Iranian womens' soccer uniform controversy

aci

TEHRAN, Iran - Iran may not send its girls' soccer team to the Youth Olympics in Singapore next month because of a dispute over the players' Islamic attire, Iranian media reported Thursday.

The deputy head of Iran's physical education department, Marzieh Akbarabadi, was quoted by newspapers, including Khabar Varzeshi, or Sport News, as saying the newly designed dress was "inappropriate."

Read the rest of the MSN.ca article here

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran may not send its girls' soccer team to the Youth Olympics in Singapore next month because of a dispute over the players' Islamic attire, Iranian media reported Thursday.

The deputy head of Iran's physical education department, Marzieh Akbarabadi, was quoted by newspapers, including Khabar Varzeshi, or Sport News, as saying the newly designed dress was "inappropriate."

"The outfit was supposed to be a compromise with soccer governing body FIFA, which has banned traditional hijab headscarves — which protect the modesty of Islamic girls and women — in 2007 for safety reasons and to prevent political or religious statements on the field."

-Riiight.... is that why several Catholic players and coacees have Crossed themselves several times, while on camera?

This whole thing is just racism/discrimination...

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

For once, I agree with you. There is no competitive reason for the players to not be able to wear a full body-covering uniform.

The safety reasons are a joke, and the religious reasons are more of a joke. It's not like it's a sport that requires a helmet, and these girls are trying to wear turbans. At least that kind of argument would make sense.

They should be able to wear whatever they want unless it's directly offensive or legitimately dangerous. I don't foresee players strangling each other with their headscarves any more than they'd strange each other with a ponytail, so that argument is out. And as you said, other players cross themselves on the field, and just about every quote Maradona makes in the media seems to give credit to God... or himself... or somehow both simultaneously...

Now if Iran puts 'Kill the Jews' on their uniforms, I can buy into this kind of argument... til them, it's FIFA being jerks.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Screw Iran how can anyone side with these savages.

How can anyone side with you, without a comma and a question mark?

Let's try this:

Screw! Iran, how can anyone side with these savages?

If Iran wants to play soccer in and against other countries, that means traveling to the 21st century. Get this headscarf noise out of here. Here's a thread where a group is being accused of discrimination for saying, "no, actually you don't have to cover yourself in shame because you're a girl; you may, in fact, expose your bare head and limbs like the rest of the modern world prefers to do." How upside-down is that?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm going to go ahead and postulate that the government forbidding its women from exposing their legs is the one being hard to get along with.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Full body coverage in Singaporean humidity? Gonna need some state-of-the-art fabric to make that work...

Nike is hard at work on its System of Fundamentalist Dress?.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

If Iran wants to play soccer in and against other countries, that means traveling to the 21st century. Get this headscarf noise out of here. Here's a thread where a group is being accused of discrimination for saying, "no, actually you don't have to cover yourself in shame because you're a girl; you may, in fact, expose your bare head and limbs like the rest of the modern world prefers to do." How upside-down is that?

^this

5amlwx.jpg

It's their religion and culture dude... what gives you the right to tell women how to dress?

It's their religion and culture dude... what gives you the right to tell women how to dress?

UN Charter of Human Rights?

This is the 21st Century dude. Gender equality and all that jazz.

"The outfit was supposed to be a compromise with soccer governing body FIFA, which has banned traditional hijab headscarves — which protect the modesty of Islamic girls and women — in 2007 for safety reasons and to prevent political or religious statements on the field."

-Riiight.... is that why several Catholic players and coacees have Crossed themselves several times, while on camera?

This whole thing is just racism/discrimination...

Catholic players crossing themselves isn't the same thing. In Iran's case we're talking about clothing. In the case of Catholic players we're talking about a hand gesture. No one's saying Islamic players can't make hand gestures to signify their religion, but this is the 21st century. The kind of full body dress Iran is making a fuss about is best left in the past where it belongs.

Could you please be more specific about where in the UN Charter of Rights it states that women can't dress as they wish?

I agree about gender equality, which is why I think women should be able to dress the way they want.

And by the way, gender equality is a myth, at least up until this point. Gender equality doesn't exist anywhere.

I dunno, what gives us the right to say that a woman shouldn't be publicly beaten and/or imprisoned for "allowing" or "encouraging" a man to rape her?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I dunno, what gives us the right to say that a woman shouldn't be publicly beaten and/or imprisoned for "allowing" or "encouraging" a man to rape her?

I dunno, what gives us the right to drop bombs and kill over a million people just because we don't like their religion?

Could you please be more specific about where in the UN Charter of Rights it states that women can't dress as they wish?

See my concern here is about the Iranian government forcing their women to cover every inch of their bodies as a form of oppression. Not to mention my problems with all the examples Sodboy13 has listed. Obviously you think it's ok, and that's fine. It's good to know.

I agree about gender equality, which is why I think women should be able to dress the way they want.

And by the way, gender equality is a myth, at least up until this point. Gender equality doesn't exist anywhere.

First of all, this isn't about women dressing how they want. It's about a government forcing their women to dress a certain way as a means of oppression.

Secondly, you don't get to dress how you want when you wish to partake in organized sports. If these women want to play soccer at the international level they have to confirm to the uniform standards FIFA sets out. I can't decide I want to play pro soccer and then argue I have a right to do it while wearing jeans. Or a better example. I'm Jewish. Should I be able to demand the right to play pro sports while wearing a prayer shall?

Finally, you agree with me about gender equality but then say it's a myth? Which is it?

I dunno, what gives us the right to drop bombs and kill over a million people just because we don't like their religion?

Wow. All I'll say is that this has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

See my concern here is about the Iranian government forcing their women to cover every inch of their bodies as a form of oppression. Not to mention my problems with all the examples Sodboy13 has listed. Obviously you think it's ok, and that's fine. It's good to know.

First of all, this isn't about women dressing how they want. It's about a government forcing their women to dress a certain way as a means of oppression.

Secondly, you don't get to dress how you want when you wish to partake in organized sports. If these women want to play soccer at the international level they have to confirm to the uniform standards FIFA sets out. I can't decide I want to play pro soccer and then argue I have a right to do it while wearing jeans. Or a better example. I'm Jewish. Should I be able to demand the right to play pro sports while wearing a prayer shall?

Finally, you agree with me about gender equality but then say it's a myth? Which is it?

"See my concern here is about the Iranian government forcing their women to cover every inch of their bodies as a form of oppression."

That's not true.

And another thing. All countries oppress their citizens in terms of what they can wear. Even I, as a man, would be arrested if I went to a store without any pants on. I'm so oppressed! I can't dress the way I want! The government is out to get me! It's all relative to local culture.

"Secondly, you don't get to dress how you want when you wish to partake in organized sports."

Umm, says who?

In MLB, Ive seen players wear do-rags and winter caps.

In NBA, players can wear face masks and headbands.

In tennis, players can wear baseball caps and headbands.

And dont get me started on the NFL.

I'm Jewish. Should I be able to demand the right to play pro sports while wearing a prayer shall?

As a side note, I don't know if this contributes to your antagonistic view of Islam. But anyway, my Jewish friends have told me that prayer shawls (I think you meant shawls) are typically only used by men during ceremonies and prayers. If it's normal to go to Israel and see boys running around on soccer fields playing soccer while wearing prayer shalls (which I know it's not), then it would be a fairly resonable request, but in your case, its just being difficult.

I agreed that we need to strive for gender equality. I say its a myth because anytime a woman does something that is considered "insulting" (such as wearing a headscarf), then people come out and says that she is oppressed.

Archived