Back British Basketball

njmeadowlanders

London is hosting the 2012 Summer Olympics but doesn't get an automatic bid to the mens basketball tournament. There's a campaign "Back British Basketball" with an awesome logo. I love how they incorporated the union jack into the basketball seams.

Nothing I'd ever want a team to actually use or anything, but it's well done don't ya think? Well, except for the "blood" at the bottom which I think doesn't need to be there.

http://www.backbritishbasketball.com/

tshirt_logo_zoom2.jpg

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I think it's unfair to disallow Britain an automaticbid in the Olympics. But I'm sure they won't be able to compete with USA or any other mid-level international basketball team. Britain has to prove themselves before I believe they can compete with the bad guys (USA).

Did the IOC change the rules? I thought the host country qualified a team or athlete in every sport. I remember back in 2004 Greece with the backing of Peter Angelos had a baseball team.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Did the IOC change the rules? I thought the host country qualified a team or athlete in every sport. I remember back in 2004 Greece with the backing of Peter Angelos had a baseball team.

FIBA says that they won't allows Britain a team until they prove to be competitive. They only started the current British Basketball Federation in 2005, after all.

I like the concept, but the mix of colour and ink splotch style seems a little off. Seems like nonsense not to let a host country compete in a sport, that is one of the normal perks of being the host.

Oh, OK, I see. They're 58th in the world. Damn, UK, what is up with that? Kuwait is ranked higher. :blink:

I like the concept, but the mix of colour and ink splotch style seems a little off. Seems like nonsense not to let a host country compete in a sport, that is one of the normal perks of being the host.

Oh, OK, I see. They're 58th in the world. Damn, UK, what is up with that? Kuwait is ranked higher. :blink:

Well where is the USA in mens field hockey and team handball when we hosted. Yea I know it is a different governing body. But this seems like a new change.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

And freakin' CAPE VERDE, with only 500,000 people.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Whilst the level of play here in the UK is higher than ever, sadly the popularity of the sport peaked in the mid-late 90s, and there's not enough fresh blood coming through. Add that to the fact that there isn't a British basketball association, rather an English one, a Welsh one and a Scottish one all working independantly and the future doesn't look great.

Nice logo, though...

I cannot agree. That's a terrible logo.

It's a very good design, but the rendering is flat-out awful.

tshirt_logo_zoom2.jpg

None of the elements match - the basketball is simple and bold, the Crown is intricately detailed and the Sovereign's Sceptre is so abstracted as to be almost unrecognizable. It looks like a clip-art mashup.

The Union Flag/seam bit is very nice. But why is the logo bleeding? Is that bloodsplatter or gunshot residue on the wall behind it?

The splatter is meant to represent paint, as if the logo had been freshly spraypainted on a wall. It's supposed to signify the grassroots movement over here.

Okay, I get it.

That makes the rendering even worse, since there's no visual logic to having the splatter only on the bottom of the logo. If that's what they were going for, they should have ringed the entire logo with splatter.

istockphoto_200484-spray-paint-drip.jpg

Good idea, but terrible execution. Amateurish.

The splatter is meant to represent paint, as if the logo had been freshly spraypainted on a wall. It's supposed to signify the grassroots movement over here.

Okay, I get it.

That makes the rendering even worse, since there's no visual logic to having the splatter only on the bottom of the logo. If that's what they were going for, they should have ringed the entire logo with splatter.

istockphoto_200484-spray-paint-drip.jpg

Good idea, but terrible execution. Amateurish.

To be honest, had I not been told by one of the guys at BBB, I'd never have guessed...

Archived