Name the UFL Virginia Team

kmccarthy27

Here is the link to name the new UFL teal that is going into the Norfolk area.

http://www.fanhouse.com/2010/09/20/ufl-virginia-name-your-team-form/

The choices are:

Destroyers

Tritons

Navigators

Commanders

or the Name of Your Choice

The interesting thing is the team is also asking if they team should use the Hampton Roads or Virginia name as well.

Kevin

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I opted to go the write-in route and suggested Virginia Ironclads.

Ironclads acknowledges the United States Navy's longstanding presence in the area and pays homage to the crucial role that the Commonwealth of Virginia and Hampton Roads region played in the Civil War. What's more, it is - to the best of my knowledge - completely unique in the world of professional sports. Further, as football equipment (helmets, shoulder pads, etc.) serves as a sort of "armor" for players, the name "Ironclads" is rather symbolic.

Of the league's pre-selected candidates, Destroyers strikes me as being the best. I'd probably opt to pair that with the Norfolk place-name - Norfolk Destroyers. That said, you could get away with Virginia Destroyers, as well.

Tritons is also solid, though it seems to me that it would pair-up best with the place-name Tidewater, as in Tidewater Tritons. The alliteration is appealing. It doesn't sound as strong as Virginia Tritons and if you're going to go the sea-god route with Norfolk as a place-name, you should simply resurrect the Norfolk Neptunes.

Commanders and Navigators both strike me as being uninspired nicknames. Hampton Roads is a mouthful as a place-name.

Yeah... Virginia Ironclads, hands down. I'd go with a color palette of Navy, Metallic Steel/Pewter, Red and White.

Hmmm...

Hampton Roads Name of Your Choice doesn't really strike me as a professional sounding name.

May as well have it play off the navy/shipbuilding link to the area. Nothing says minor league football like "Destroyers" does, so they should go with that.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Hmm...I never thought of Commanders as a team name, its a pretty badass name, i would definitely choose it.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Norfolk's the major US Navy base, but our destroyers are built in Mississippi and Maine. Maybe a tribute to the USS Wisconsin would be in order?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I like Commanders, too. But the alliteration probably makes the most sense here. Norfolk Navigators would probably be the best name in that league, which isn't saying a lot...but still.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I like Commanders, too. But the alliteration probably makes the most sense here. Norfolk Navigators would probably be the best name in that league, which isn't saying a lot...but still.

You want Commanders and you want alliteration? Here you are: Commonwealth Commanders

I know there are 4 Commonwealths, but if they grab the name first as a regional title, nobody else will try to take it as well. People will know where they're from.

• 2 weeks later...

Hands down, Virginia Destroyers is the best of the three finalists. It ties-in to the United States Navy's longtime presence in the Hampton Roads region, while also being a name that suits the aggressive nature of the sport of football.

Virginia Tritons isn't bad, but if you're going to go the sea-god route in this market, you'd be better served resurrecting the traditional Norfolk Neptunes name.

Virginia Navigators doesn't lend itself to the smash-mouth sport of football. As a baseball team name? Maybe. Football? No.

Bottom line? Virginia Ironclads would have been better than any of these identities.

Archived