Sochi 2014

raysox

From the artist who brought you this, and this. I now present my concept for the Sochi Winter Olympics. The bid logo used, I think is worlds better than the current. The current is just words, and the bid was just a logo. Both are seen below.

7059.giftbykcq80n6oksx3l1vz339uth.gif

When I first started all I did looked like the bid logo. I found the design inspiration thread in the lounge. Looked through that, and got a rough idea with a cube. I made the cube, looking good. Each face needed something. The Olympic logo was a given. I looked at the geography of Sochi, and the mountain ranges are close to the water, like the whole city is. The left side is mountains reflecting over water. The top face is the snowflake from the bid logo, which is epic.

Sochi1.png

Comments? I might go on and do some concepts for 2018 and on if this goes well.

The cube looks too static and all the parts don't look uniform. Also, you would need to keep the Olympic Rings unmodified.

I like the star logo and the mountains you made. What would it look like if you brought those two together, and dropped the cube idea? Like if you just had the star rising above the mountains and tied it all together.

To me, the cube undermines everything that makes the winter Olympics great: the speed and organic form of the athletes, the grace and the agility of the techniques, the emotion and excitement of competition. None of that is best represented by a static, confined, geometric shape such as the cube.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This just doesn't work well. First of all, the "star" logo wouldn't look like that if it was a real cube. It'd probably be centered along a flat edge, and be skewed a bit. Second, I think that cramming the individual elements on to cube sides really marginalizes their importance to the overall logo. The rings really need to stand on their own, as does any sort of logo. Speaking of logos, you essentially have two separate logos that don't really go well with each other, and each seems to be given the same level of importance. I'd lose one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived