Microchips in NFL game balls?

AJM

As long as they add microchips in helmets to prevent K-State from pulling this crap and not getting called for it...

twist2_si.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

All you need is one of those invisible dog fences buried under the goalline and shock the players every time the player attempts to cross the goalline. That way players will eventually learn to not cross that line so as not to get shocked.

I think they call it the "Cleveland Browns" method.

Oh wait, we're not looking to train dogs?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

All you need is one of those invisible dog fences buried under the goalline and shock the players every time the player attempts to cross the goalline. That way players will eventually learn to not cross that line so as not to get shocked.

I think they call it the "Cleveland Browns" method.

Oh wait, we're not looking to train dogs?

Now that's funny. Well done. :D

BB52Big.jpg

I want the call to be right. That's about all, and whatever gets it done, is fine by me. Unless it involves sweatshops or counterfeit money

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

This is all well and good, And I don't really mind it, but you can't eliminate contoversy from the game. There are still gonna be d*mb*ss holding calls noone understands, and pass interference calls that change games. Don't let anyone tell you you can eliminate all the controversy out of sports, or even that it would be a desirable thing. Sports thrive on the talking point, the argument, you start to eliminate that, and you start to eliminate the passion out of sports.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

This is all well and good, And I don't really mind it, but you can't eliminate contoversy from the game. There are still gonna be d*mb*ss holding calls noone understands, and pass interference calls that change games. Don't let anyone tell you you can eliminate all the controversy out of sports, or even that it would be a desirable thing. Sports thrive on the talking point, the argument, you start to eliminate that, and you start to eliminate the passion out of sports.

Very valid points here. I think I speak for many anti-Yankee fans that a controversial call against them is extremely pleasing. And you may possibly even admit that calls that go for them "just because they're the Yankees" help to keep interest and passion in the game.

If there weren't controversial calls, there wouldn't be shows like Pardon the Interruption or Around the Horn, because no one would be interested in sports-related news. Michael Wilbon, Tony Kornheiser, and Tony Reali would be nobodys. The reason people watch those shows is to hear passionate people make passionate remarks on controversial subjects. Without the passion factor, it's just a couple of guys talking about sports.

Personally, I would lose the passion and love of the game if the Twins lost every game or won every game on plays that didn't have that X-factor that played a part in the win or loss. Whether it be a blown-call or displeasing correct call, it makes the game interesting.

Punch9

What happens if the part of the football that crosses the line isn't where the microchip was...?

Put one chip at each end. It's rare that someone would hold the ball sideways to cross the goal.

I really like the idea and have said for years that they should do something like this. What would be really great is if they could figure out how to get the yellow first down line and the blue line of scrimmage line to appear live on the field in the stadium. Combine those with the chip and there would never be another dispute about first downs or TDs ever again.

Though because they don't have the lines live in stadium yet I think the microchip should only be used to decide if the ball actually crossed the goal line. Stopping the game to accurately spot the ball exactly where it should go after every play would be too time consuming in my imagination.

Roethlisberg still hasn't scored that touchdown, BTW.

Seems they could do something with a laser if you just want a visual representation. If you're talking about something that would use the ball microchip to indicate a first down, wouldn't know how to do that.

I'm all for this idea. People are correct, you can't eliminate the human factor, but you can reduce it as much as possible, and score/no score and ball placement are two of the most important things in football.

In the on-deck circle should be a chipped baseball and sensors to indicate balls, strikes, foul balls and home runs. Something tells me there would be a firestorm of opposition to that. For that matter, you could chip players' spikes and put sensors in the gloves and bases. Keep one ump for tradition's sake and you're done.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Very valid points here. I think I speak for many anti-Yankee fans that a controversial call against them is extremely pleasing. And you may possibly even admit that calls that go for them "just because they're the Yankees" help to keep interest and passion in the game.

If there weren't controversial calls, there wouldn't be shows like Pardon the Interruption or Around the Horn, because no one would be interested in sports-related news. Michael Wilbon, Tony Kornheiser, and Tony Reali would be nobodys. The reason people watch those shows is to hear passionate people make passionate remarks on controversial subjects. Without the passion factor, it's just a couple of guys talking about sports.

Personally, I would lose the passion and love of the game if the Twins lost every game or won every game on plays that didn't have that X-factor that played a part in the win or loss. Whether it be a blown-call or displeasing correct call, it makes the game interesting.

Punch9

And what exactly would the world lose if this was the case? Are you seriously suggesting that a game should keep its flaws so that guys like Wilbon, Kornheiser, and Tony Reali (who I have never heard of until this post) can have jobs? Maybe they could get jobs covering or writing about real news, not about games.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is all well and good, And I don't really mind it, but you can't eliminate contoversy from the game. There are still gonna be d*mb*ss holding calls noone understands, and pass interference calls that change games. Don't let anyone tell you you can eliminate all the controversy out of sports, or even that it would be a desirable thing.

True enough.

I don't really see the point in technology like this. A solution in search of a problem. A bad spot will happen from time to time. But so will a generous spot. The mistakes even out.

Besides, I'd rather see a couple than add even a single minute to an already-bloated NFL game.

Mistakes are part of the game, even from the officials. And yes, even if a bad call costs my Packers the win. If it comes down to one call, you didn't play well enough.

This is all well and good, And I don't really mind it, but you can't eliminate contoversy from the game. There are still gonna be d*mb*ss holding calls noone understands, and pass interference calls that change games. Don't let anyone tell you you can eliminate all the controversy out of sports, or even that it would be a desirable thing.

True enough.

I don't really see the point in technology like this. A solution in search of a problem. A bad spot will happen from time to time. But so will a generous spot. The mistakes even out.

Besides, I'd rather see a couple than add even a single minute to an already-bloated NFL game.

Mistakes are part of the game, even from the officials. And yes, even if a bad call costs my Packers the win. If it comes down to one call, you didn't play well enough.

Then why not adopt a "must win by 8" rule, since then the team that does win by one score didn't deserve to win either? I really disagree with this notion, as well as the notion that this is a solution in search of a problem. Letting one problem (spots) exist simply because you can't fix another problem (bad holding or PI calls) simply doesn't make sense. You can't fix everything, but you should fix what you can (as long as it doesn't impact the game, which this won't.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Frankly, I'm not convinced that it won't impact the games. That's presuming an awful lot, that there won't have to be some sort of review to authenticate the computer spot, that there won't have to be communication between somebody at a screen and the officials on the field. Every time an additional step is added, it slows down the game. And NFL games are plenty slow already.

I'm not opposed to the technology in general - I think soccer balls need to be chipped for crossing the goal line, for example (and I'd even light up the goal like a basketball backboard at the buzzer) - but this looks like a huge intervention for something that's not really such a huge problem. Bad spots happen in both directions, I don't see the need for this. Again, seems like a solution in search of a problem.

It's not a problem because bad spots happen in both directions? That's like saying that you don't mind being punched in the face, as long as you're allowed to punch someone else in the face. While you're both on even ground at the end, you still got punched in the face, which sucks.

It's not a problem because bad spots happen in both directions? That's like saying that you don't mind being punched in the face, as long as you're allowed to punch someone else in the face. While you're both on even ground at the end, you still got punched in the face, which sucks.

No, it's more like I'm not bothered when I bump up against somebody else on the subway and trust they won't be bothered if I bump up against them.

I don't see bad spots as a terribly compelling problem, certainly not sufficiently so to warrant the inevitable break in the game that technological intervention will bring.

Good call on the microchip.

Now if only there was some technology that would prevent too-many-men calls from screwing up championship games....

Archived