of bandwaggoners and sometimes it's half a

stadium worth of them.

I'm pulling for the Habs seeing as they're the last Canadian team in it

This is something I've never quite understood fully with fans of Canadian hockey teams. They feel this nationalistic pride in cheering for a Canadian team that they ordinarily, for 6+ months and 82 games, wish nothing but ill-will towards. Then, when that last Canadian team falls short of winning the Cup, these same Canadian fans turn their argument towards the reasoning of "Half that American team's roster is made up of Canadian players, so we Canadians feel like we've won it!". I think it's the worst spin of feigned nationalistic pride I've ever heard of, and to use it for argument's sake is dishonest.

I'm a Braves, Thrashers, Falcons, and Georgia fan. You'll never see cheering for the Mets, Saints, Capitals, or Gators to have postseason success....

It's especially odd considering it's the province that keeps wanting to get out of Canada. If I were from Quebec, I'm not sure how tickled I'd be if, say, some hoser out in Red Deer glommed onto my team's recent success, considering how much they resent the team's prior success.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Someone wanna do up a Pens logo with a 7-iron in his hands instead of a hockey stick? :D

Those golf logos were started by a guy over at our Ducks boards back in 2007 during the Stanley Cup one.

The Canucks one is seen here behind the net:

giguerecelebrates3may07vs9.jpg

We had this one in the Western Quarterfinals for Minnesota:

MIN2.gif

And we had one for the Red Wings, it was a golf ball in place of the wheel in the Red Wings logo. It looked so simple and brilliant, but I've searched for the last half hour or so and I can not for the life of me find it. It's no longer on our servers. If I find it, I'll post it.

We did a thing for the Senators too, but it wasn't golf related. I thought it was the weakest of the bunch personally.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Someone wanna do up a Pens logo with a 7-iron in his hands instead of a hockey stick? :D

Those golf logos were started by a guy over at our Ducks boards back in 2007 during the Stanley Cup one.

The Canucks one is seen here behind the net:

giguerecelebrates3may07vs9.jpg

We had this one in the Western Quarterfinals for Minnesota:

MIN2.gif

And we had one for the Red Wings, it was a golf ball in place of the wheel in the Red Wings logo. It looked so simple and brilliant, but I've searched for the last half hour or so and I can not for the life of me find it. It's no longer on our servers. If I find it, I'll post it.

We did a thing for the Senators too, but it wasn't golf related. I thought it was the weakest of the bunch personally.

A Sabres one would be pretty nifty, as the swords would become golf clubs. But the idea of it not so much...

buffalo_sabres_logo_edited.jpg

Now that the Penguins are out I really couldn't care less for Montreal, I'm a fan of a few of their players but I'll more than likely be rooting for either the Bruins or Flyers.

Also, I was thinking the Sens would be smart to pick up Gonchar this off-season but after this play here, I changed my mind.

Hi, how are you?

As for the Pirates I understand it. I believe it was Admiral that said something to the extent of even he had a tough time pulling for the Hawks for a few years when the old man was running the team because of what became of it. The Pirates arent really any different, they make no attempt at winning, they try and BS people into thinking they want to, but no one really buys it.

I still watch a good portion of their games off of Extra Innings, bought a few hats over the years, and drove up to see the new yard, but on the whole, no, I dont really much concern myself with them. As long as they arent concerned about winning, then I dont really concern myself with them. The Pens are different, ten years ago at the beginning of the fire sale, I was still right there, it was made perfectly clear what the organizations goal was, survive until a new CBA then the Pens would get it turned around. So I dealt with about five years of suck hockey because I was told as a fan it was for the better in the long run, and it paid off.

Now that the Penguins are out I really couldn't care less for Montreal, I'm a fan of a few of their players but I'll more than likely be rooting for either the Bruins or Flyers.

Also, I was thinking the Sens would be smart to pick up Gonchar this off-season but after this play here, I changed my mind.

I can assure you reading around on some Pens sites that a good number of people turned on him because of that play. If he wants to take a deep hit in salary I wouldnt mind him coming back, but I dont see that happening, some GM out there will pay him something comparable to the 5 a year he gets now. I thank Sarge for his five years, he has been an instrumental part of this team but that play was truly disgusting.

I know the Ducks didn't qualify, but I thought this was funny enough to post, since it is a spoof of the Playoff commercials...

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I know the Ducks didn't qualify, but I thought this was funny enough to post, since it is a spoof of the Playoff commercials...

That's one of the better spoofs I've seen. My favorite one is still the Bombay spoof.

FYI, NHL.com has some new history will be made commercials from these playoffs on their main page. They're pretty good.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Here's an interesting situation. The Canadiens currently have no captain. Say they do win the Stanley Cup this year, who get the honors of being the first to raise it? Does that honor go directly to one of the four assistant captains? Or does it go to the team's best player? If the answer is the latter choice, will we see the first Goalie have the Cup presented to him during the post-game celebration? If it hasn't been decided yet, my vote goes to Halak!!

Not having a captain is stupid. It's especially bad that there's no captain of the Montreal Canadiens. What, the shoes of Saku Koivu are simply too big for this franchise to fill?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived