Microchips in NFL game balls?

AJM

http://www.wired.com/playbook/2010/08/nfl-considers-ball-tracking-chips-for-accuracy/

NFL is reportedly looking into microchips in game balls in order to improve accuracy and ball placement. Interesting...what does everyone think?

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Genius. I don't think things should be left to chance at the professional level.

The 'human factor' is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Tell that to the guy whose bookie took his thumbs when the Oilers or Sabres lost the Cup.

Stick a microchip in the puck to tell if it crossed the goal line between the pipes. Stick a microchip in a football to tell where and when it crossed the sideline, or to place it accurately after a down. Microchip a baseball and let a computer call balls and strikes.

I want the right call, not the call someone made to make up for the call they blew last week. I want to know the referees aren't influencing the game any more than they have to.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Genius. I don't think things should be left to chance at the professional level.

The 'human factor' is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Tell that to the guy whose bookie took his thumbs when the Oilers or Sabres lost the Cup.

Stick a microchip in the puck to tell if it crossed the goal line between the pipes. Stick a microchip in a football to tell where and when it crossed the sideline, or to place it accurately after a down. Microchip a baseball and let a computer call balls and strikes.

I want the right call, not the call someone made to make up for the call they blew last week. I want to know the referees aren't influencing the game any more than they have to.

1. So the NFL should do this so people don't lose money to bookies through illegal gambling? Talk about one of the stupidest things ever heard.

2. Priceless. What else can the NFL do to make sure you're happy?

On topic; it's not a bad idea as long as we don't end up sitting through numerous delays while the computer figures out where to spot the ball.

BB52Big.jpg

1. So the NFL should do this so people don't lose money to bookies through illegal gambling? Talk about one of the stupidest things ever heard.

On topic; it's not a bad idea as long as we don't end up sitting through numerous delays while the computer figures out where to spot the ball.

1. The bookie comment was clearly in jest. However, fans of a team have a lot riding on games and championships. Everything should be done to ensure that the correct team wins.

2. The NFL (and every other sports organization) has an obligation to its fans to do whatever is financially viable to ensure that that the rules are upheld in the most objective way possible. You actually want blown calls and make up calls?

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

What happens if the part of the football that crosses the line isn't where the microchip was...?

Put one chip at each end. It's rare that someone would hold the ball sideways to cross the goal.

I really like the idea and have said for years that they should do something like this. What would be really great is if they could figure out how to get the yellow first down line and the blue line of scrimmage line to appear live on the field in the stadium. Combine those with the chip and there would never be another dispute about first downs or TDs ever again.

Though because they don't have the lines live in stadium yet I think the microchip should only be used to decide if the ball actually crossed the goal line. Stopping the game to accurately spot the ball exactly where it should go after every play would be too time consuming in my imagination.

Roethlisberg still hasn't scored that touchdown, BTW.

PvO6ZWJ.png

To the ones who oppose: How would it harm the game of football? It would make sure every call is made correctly so no one is upset over faulty officiating. It wouldn't slow the game down because referees could wear headsets...

*duck and cover*

.......that are wired to the review booth up near the press box. The boothreviewers could relay the information down to the field, and the referees could uphold or reverse the call during their on-field meeting.

Just what I think.

What happens if the part of the football that crosses the line isn't where the microchip was...?

Put one chip at each end. It's rare that someone would hold the ball sideways to cross the goal.

I really like the idea and have said for years that they should do something like this. What would be really great is if they could figure out how to get the yellow first down line and the blue line of scrimmage line to appear live on the field in the stadium. Combine those with the chip and there would never be another dispute about first downs or TDs ever again.

Though because they don't have the lines live in stadium yet I think the microchip should only be used to decide if the ball actually crossed the goal line. Stopping the game to accurately spot the ball exactly where it should go after every play would be too time consuming in my imagination.

But it could happen. I'd hate to see someone lose on an overturned call due to the chip because he held it sideways when he really scored.

6fQjS3M.png

I'm sure you can place a matrix of 4 microchips or so in the football, and then have computer software be able to figure out if any part of the entire outer surface of the ball crossed the plane.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

1. The bookie comment was clearly in jest. However, fans of a team have a lot riding on games and championships. Everything should be done to ensure that the correct team wins.

2. The NFL (and every other sports organization) has an obligation to its fans to do whatever is financially viable to ensure that that the rules are upheld in the most objective way possible. You actually want blown calls and make up calls?

1. No, they really don't. In fact, other than money that they technically aren't supposed to be betting anyway, what exactly do fans have "riding on games and championships?"

2. As a matter of fact, yes. While you may think the "human factor" is stupid, I think it adds something to the game. (Although you clearly missed the part where I said I was fine with these chips as long as it didn't result in a bunch of delays.)

BB52Big.jpg

The only things that the human factor add to football are needless confusion, controversy, bickering, and bad publicity for the league. The last thing the NFL needs is another Super Bowl XL (which is still hotly debated and was so poorly-officiated that the lead ref eventually apologized).

I'm all for the microchip idea. It wouldn't be perfect (nothing is) but that system would drastically cut down on the number of blown calls per season, and that should be the NFL's goal (and any other league's goal, but that's another story).

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1. No, they really don't. In fact, other than money that they technically aren't supposed to be betting anyway, what exactly do fans have "riding on games and championships?"

2. As a matter of fact, yes. While you may think the "human factor" is stupid, I think it adds something to the game. (Although you clearly missed the part where I said I was fine with these chips as long as it didn't result in a bunch of delays.)

1. what about local businesses (sports bars) that gain / lose a significant amount of business as a team does well and / or advances in the playoffs? I'd wager that the on-field success of an NFL franchise has at least a noticeable impact on the local economy, even if not necessarily on an individual person (save for the gambling aspect, as you correctly pointed out (though of course there are places where gambling is totally legal and acceptable.))

2. I agree with him that the "human factor" is stupid. Once athletes started making millions of dollars, teams started being worth billions, it becomes a little too big of a deal to just have an "oh those nutty refs got us again" moment. A team misses a playoff spot by a blown call, and that call now translates into millions in lost revenue. The league (well, all major leagues) should IMO do whatever is reasonable to ensure that the proper calls are made.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1. what about local businesses (sports bars) that gain / lose a significant amount of business as a team does well and / or advances in the playoffs? I'd wager that the on-field success of an NFL franchise has at least a noticeable impact on the local economy, even if not necessarily on an individual person (save for the gambling aspect, as you correctly pointed out (though of course there are places where gambling is totally legal and acceptable.))

2. I agree with him that the "human factor" is stupid. Once athletes started making millions of dollars, teams started being worth billions, it becomes a little too big of a deal to just have an "oh those nutty refs got us again" moment. A team misses a playoff spot by a blown call, and that call now translates into millions in lost revenue. The league (well, all major leagues) should IMO do whatever is reasonable to ensure that the proper calls are made.

1. Not anywhere near as much as you'd think. Sure, maybe Vet's Sports Bar and Man Rules Emporium will lose money because it's across the street from the Eagles stadium but Infrared's Sports Bar and Opium Den 22 blocks away will pick up the difference because everyone will be there this Saturday instead of over at the game. Impact on the local economy? Zero. Read on to see why...

2. No, it really doesn't. The revenue wasn't lost at all. It was just redirected. The money will still be spent in the "local economy." It just won't be spent at the bar across from the stadium. Actually, the whole "sports teams help the local economy" thing seems to be pretty much a myth. The teams really don't bring in "new" money as much as they simply redirect "existing" money. In other words, money that is being spent at the sports bar by the stadium is just money that would have been spent at a different bar elsewhere. So no, it really doesn't cost the local economy all that much if the Eagles miss the playoffs.

Believe it or not, the only sport that seems to have a significant impact on the "local economy" is NASCAR. The reason being that NASCAR easily brings in the most "traveling" spectators. Philly fans are going to spend their disposable income somewhere. As long as it's in Philly it doesn't really matter if it's at an Eagles game or at the local mall. The money spent by NASCAR fans is in fact "new money" infused into the local economy as opposed to "redirected" money that local sports franchises generate. The percentage of "new money" generated by a local sports franchise is nowhere near what you'd think.

At least that's what it says in the books I've read on the economic impact of sports franchises.

BB52Big.jpg

But it could happen. I'd hate to see someone lose on an overturned call due to the chip because he held it sideways when he really scored.

I'm sure the inventors thought of that just as quickly as you did. :P

http://www.wired.com/playbook/2010/08/nfl-considers-ball-tracking-chips-for-accuracy/

NFL is reportedly looking into microchips in game balls in order to improve accuracy and ball placement. Interesting...what does everyone think?

They should look into it. If we can place men on the Moon, we should be able to correctly spot the ball after the whistle is blown. Tennis and cricket have Hawk-Eye so triangulation via cameras is easy for the NFL around the goal line, but the NFL will have 12 men around the ball on many situations for that when tennis may have just one player.

Apparently, the system may work like this (Credit: rfidnews.org):

Magnetic Field

* Thin cables are installed in the turf of the penalty area and behind the goal line. Each cable has a unique amount of electricity running through it, generating a unique magnetic field.

Sensors

*A sensor in the ball is able to measure these magnetic fields as soon as the ball comes close to them. A transmitter in the ball sends the measured and encrypted data to a couple of receive antennas.

Receivers

*The receivers are located behind the goal and forward the encrypted the encrypted data to a computer which determines when the ball has passed the goal line.

Referee

*When the computer determines the ball has crossed the goal line, the referee is being informed on his watch via an encrypted radio signal.

The whole process?measurement of the magnetic field up to the notification of the referee?takes place in a split second.

And infrared is correct on the economic impact on specific games. NASCAR races are primarily "destination" locations, especially since many fans use RVs and are there the entire week.

If we can place men on the Moon, we should be able to correctly spot the ball after the whistle is blown.

You know, it really is hard to argue this.

My only fear is that Fox would make the ball glow and streak. Yes, lol NHL, but superimposing a huge freaking arrow that says "THIS IS THE WAY THE OFFENSE IS MOVING AND THIS IS HOW FAR THEY HAVE TO GO TO THE BIG YELLOW LINE--SEE THE BIG YELLOW LINE?--STARTING FROM THE BIG BLUE LINE" isn't all that removed from having to draw attention to the black circle on the white background. NFL telecasts are asymptotically approaching just watching someone play Madden.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived