The MLS Needs a New Logo

jstraper

I did a brief search to see if there was a topic on this subject, but if there was, I apologize for redundancy. With that, I'd like to get an idea from the amateur experts here about the MLS logo:

MLS%20logo%281%29.jpg

Personally, I think it's outdated and lame. With the trend of MLS team logos being less cartoon-y and more traditional "futbol"-style, why shouldn't the league follow suit?

For one, the soccer ball looks a lot different now than it did waaaaay back in....1993.

Thoughts or concepts?

Well, I roughed this one up in about 5 minutes (and it shows) but it's not cartoony, just incredibly bland and boring, which sounds like it's what eh OP wants.

Mlslogo.gif

I like the current MLS logo, although I think the shading on the white panels on teh ball needs adjusting, as it makes it seem like they're far to raised.

Well, I roughed this one up in about 5 minutes (and it shows) but it's not cartoony, just incredibly bland and boring, which sounds like it's what eh OP wants.

Mlslogo.gif

I like the current MLS logo, although I think the shading on the white panels on teh ball needs adjusting, as it makes it seem like they're far to raised.

Looks like the Bundesliga.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I like the idea of giving the MLS a "silhouette" logo akin to the logos of the NBA and MLB.

As for rebranding "Major League Soccer." Sure, maybe American soccer isn't the best in the world, but the "Major League" branding associates it with American baseball and the fact that "major league" has just come to mean the highest level of play in a respective country or organization.

Here's a logo I did real quick to show my ideas. It's no where near finished and I think it looks really amateurish. But I figured I'd past what I have done so far. It's really looks like a cross between MLB/NBA (silhouette) and NHL because of the gradients...

MLS.png

Don't mind the current logo and name.

Aside wheter you think that MLS is/will (never) become a Major League, I don't think a name change is on the agenda anytime soon. Pro soccer is North America is now known as MLS in North America itself, but also in other parts of the world. Wouldn't a name change basically make you start from scratch in recognition?

I wouln't mind a new logo/colors tough.

as for the designs shared

Mlslogo.gif

looks similiar to the FMF (Mexican league logo).

I wouldn't mind such a "bland and boring" logo, if it had a more active/attacking/ball striking silhouette.

For me the FMF logo has the same problem.

MLSlogoconceptA.gif

Hello & welcome :)

lots of good ideas in your logo, I like it a lot appart of the star ball (UEFA Champions League?).

The 3 maple leafs for the 3 Canadian teams and 16 stars for the US teams is a nice touch, however they should fully expand first, even if it's just the current round of expansion before they add that, unless of corse they don't use the exact number of teams and maple leafs/stars.

The central part reminds me a little of FIFA World Cup USA 94 Logo.

How would it look, if you had the maple leafs red (the ones in the blue top part)?

the rounded placement of the league name is a bit "uncomfortable" to me.

MLS.png

allright too, like the silhouette.

not a fan of the greyish frame, league name placement and font tough.

I wouldn't mind such a "bland and boring" logo, if it had a more active/attacking/ball striking silhouette.

For me the FMF logo has the same problem.

Only reason I used that silhouette was because I wanted to use Preki (as the only MLs multi-MVP) and I couldn't find a good enough "active" photo for me to bastardize into a crappy logo.

I don't know about the silhouette. It's used mainly for the Players Associations of leagues in North America and doesn't seem like it would fit here. I think a shield idea would fall more in line with other leagues in the US

The NBA and MLB use silhouettes

GFB and vicfurth-

Really appreciate your commentary; certainly constructive. I forgot how serious some people take their internetz.

Here's the concept I've been withholding from you guys:

mlslogo.jpg

mlslogo1.jpg

(Notice the "EST. 1993" on the left and right tails)

Self-critique:

Obviously it's going for the more "traditional" football/soccer look. You get the basic idea with the logo: it's a basic shield with [North] American colors (like what untvar mentioned). Personally I could even see it done without the blue. On top of that, tweaking the banner to, perhaps, a more frayed look (hence the "active" border), along the lines of traditional team scarf may be an improvement, such as:

AC%20Milan%20SCARF01.jpg

(Get the idea of "tradition" here? It's something MLS member teams have been doing with their respective logos, but the league hasn't with their logo as of yet. Tradition is something the league is and should continue to strive for.)

And as you can see, another addition I experimented with was "EST. 1993" along the left and right "tails" of the [extended] "scarf" banner. And I thought about putting "A CONCACAF MEMBER" within the logo somewhere, but felt it may be too busy.

The top ("MAJOR LEAGUE"): I went with a black background, though I tried it out with both red and white as well. Black appeared bold and simple enough. I added the star in an attempt to add a little more substance; not sure about the color though.

Lastly, as for the font, I didn't have precisely what I was aiming for, but the idea is there. The wordmark is a bit bland (something like the font from the front page of the Houston Chronicle would work better in my opinion).

PS: Halfway through making this logo I realized it looks nearly identical to the Sports E-Cyclopedia logo. Maybe it was subconscious, but I figured I may as well mention that before someone else.

===============

As for the name, as it has been mentioned, "Major League" was clearly just used to market toward the American sport interest (as were the initial silly rules of a countdown clock that stopped for dead balls). It's definitely not ideal, but with the addition of Canadian franchises, "American" probably couldn't be used. Though perhaps something with "North American" is still a possibility.

The fact is, they could dub themselves the "Premier Soccer League" or "World Soccer League" or "Professional Soccer League" or even "THE Soccer League" since, let's be honest, how many other countries use the term "soccer"?

Usually, concept threads consist of a poster showing the board a sketch, logo, uniform, or something of that nature. Personally, I have no problem whatsoever with you saying the MLS logo is outdated; I agree with you there. This thread, originally, came off as one of two things:

1) You wanted to only talk about how the logo was outdated

2) You were begging for concepts (which we've had before)

I wasn't trying to be contradictory or anti-whatever. Honestly, I was just looking for an excuse to use the Spongebob picture because I thought it was funny.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Usually, concept threads consist of a poster showing the board a sketch, logo, uniform, or something of that nature. Personally, I have no problem whatsoever with you saying the MLS logo is outdated; I agree with you there. This thread, originally, came off as one of two things:

1) You wanted to only talk about how the logo was outdated

2) You were begging for concepts (which we've had before)

I wasn't trying to be contradictory or anti-whatever. Honestly, I was just looking for an excuse to use the Spongebob picture because I thought it was funny.

Fair enough. Here's another random gif you can use:

14c4rxz.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I actually own "AmericanPremierLeague.com" and "NorthAmericanPremierLeague.com" just in case MLS ever did a name change or I could start a futsal league. It can't be seriously called "major" with some players making less than district managers at McDonalds.

Get rid of "Major League Soccer" in any logo. You can tell what the sport is just looking at the logo, just like you can with most soccer league logos. "MLS" on the logo is enough.

I'm not an artist, but I envision a revised logo similar to the EPL logo of the lion facing left with a paw on a soccer ball, only it's a grizzly bear facing right with a paw on a soccer ball.

Here's a logo I did real quick to show my ideas. It's no where near finished and I think it looks really amateurish. But I figured I'd past what I have done so far. It's really looks like a cross between MLB/NBA (silhouette) and NHL because of the gradients...

MLS.png

Lose the frame and the words "Major League Soccer" and that's light-years better than the current MLS logo.

MLSlogo.png

No, not really. It feels uber-generic. Which I suppose for some people is better, but I disagree.

Frankly, I've never understood the hate for the MLS logo.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived