Miami Marlins

chickenfish13

Hey Guys.

So, I was bored today, and decided to try and sketch something... I don't usually sketch, I just go straight to the computer, but I'm trying to sketch a bit more.

I did a Marlins logo a loooong time ago, but it was pretty bad, and I wanted to try something different.

The concept is pretty much self explanatory, a Marlin jumping out of a wave with the Wordmark below. The colors are just an update on Florida's current. Also, kind of obvious, but theres 2 hidden M's in the Marlin's "mane" ( im not sure what the correct term is.)

I enjoyed this, as I mentioned I sketched it, and I pretty much took a picture of a Marlin horizontal, and curved it's tail and made a few tweaks. It's cool to see ideas come to life... because of this it may not be 100% anatomically correct, so let me know what you guys see wrong with it.

Thanks

miamimarlins.png

Needs the orange to make it pop. Orange highlights would be really nice.

As of now, the logo looks more like something for a surf shop than an MLB team, probably because of the font's curvature.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

reminds me a lot of that milb Marlin team just posted on the site. not an awful start, but needs a lot of work. I would also drop the tailfin behind the script to create some pop (honk if you hate it when people say pop). Also, the script is pretty bland. Good start though

Just to clarify, the only thing I looked at in the new Marlins logo just posted was the waves, which I admit may be kind of a rip. But the Marlin itself was based off of a picture of one, and tweaked and curved to my liking. I'll kinda step back though, and re-work it a bit.

Thanks for the help, keep commenting if you like.

I love the hidden M's, but I find that the Marlin looks like he's more of a Dolphin with a pointy nose because the large fin doesn't look attached. If it was better attached I think it would look much better.

i disagree that this is a ripoff of the morehead city logo...they're both marlins and blue, but there aren't a lot of other similarities

that said, this falls short in a couple of areas - your proportions are off - the fish is too short and stout and the bill seems a little wide, especially at the front - solid start, but it could use some work

jldesigns404eo.png

OK, heres another update, I made the Marlin longer, and the bill more slender.

marlins3.png

If I were too include Orange anywhere, where would you guys suggest it? Or is it fine without?

EDIT:

Heres a couple hats I was fooling around with:

marlinshats-2.png

Awesome so far.

It's going to take a little getting used to not seeing an "F" :P

5amlwx.jpg

I think orange would look perfect here. Probably in some of the highlights on the fish, where you have sliver and/or white wuold work. Maybe some outlining in the wordmark would spice up the cap logo too

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

the sail looks better but still very cartoony. i think it begins too far forward; it shouldnt be right on top of his head should it? the fish still needs to be longer though, that would probably fix the sail problem.

i like the Marlins script but not with it being two-toned liked that. either go white or add a stroke or two to it. that will make it seem so its not chopped in half, but actually is one object. your blue "shadow" bends the opposite way of the bottom of the logo, i think they both need to go up like a smiley face would. that would also make it seem like the fish is jumping out of it, giving an upward "motion" to the whole logo.

i think "miami" is a bit too heavy. id stick with the same font but a lighter weight and tighten up the kearning. it dosnt seem to fit in there at all and is just forced to stretch across this big black area. perhaps instead of making the bottom of the logo a wide bend, it could be in the shape of a wave too?

i wouldnt add orange. the contrast of orange will not just make the logo "pop" but will be an eyesore if used too much. thats going to be the thing your eye will be latched on to, and with 4 colors already in the logo i fear its going to be a mess. even as a trim color, your eye will gravitate torwards it so if you do use it, use it very wisely

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived