Name the UFL Virginia Team

kmccarthy27

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a decent mark. That said, it is missing the extra something that would make it a truly outstanding sports logo.

For starters, I can't help but think that the logo would have been helped immensely by rendering the destroyer at a 3/4 angle. It would have made for a more dynamic mark. As it is, the logo seems "flat" and lacks visual "energy".

It also seems to me that the "V-wave" device is bit over-the-top. There's a "fussy" formality to the manner in which the breaking waves are rendered and integrated into the "V" portion of the device. They appear more like curlicues than waves, which makes for a strange, almost "feminine" affectation in a logo that is part of a military-inspired team identity.

To my mind, the best part of the overall package is the color scheme.

Once again, the folks at Purepartner - if they're still the UFL's primary branding partner - have missed the mark on creating a top-notch pro sports identity package. Clearly, there are aspects of the design that indicate that trained professionals were involved in its creation. Still, one can't help but think that the UFL's visual team identities would be far better realized if the league had secured the services of branding/graphic design firms that specialize in creating logos for sports franchises on a regular basis, i.e. Studio Simon, Joe Bosack Design Company, Plan B, etc.

Looks like it's the Virginia Destroyers

Facebook Link

72266_162691033771286_162209947152728_303091_4372292_n.jpg

That's a pretty sick looking logo. It seems as though the UFL's design team, at least in the logo department, is getting their act together.

555061.jpg

These are the helmet stripes that are under consideration.

555071.jpg

Of course, the alternate logo.

I love, love, LOVE the idea of a torpedo bearing football laces as a secondary brand image. I'd prefer that over the ship-related helmet stripe. There's already a ship image in the primary logo; using the torpedo on the helmet stripe brings more depth to the overall package.

Maybe it's not to NFL standards, but the UFL is doing a great job of brand development.

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly an improvement over how the league began making logos, that's for sure.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

If the primary logo with the ship is used on the helmet, I think the football-laced torpedoo needs to be the stripe. If they go with the secondary "V" logo on the helmet, then the ship should be the stripe.

Interesting that they're using a navy blue and maroon. Maybe a nod to UVA and Va Tech?

• 6 months later...

Archived