Racine Rhinos

raysox

You may have seen this thread.

Well I thought I'd give it a try, since Burmy and I are friends from Minor League football, I contacted him, and he said I could give it a shot. So I found a picture of a Rhino statue, since it fit what I wanted to do, and went at it. I tried to make it different than the Grand Rapids Rampage logo. One thing with the logo is that, it looks mildly irritated than just pissed off. I made the logo once, then inkscape crashed and I didn't have it saved. The script is modified Kremlin, I thought a blocky font fit. Then he said somehow he'd like the shape of Wisconsin worked in, thus explains the alternate mark.

Here's the logo I made.

rhinos6.png

C&C?

I like the blocky font for a team named the Rhinos, but I think the logo should mirror that. There are no sharp angles in the logo itself, and I think it could look great with sharp angles. The North Dakota Fighting Sioux logo is sort of the idea I'm thinking, I'm sure there are more out there too.

I love the Wisconsin/R logo pointing to Racine. Good work.

I LOVE that logo! He did an EXCELLENT job here (I can definitely see Coach Moss wearing a hat with that R on it)

I don't mind the non-blockiness, because most of the women on that team have good curves! :D Plus, it's less likely to startle kids.

Overall, great job! The compensation is on its way...

bYhYmxh.png

I know it doesnt need to be angry or anything, but I think making his face even slightly more menacing would help this. It looks like he's pouting right now. Maybe look at the Grand Rapids Rampage for help on that ( I know you said you didn't want it looking like the Rampage, but it may help )

Other than that, it looks quite good, and Im not sure if you changed any angles in the state of Wisconsin outline... but it does slightly look like a rhino :P

I think his (or her I guess?), chin is too round, and it looks like the rhino is biting its lip. I think if you opened up its mouth and showed its teeth, it would look great. Fantastic start on this by the way.

30vja50.png

GIANTS_REDSOX_CELTICS_LIGHTNING_BULLS

I think his (or her I guess?), chin is too round, and it looks like the rhino is biting its lip. I think if you opened up its mouth and showed its teeth, it would look great. Fantastic start on this by the way.

1. I like the Rhino with its curvy goodness (Looks more like the mascot outfit will)

2. Rhinos are herbivorous (so I'd rather not have them showing teeth)

bYhYmxh.png

The whole package needs another colour imo. I remember the brief from the requests section and it was the first thing that went through my head then and having seen a design in the flesh as it were it's done nothing to change my opinion.

While in actuality the grey may be a silver, online and if it's for a semi pro team I'll bet for the vast majority of print as well (as metallic inks can be pricey) that silver will actually be grey so what you have in actuality is a single colour print job. The fact there's no bright accent colour also makes it incredibly hard to create any sense of movement or emotion within the piece, it comes across kinda cold and sterile.

The logo is okay, I think especially because of the limiting palette you really need to go HEAVY on the contrast, you want big huge blocky shapes to create a real feeling of boldness and weight. If you dont have the colours available to help communicate emotions then use the stark colours you have to communicate the immense weight and strength of these animals.

On the logotype I'd look at using a second font for the place name, just a personal preference but I always like to use two fonts for that, it means you have more than one option for fonts when it comes to alternate logos or for use in printed materials that reference the logo. I'd also look at opening the kerning in the place name out so it matches the width of Rhinos that way the angled "shadow" underneath will work better as all the text will be on a block that's the same width.

It's a good start but I think you need to push this further to get the most out of it.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

The whole package needs another colour imo. I remember the brief from the requests section and it was the first thing that went through my head then and having seen a design in the flesh as it were it's done nothing to change my opinion.

While in actuality the grey may be a silver, online and if it's for a semi pro team I'll bet for the vast majority of print as well (as metallic inks can be pricey) that silver will actually be grey so what you have in actuality is a single colour print job. The fact there's no bright accent colour also makes it incredibly hard to create any sense of movement or emotion within the piece, it comes across kinda cold and sterile.

The logo is okay, I think especially because of the limiting palette you really need to go HEAVY on the contrast, you want big huge blocky shapes to create a real feeling of boldness and weight. If you dont have the colours available to help communicate emotions then use the stark colours you have to communicate the immense weight and strength of these animals.

On the logotype I'd look at using a second font for the place name, just a personal preference but I always like to use two fonts for that, it means you have more than one option for fonts when it comes to alternate logos or for use in printed materials that reference the logo. I'd also look at opening the kerning in the place name out so it matches the width of Rhinos that way the angled "shadow" underneath will work better as all the text will be on a block that's the same width.

It's a good start but I think you need to push this further to get the most out of it.

9erssteve

And who's giving him the compensation again? I think it's just perfect the way it is!

bYhYmxh.png

9erssteve

And who's giving him the compensation again? I think it's just perfect the way it is!

First draft and you're ready to fork over the dough? Dang, I should have slapped together a concept.

9erssteve

Hmmm, insecure much? Dont get the hump with me because the DESIGNER asked for comments and feedback on THEIR WORK! I WASN'T even addressing you was I? No, I was talking to Ray.

If you're happy thats fine, great pay the man and job's done.

But RAY, the CREATOR, asked OTHERS how THEY could improve it, which by the way he has every right to do whether you think it's perfect or not! I stand by EVERYTHING I said in my feedback and if you dont like that well that's your opinion and your perfectly entitled to it but I could care less if you agree with me or not as the truth is YOU DIDN'T ask for the feedback RAY DID.

I care what Ray thinks, and hope he's more open to feedback than you are. If he chooses to act on some or all of it then great I think it will make the design stronger, if however he choses not to then that's his choice to but I think he's missing chance to create something much much stronger.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

9erssteve

Hmmm, insecure much? Dont get the hump with me because the DESIGNER asked for comments and feedback on THEIR WORK! I WASN'T even addressing you was I? No, I was talking to Ray.

If you're happy thats fine, great pay the man and job's done.

But RAY, the CREATOR, asked OTHERS how THEY could improve it, which by the way he has every right to do whether you think it's perfect or not! I stand by EVERYTHING I said in my feedback and if you dont like that well that's your opinion and your perfectly entitled to it but I could care less if you agree with me or not as the truth is YOU DIDN'T ask for the feedback RAY DID.

I care what Ray thinks, and hope he's more open to feedback than you are. If he chooses to act on some or all of it then great I think it will make the design stronger, if however he choses not to then that's his choice to but I think he's missing chance to create something much much stronger.

9erssteve

I apologize if I came across as antagonizing...it's just that I REALLY love his original design!

Tell you what...I'll be fine with the feedback you give, and even see how he adapts that into revision. All I ask is that he keeps the original version saved so I can compare them side by side and make a decision. Sound fair?

bYhYmxh.png

They say your first idea is never the best (whether that's true or not is debateable). Give the design some time to sink in, let Raysox do some changes that the feedback suggests and then see how it comes out. If you like the original, that's great.

Here's a version with some added colour. I thought about an additional colour, but thought that a black and grey scheme would work with a team name like this. The Raiders pull it off really good. I'm not sure if the logo itself is better, but the script pops a lot more. I tried making the back part of the design(Black streaks) to darker grey as just a highlight.

rhinos8.png

PERSONALLY, as a designer... I like the first better, but Burmy decides it in the end. Any other ideas?

I apologize if I came across as antagonizing...it's just that I REALLY love his original design!

Tell you what...I'll be fine with the feedback you give, and even see how he adapts that into revision. All I ask is that he keeps the original version saved so I can compare them side by side and make a decision. Sound fair?

Yes you did, and apology accepted.

Like I said you could hate the feedback I gave it wouldn't bother me a jot, whether Ray acts on it is what's important, and I'd hope if he wants got improve he'll at least consider all the feedback given, and have a good reason for acting on it whomever delivers it. If any designer has good justification for not acting on feedback then that's fine, but they should ALWAYS consider all feedback and have a reason for everything they do and dont do.

As to him keeping his early iterations, I certainly do, but you'd need to ask him to do that not me.

Here's a version with some added colour. I thought about an additional colour, but thought that a black and grey scheme would work with a team name like this. The Raiders pull it off really good. I'm not sure if the logo itself is better, but the script pops a lot more. I tried making the back part of the design(Black streaks) to darker grey as just a highlight.

rhinos8.png

PERSONALLY, as a designer... I like the first better, but Burmy decides it in the end. Any other ideas?

Sorry I have to disagree, as "classic" and "iconic" as the Raiders identity may have become, imo it's also one of the most static and staid in the NFL. Compare it with the Jags, Texans for example, or if you're looking for a team with a similar "theme" check the Bucs identity, there is a ton more life and movement in those identities than there ever will be in the Raiders one. When you're primary colour is silver it's going to appear grey about 75% of the time or more and basically means you're doing everything in black and white. Whereas if you have a strong colour palette to work from you have all those colours to reference, for example in say, merchandise (colours for t-shirts caps etc) or in brochure work or gameday mags you can use those colours for headline colours etc and it helps add value and recognition to everything and can widen the range of tings you can do. Plus you can still have greyscale versions of everything if needs be. But if all you have to work with is black and grey it can be very very limiting when you start to consider everywhere the identity will have to be used.

The script certainly benefits from an added colour. The logo doesn't because with the greatest of respect you haven't added any colour to the logo. As a designer you should be able to come up with a more creative way of introducing that third colour than a frankly unnecessary outline. I'd also question the choice of green, which is known as a pretty stable/calming colour when trying to add a colour to introduce some life and excitement to the piece, but maybe it's in the town colours or something I dont know but it certainly wouldn't have been my first choice.

9ressteve

9ersstevesig.png

I know it doesnt need to be angry or anything, but I think making his face even slightly more menacing would help this. It looks like he's pouting right now. Maybe look at the Grand Rapids Rampage for help on that ( I know you said you didn't want it looking like the Rampage, but it may help )

Other than that, it looks quite good, and Im not sure if you changed any angles in the state of Wisconsin outline... but it does slightly look like a rhino :P

Actually he did, but if he hadn't it'd look even more like a rhino IMO. Either way, this is probably the most creative use of the Wisconsin outline that I've ever seen.

Thank you all for your feedback...however, both Mike and I still prefer the original, and that is the one I'm going with.

Thank you very much though-good to hear that!

bYhYmxh.png

Archived