NHL Jerseys

worcat

Thanks to NHLUniforms.com, I was able to compile this collage of what I would consider to be my favorite NHL jerseys to make a "Classic" NHL. These are what I consider to be the most favorite and untouchable jerseys in team history. While I know that this is subject to personal preference, I would love to see what everyone else votes for. I know I chose the EDGE style jerseys for most of the original six. I don't believe the Reebok style is the best but since it is so current I tried to keep it as uniform as possible with remastered logos and the like. I tried to keep third jerseys out of this collection since some teams have better ones than others and would create a whole other topic. Imagine if your team could NEVER change their jersey again and you had to pick one from the past - which ones would you pick? These are my selections. While there are a few things I would change here and there to make myself happy - I tried to also keep that out of the "Fantasy realm" and with what actually exists. Let the debate begin!!

Image32.png

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Unlike the OP, I did add in third jerseys when appropriate. I hope that's okay. I also went deep into some team's histories to find unique styles of theirs that haven't been worn in a while. Keep in mind that I'm not a huge hockey fan and don't know a lot about its history and uni-related traditions, so this is based purely on aesthetic value for me. I also avoided Edge designs like the plague since they're almost entirely ugly, IMO.

mynhl-1.png

mynhl-2.png

mynhl-3.png

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Unlike the OP, I did add in third jerseys when appropriate. I hope that's okay. I also went deep into some team's histories to find unique styles of theirs that haven't been worn in a while. Keep in mind that I'm not a huge hockey fan and don't know a lot about its history and uni-related traditions, so this is based purely on aesthetic value for me. I also avoided Edge designs like the plague since they're almost entirely ugly, IMO.

mynhl-1.png

mynhl-2.png

mynhl-3.png

i like that you went out of your way to bring back the whalers. I love you lol.

not exactly what i was looking for but i love the different choices.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Yeah, I basically tried to pick the most unique uniforms each team had, so that there would be more variety. Mainly, I just wanted an excuse to reinstate such timeless classics as the Wild Wing, the Burger King, the Flying V, and the Gorton's Fisherman. :P

We should have one of these threads for each sport, I think. It was fun.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Here is my go at it:

nhlunis.jpg

The Whale never moves out of Hartford and the Jets stay in Winnipeg. I noticed a good portion of mine come from the late 70's and early 80's and only used the current Edge uniform 6 times. Looking at it overall, the only team that really stands out like a sore thumb is Nashville...but there really wasn't a good choice for them.

For the Devils I went with the Christmas jerseys...I guess if you are from Jersey you just have to love the red and greens.

70389454.png

NHLeras.png

*if I went with a look that was the same in both the Edge and pre-Edge eras, I went with the Edge version, since hypothetically that's the template all of these would be in if the league went with all of these looks full time in the present day. I also only used current teams. So no Whalers or Jets or Nordiques here.

Anaheim Ducks- I hate the Disney look, so I went with the current Cup-era look.

Atlanta Thrashers- I went with the pre-Edge look here.

Boston Bruins- Current Edge set. It's a near-perfect look.

Buffalo Sabres- You can't go wrong with the classic royal blue and athletic gold. Though I expect next season's updates of the classic look to surpass the original, but I was confined to uniforms only up to the 2009-2010 season.

Calgary Flames- The pre-Edge look is the best all-around look the franchise has had, in my opinion. The Flames are one of those teams that the addition of black actually benefited.

Carolina Hurricanes- Went with the Cup-era look, losing the pointless piping and the train wreck that is the black alternate of the Edge identity.

Chicago Blackhawks- I went with the last set that included the black alternates rather then the current set with the WC alternates. The old black Blackhawks alts were, in my opinion, of the most underrated sweaters in the league.

Colorado Avalanche- Went with the Cup-era pre-Edge look.

Columbus Blue Jackets- Easily the best look this team has had. No awkward ribbon/stick logo, no neon green, no forced bug logo.

Dallas Stars- I think I'm the only one here who didn't like the Stars' All-Star template sweaters. I also loved the set they had previous to that look, so I went with it here.

Detroit Red Wings- One of the untouchables.

Edmonton Oilers- I'm not crazy about the vintage Cup-era look colours, to be honest. I thought the navy/copper look was a great update of the classic scheme, so I went with that. I opted for the earlier version with the navy yoke on the white sweater, as I felt it tied in more closely with the classic look more so then later versions.

Florida Panthers- Their first look was perfect. Sadly they've felt the need to tweak it at every opportunity.

Los Angeles Kings- The Gretzky-era look. It was the one time the Kings were relevant, and it's not bad on the eyes either.

Minnesota Wild- The best uniform set they've had, in my opinion. Green dark sweater, red vintage inspired alternate.

Montreal Canadiens- If any team should have tie-down collars, it's the Habs.

Nashville Predators- I actually thought their first set was rather clever. I was also a fan of the old tower alternate logo.

New Jersey Devils- The Devils, since moving to New Jersey, have had two awesome, classic-like uniform sets, but I had to go with the Cup-era look.

New York Islanders- The pre-Edge set was the perfect update of the classic Cup-era look.

New York Rangers- The late 90s look was the best look the Rangers had, in my opinion. The striping on the blues matched the striping on the whites, and the alternate provided for a nice modern touch to a traditional set.

Ottawa Senators- This look, I think, was pretty solid. I was never a fan of the 3D logo, or the wild chest stripe on the later red sweater. This look is subtle, classy, and effective.

Philadelphia Flyers- The pre-black primary/pre-Edge set was the best for them. It was a great update of the vintage look, and the black alternate was nice when worn sparingly.

Phoenix Coyotes- I never liked their original southwestern motif. To busy. The current identity is pretty solid, and I think the best version of that identity was the first version. For some reason I love the mismatched collars and the alternate logo on only one shoulder.

Pittsburgh Penguins- I always thought it was cool that all of Pittsburgh's teams had (essentially) the same colour scheme. The new black/Vegas gold look is nice, but just not for the Pens (the Ducks pull it off much better). So I went to the 90s Cup-era uniforms. They still look like they would fit right in to the NHL of today.

San Jose Sharks- While I think their current sweater template is to traditional for their sleek, new logo, I had to go with the current set. The new logo is is better then the old one my a mile, and I like the hints of orange the team now uses.

St. Louis Blues- The pre-Edge set was one of the nicest in the league. They need to return to it, STAT.

Tampa Bay Lightning- This one was tough. Either a boring yet inoffensive sweater with a terrible logo, or a generic awful sweater with a decent logo. In the end I went with the decent logo. Though I like the template used for their current alt, I couldn't include it. The "BOLTS" script screams minor league.

Toronto Maple Leafs- The mid-90s gave us the perfect Leafs uniform. Block names and number gave the uniforms a nice grounded, classic look.

Vancouver Canucks- They've had a lot of decent/great elements through the years, but never a single uniform to use them all effectively. The current set is the closest they've come.

Washington Capitals- The original sets were awful, and the 90s sets were nonsensical. The current set, while not perfect, is the best they've had. The W/eagle/Capital Dome logo elevates this set all on its own, even if it is criminally underused.

Yeah, I basically tried to pick the most unique uniforms each team had, so that there would be more variety. Mainly, I just wanted an excuse to reinstate such timeless classics as the Wild Wing, the Burger King, the Flying V, and the Gorton's Fisherman. :P

We should have one of these threads for each sport, I think. It was fun.

Really, Lights Out? The Mooterus? You picked the friggin' Mooterus? Really? :P

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

For me it would go like this:

Anahiem Ducks - I always liked there first set

Atlanta Thrashers - The original set is the best they've had so far

Boston Bruins - The 70's/80's look plus add in the 90's Alt.

Buffalo Sabres - My favorite is the "slug" but add the original as a third

Calgary Flames - The 03-04 set minus the red third

Carolina Hurricanes - The current is perfect

Chicago Blackhawks - The Current is perfect but somhow add the 09 black a 4th

Colorado Avalanche - The 96-08 set was the best

Columbus Blue Jackets - i liked the 00-07 set especially with the bug patch

Dallas Stars - The best set they had was the 99-08 set add the so called "mootress" to it

Detroit REd Wings - I Have no problem

Edmonton Oilers - I liked Their Inagural NHL set with the addition of the Navy third Todd Macfarlane created

Florida Panthers - Original is the way to go

I have to agree that the "mootress" is odd, but if you take out the constilaton it's not all that bad.

As for my part 2:

Los Angeles Kings - 80's all the way prior to the gretzky era

Minnesota Wild - The originall set and the red third, allways a classic

Montreal Canadiens - The current set with the addition of thirds, fourths: 1909,1911

Nashville Predators - Original withe the Mustard third

New Jersey Devils - I cant' choose to many but the current with a third, add the "st. pats" jersey

N.Y. Islanders - Fisherman all the way!!!

N.Y. Rangers - Current with the addition of the statue of liberty 3rds, classic

Ottawa Senators - Pre Edge, including the black and gold Alt.

Philadelphia Flyers - Broad street bullies era

Phoniex Coyotes - Pre Edge but with the addition of the green Alt. from the original set

Pittsburgh Penguins - 90's Alt. with the white add the 93 away as a third

St. Louis Blues - Greztky era of red, yellow, blue

San Jose Sharks - Current set With the addition as the Original away as a third

Tampa Bay Lightning - Original set

Toronto Maple Leafs - pre Edge

Vancouver Canucks - V baby all the way

Washington Capitals - either Original or current

That's my take on the way the NHL should look like

Here's my set:

best_nhl.jpg

I picked every franchise's best look (whether in their current or previous city). I'm partial to green, as you can tell. And there are very few Edge looks I'm a fan of, but I included a couple. Oh, and Nashville and Tampa really don't have any "good" looking sets.

I'm too lazy to post an image, but here's what I'm throwing down:

Anaheim: 2006-07

Atlanta: 2006-07

Boston: 1969-74

Buffalo: 1983-87

Calgary: 2006-07

Carolina: 2000-07

Chicago: 1996-99

Colorado: 1999-2001

Columbus: 2007-Current

Dallas: 1999-2003, 06-07

Detroit: 1986-2007

Edmonton: 1981-94

Florida: 1993-1998

Los Angeles: 1992-95

Minnesota: 2003-07

Montreal: 1978-84

Nashville: 1998-2001

New Jersey: 1992-2007

NY Islanders: 1978-84

NY Rangers: 1990-96

Ottawa: 1993-95

Philadelphia: 1984-97

Phoenix: 2003-07

Pittsburgh: 1988-92

St. Louis: 1998-2007

San Jose: 1991-97

Tampa Bay: 2001-2007

Toronto: 1963-67

Vancouver: 1977-78

Washington: 2007-Current

Here is what I have and a couple notes:

-Buffalo will almost certainly change when they unveil their away jersey for next year

-All Tampa Bay uniforms have been horrible

-I used the Edge uniform if it was the same as a pre-Edge uniform

nhluniforms.png

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Well here is my collage...

00000000000jerseyssss.jpg

Anaheim - Went with the Disney era uniforms cause the colour scheme is unique and it actually displays a duck instead of a cheesy wordmark.

Atlanta Thrashers - Only team in NHL history to NEVER have a matching uniform set. This one came the closest. Prefer the old Powder Blues to the Navys

Boston Bruins - A rare case of an Edge design being an improvement

Buffalo Sabres - Red and Black all the way, the only good uniforms buffalo ever had. Great Logos.

Calgary Flames - 2004 to 2006 jerseys were perfect in every way. Plus they were worn during Calgarys 04 playoff run which was some of the best hockey I've ever seen (and Im a Canucks fan).

Carolina Hurricanes - First set.

Chicago Blackhawks - Untouchable

Colorado Avalanche - Cup era uniforms before they darkened the burgundy.

Columbus Blue Jackers - Gotta go with the new Edge unis. The prior ones were awful.

Dallas Stars - The Jersey they won the cup in and one of my favourite designs of all time. Green is your friend Dallas.

Detroit - Another untouchable

Edmonton Oilers - Midnight Blue and Copper looks so dated and dull. Orange and Royal Blue all the way.

Florida Panthers - First Set but with the arched nameplate. That red jersey is a modern classic.

L.A. Kings - Black and Silver

Montreal Canadiens - untouchable

Nashville Predators - The mustard jersey was gaudy and downright ugly... exactly what a hockey team from Nashville should be wearing. Their fans liked them and the colour is unique, you'd never mistake them for anybody else.

New Jersey Devils - Red and Black is overdone, I loved the Devils original scheme.

New York Islanders - I dont think the Islanders should use the Fisherman Logo but I've always loved the secondary Lighthouse patches and the updated colour scheme so I went with the transition jerseys with the old logo. I think they look very sharp.

New York Rangers - Lady Liberty Jerseys. From an aesthetic standpoint they're the best jerseys the Rangers ever had.

Ottawa Senators - Old school jerseys. Black updated with white accents.

Philadelphia Flyers - retros without the ridiculous nameplate.

Phoenix Coyotes - Im a huge fan of Phoenix's original jersey set. That colour scheme is very attractive and original as is the Picasso inspired logo.

St Louis Blues - Not a fan of the two different shades of Blue in the their current set. Red looked great when used in moderation (the 90's slanted uniforms were too much)

San Jose Sharks - Pre Edge uniforms without the shiny materials.

Tampa Bay Lightning - The Lightning have not had one good uniform set. The pre-edge ones were slightly better I think.

Toronto Maple Leafs - Old Leaf Logo

Vancouver Canucks - Blue and Green, way it should be. No wordmarks or orca's.

Washington Capitals - Enough teams use blue and red. These were unique and not bad looking at all.

Hmmm..

(Note: In MY NHL, the Coyotes are back in Winnipeg as the Jets)

Anaheim Ducks--2006-07 version (when the stripes actually went all the way around the jersey)

Atlanta Thrashers--2006-07 version

Boston Bruins--current set

Buffalo Sabres--original set

Calgary Flames--2006-07 set (with 1980-94 red jersey as alternate)

Carolina Hurricanes--current set (including black alternate)

Chicago Blackhawks--current set (with 1937-55 black throwback as an alternate)

Colorado Avalanche--original set

Columbus Blue Jackets--current set

Dallas Stars--2006-07 set

Detroit Red Wings--current set

Edmonton Oilers--1996-07 set (with Gretzky-era blue jersey as alternate)

Florida Panthers--original set

Los Angeles Kings--1998-07 set (with Gretzky-era black jersey as alternate)

Minnesota Wild--current set and alternate

Montreal Canadiens--current set (with 1945-47 white throwback as alternate)

Nashville Predators--current alternate as home jersey, white version of alternate as road

New Jersey Devils--current set

New York Islanders--1998-07 set (with current alternate)

New York Rangers--current set (with Lady Liberty blue jersey as alternate)

Ottawa Senators--original set

Philadelphia Flyers--"Broad Street Bullies" set

Pittsburgh Penguins--2002-07 set (with 1978-80 blue jersey as alternate)

St. Louis Blues--1979-84 set (with current alternate)

San Jose Sharks--current set (with 1970-74 Golden Seals green throwback as alternate)

Tampa Bay Lightning--current set (but change the home jersey from black to blue)

Toronto Maple Leafs--current alternate jersey as road, 1938-66 blue as home

Winnipeg Jets--1990-96 set (with 1973-77 home jersey as alternate)

Vancouver Canucks--current alternate for home with a white version for road (green jersey with Johnny Canuck logo as new alternate)

Washington Capitals--current set (with original red jersey as alternate)

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Archived