2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

I'm going to wait until after Nick Foles makes the Scum Devils' defense his bitch again before I start with the real trash talking.

and yet it will just be nothing more than false promises coming from a Mildcat and his hopes and dreams crashing when Foles is sacked by Burfict 4 or 5 times

Will that be before or after Vonthug headbutts someone and gets a personal foul?

Probably before :P

Where is Eric? It's not the same without that bet we always have

No, it'll probably be after Foles dodges one of Vonthug's tackles and throws a bomb down the field for a touchdown. He'll be so angry at his inability to beat Sunshine that his anger will take over.

Then Burfict will come back the next play and rip both of "Sunshine's" ( :rolleyes: ) arms out of their sockets, and the refs will march off another 15 yards while the UA training staff picks up the smattered pieces of Nick Foles to put on ice. :P

----

On the topic of rivalries, I like watching most good ones. Most of the classics, as well as the rivalries of consequence and locality (ASU/UA, USC/UCLA, USC/ND, and Texas A&M/Texas. The things I grew up with (USC, A&M) or am involved in (ASU), as well as other interesting rivalries for the local conferences and what not).

But then there is a huge crop of rivalries I could care less about. I'll watch some of the classics (OSU/Michigan, OU/Texas, Bama/Auburn), Texas A&M/Texas (My mom went to A&M), and then most California and Pac-10 rivalries. But most anything else (Boise/Idaho, the thousands of Big 10 trophies, the rivalries in flyover country, every other SEC rivalry, etc)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that rivalry's over now, for all intents and purposes. But I actually did care about it. The Vandals' 11-game winning streak, the way they classlessly ran up the score on Pokey Allen three weeks before he passed away from cancer, the obnoxious jealous fans who pretend that Boise isn't more relevant than they are... that's just the tip of the iceberg for things that made me loathe the Vandals. Very few things made me happier this season than matching their rivalry-record streak and shutting their fans up for good.

Do you mind if I ask what state you actually live in? Are you from Idaho? I'm just trying to figure out how a guy who's been a Boise State fan for such a short time, and isn't an alum or even from Idaho apparently, can a.) be such a hardcore Boise State fan and b.) muster up enough effort to "loathe" the :censored:-ing Idaho Vandals. Is there a more irrelevant team in College Football?

Did you do research etc. to "learn" how to be a Boise State fan? I'm really not trying to give you a hard time. It's a serious question. Such passion for a college football team is usually the result of either growing up in the area and following them or actually attending the college. I just find it interesting.

I've been to the Pacific Northwest numerous times, especially Boise, and I've watched Boise State football for years. Hating the Vandals isn't learned, it just kind of comes naturally to Boise fans, kind of like how being a Red Sox fan comes with the understanding that you hate the Yankees.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Well, that rivalry's over now, for all intents and purposes. But I actually did care about it. The Vandals' 11-game winning streak, the way they classlessly ran up the score on Pokey Allen three weeks before he passed away from cancer, the obnoxious jealous fans who pretend that Boise isn't more relevant than they are... that's just the tip of the iceberg for things that made me loathe the Vandals. Very few things made me happier this season than matching their rivalry-record streak and shutting their fans up for good.

Do you mind if I ask what state you actually live in? Are you from Idaho? I'm just trying to figure out how a guy who's been a Boise State fan for such a short time, and isn't an alum or even from Idaho apparently, can a.) be such a hardcore Boise State fan and b.) muster up enough effort to "loathe" the :censored:-ing Idaho Vandals. Is there a more irrelevant team in College Football?

Did you do research etc. to "learn" how to be a Boise State fan? I'm really not trying to give you a hard time. It's a serious question. Such passion for a college football team is usually the result of either growing up in the area and following them or actually attending the college. I just find it interesting.

I've been to the Pacific Northwest numerous times, especially Boise, and I've watched Boise State football for years. Hating the Vandals isn't learned, it just kind of comes naturally to Boise fans, kind of like how being a Red Sox fan comes with the understanding that you hate the Yankees.

Let me preface this by saying none of this actually matters in the grand scheme of things or in the "real world." We're just talking in the world of "sports fandom." So with that in mind...

How do "natural" Boise State fans feel about you? I ask because if you "chose" Ohio State in the same way you "chose" Boise State, I don't think the "born and bred" Buckeyes fans would take you very seriously. For example, my sister-in-law "decided" to become an Ohio State fan despite the fact that she's from New Jersey. We think it's nice and all but we don't take her very seriously as a fan.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Then Burfict will come back the next play and rip both of "Sunshine's" ( :rolleyes: ) arms out of their sockets, and the refs will march off another 15 yards while the UA training staff picks up the smattered pieces of Nick Foles to put on ice. :P

Don't hate just because you guys :censored:ed up when recruiting him and couldn't land him.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Don't hate just because you guys :censored:ed up when recruiting him and couldn't land him.

He's a Wildcat, we'll hate because he's a Wildcat :P

You'll hate because you missed out on such a great quarterback and you're stuck with Brock Osweiler and Steven Threet.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'm sure the feeling is mutual on the other side about any Arizona State player. :P

Trust me, while we may not be Duke/UNC or Ohio State/Michigan, people don't understand how bitter our rivalry is. It's a very underrated rivalry.

You'll hate because you missed out on such a great quarterback and you're stuck with Brock Osweiler and Steven Threet.

I really don't care who QB's who, as long as it's a good game and the Sun Devils come out on top. In all honesty I like Foles as a person he's a standup individual who has his head on straight. Could we have got him, maybe, but I really don't care about that because it's the past, but since this is rivalry week and he's a Wildcat, and hope he gets killed out there with every other Wildcat. After the game, go out and have a drink with the rest of my Arizona friends, trash on our teams and call it a year, next year it'll be the same thing. Because that's the fun of the hatred that is Arizona-Arizona State! Trust me I hate Arizona with a passion, every year we protect our A's on our mountains, and every year we spew hatred.

I'm sure the feeling is mutual on the other side about any Arizona State player. :P

Trust me, while we may not be Duke/UNC or Ohio State/Michigan, people don't understand how bitter our rivalry is. It's a very underrated rivalry.

Bitter? Is there some sort of historical context behind this hate outside of 'RAWR! They're our rival and we hate them! RAWR!'

every year we protect our A's on our mountains

We do. You guys don't.

Bitter? Is there some sort of historical context behind this hate outside of 'RAWR! They're our rival and we hate them! RAWR!'

Nope, that's pretty much it. It may have something to do with the fact that back in the days of the territory, Tucson got the university and Phoenix got the insane asylum, which now has a student population of over 70,000.

Nope, that's pretty much it. It may have something to do with the fact that back in the days of the territory, Tucson got the university and Phoenix got the insane asylum, which now has a student population of over 70,000.

Or the fact we got a great school, and they were forced to live in a dump that is called UofA

Yeah, having to commute between the different parts of the university is so nice. Everyone down here in Tucson hates having everything close by.

Dude, I've been to ASU plenty of times. Y'all have got nothing on our campus.

Oh. Well, I read on Wikipedia that has been (or still is) resentment between Phoenix and Tucson. I wonder if that resentment still lives on to this day.

I know this is in basketball, but the hatred also comes from how after Steve Kerr's father died in a suicide bombing in Lebanon in 1985, ASU played Arizona in basketball. Some of the Sun Devils fans proceeded to wear turbins to mock him.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Yeah, having to commute between the different parts of the university is so nice. Everyone down here in Tucson hates having everything close by.

Dude, I've been to ASU plenty of times. Y'all have got nothing on our campus.

lol, funny you mention Arizona, what exactly is there to do other than to get drunk and eat mexican food all day? I'll rather commute

I know this is in basketball, but the hatred also comes from how after Steve Kerr's father died in a suicide bombing in Lebanon in 1985, ASU played Arizona in basketball. Some of the Sun Devils fans proceeded to wear turbins to mock him.

No, what actually happened is that some of the fans chanted "PLO" and "Where's your dad, Steve?" However, Kerr himself said it was only a few students, and trust me, the rivalry is much older than that. ASU's just bitter because they'll never reach the heights we have in basketball. I mean, sure, they've been to the Rose Bowl (a grand total of TWO TIMES! BFD!) and we haven't, but neither of us have won a football national championship. The same can't be said for basketball, and in baseball, the programs have similar histories, since Arizona and ASU have three and five national championships respectively and are both in the top ten winningest programs of all time. Don't even get me started on softball.

Really, when it comes down to the important sports, Arizona > ASU.

No, what actually happened is that some of the fans chanted "PLO" and "Where's your dad, Steve?" However, Kerr himself said it was only a few students, and trust me, the rivalry is much older than that. ASU's just bitter because they'll never reach the heights we have in basketball. I mean, sure, they've been to the Rose Bowl (a grand total of TWO TIMES! BFD!) and we haven't, but neither of us have won a football national championship. The same can't be said for basketball, and in baseball, the programs have similar histories, since Arizona and ASU have three and five national championships respectively and are both in the top ten winningest programs of all time. Don't even get me started on softball.

Really, when it comes down to the important sports, Arizona > ASU.

Is it really just sports for you? Because it goes way farther than sports. Sports we'll always have, one will play, one will win, one will bitch about why one of us lose. When you go to your respective university like for instance Arizona State, you get a strange odor from those who have been to Tucson just to look at the University that is University of Arizona. The sports are on such a little scale, when you realize how much hate you have towards the respected universities. Besides, it'd be a cold day in hell if my daughter ever wanted to go to UofA, i'd disown her.

Archived