Color Schemes and Cities

DustDevil61

New Orleans:

Purple (Hornets; VooDoo; Brass; Mardi Gras holiday)

Blue (Hornets; Breakers; UNO; Tulane)

Green (Tulane; Jazz*; Mardi Gras holiday)

Gold (Saints; Hornets; LSU**; Brass; Mardi Gras holiday)

* - Let's not start, guys; I was only referring to the Jazz in reference to New Orleans' sports history, not to reignite the relocation debate.

** - I know LSU is in Baton Rouge, but I can almost assure you that there are more LSU fans in New Orleans than there are in Baton Rouge.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I posted this in a thread a long time ago (can't remember which thread), but this is one of the things I really liked about Seattle professional sports as a kid. All 3 major professional teams shared a color with the other two.

Blue+Gold = Mariners

Gold+Green = Sonics

Green+Blue = Seahawks

CCSLC Signature.jpg

My goal was to give each city something distinctive enough that even if you weren't familiar with a certain sport, you'd could still deduct where the teams were from by their uniforms. Here's the guidelines I laid out for myself:

-No more than three colors (plus white) per city, but limited to two or one wherever possible.

-No duplication except in cases where two cities may be using the same swatch, but with different primaries.

-The first color listed is the primary, but the other colors aren't necessarily listed in order of how prominent they'd be on the uniforms.

Arizona/Phoenix: Brick Red, Copper, Turquoise The only one of the list where I added a color that's not currently used by any of the area's teams (unless you count the Rattlers), but with Arizona's teams representing most of the southwest, I thought it best to give them a color swatch that was quintessentially southwestern.

Anaheim: Orange & White Anaheim is in Orange County. I thought about using red, but I already used Red & White for Detroit and one of their teams. Presumably, the Clippers would be using this as well.

Atlanta: Navy & Red The Braves are probably the only team in Atlanta that doesn't have to rely on northern transplants and traveling fans for sustenance. It helps that the Hawks now use these colors as well.

Baltimore: Purple & Orange. Ravens & O's. I thought about just using the colors of Maryland's flag (red, yellow & black) but that was too similar to what I chose for a couple other cities.

Boston/New England: Kelly Green & White Historically, the Celtics are New England's most successful team. Presumably, to make this work for the Red Sox, they'd be allowed to keep red as a secondary color while switching to their beloved green gear full time. I decided not to worry about the possibility of Hartford returning to the NHL... for now.

Buffalo: Navy & Nickel Both the Bills and Sabers use navy as their primary. Nickel made sense as the secondary since Buffalo was known as Nickel City back when there was a picture of a buffalo on American nickels.

Calgary: Red & Athletic Gold: Calgary only has one team in the Big 4, so this was rather easy.

Carolina/Charlotte/Raleigh: Electric Blue, Black & Silver The Panthers have one of the most unique color swatches in the sports world. It wouldn't make sense not to use it here.

Chicago: Black & Red Already used by the Bulls and Blackhawks. The Bears use a dark navy and their orange has a reddish tint, so it wouldn't be too jarring of a switch. Presumably, the White Sox would emphasize black (or use what they do now) and the Cubs would emphasize red.

Cincinnati: Red & Black I figured if I could get away with Denver and New York using the same colors on the basis that Denver would be mostly orange and New York mostly royal, that I could double up on the colors I also gave to Chicago. Too bad I couldn't get away with using the Bengals colors on the Reds.

Cleveland: Brown & Orange One of my easier choices. And with a team called the Browns, it wouldn't make sense for Cleveland to use any other color.

Dallas: Navy & Metallic Blue Essentially what the Cowboys wore in the 70s, but presumably with matching helmets.

Denver/Colorado: Orange & Royal The Broncos never looked better than they did in their Orange Crush days. In this scenario, I see them keeping their current look, but using the orange jerseys full time while tweaking the blue.

Detroit: Red & White Another case where I had to account for one of the teams' nickname. Sadly, the Wings are the only positive attention Detroit gets from the media nowadays.

Edmonton: Navy & Copper: With the Eskimos and old Oilers colors already used, this was my only option. Fortunately, the copper alludes to Edmonton's role in the oil industry.

Houston: Navy & Orange Tequila sunrise optional. It was either this or the old Oilers colors, but I decided on the old Stros package since it seemed more appropriate for teams from "Space City."

Indiana: Royal & Athletic Gold Basically a combination of the Colts blue and Pacers gold.

Kansas City: Royal & White I originally had them using the Chiefs colors, but when I decided to include Canadian cities, I needed them for Calgary. The Royals may be lame but this allows them to keep some of the classiest uniforms in baseball.

Los Angeles: Purple & Athletic Gold The Lakers are LA's flagship team and the Kings have never looked better than they did in those colors.

Miami: Aqua & Orange The Dolphins own Aqua in the sports world and it's not much different from teal, which has been used by many teams.

Milwaukee/Green Bay: Navy, Forest Green & Old Gold The Packers and Brewers have both used something like this in the past. I chose old gold because it's halfway between the Packers athletic gold and the Brewers metallic gold.

Minnesota: Kelly Green, Athletic Gold & Black I'd already given the Vikings colors to LA, and I always loved the old North Stars identity. It also give Minnesota one of the most unique swatches in this project.

Montreal: Red & Royal In terms of color consistency, Montreal is Canada's Pittsburgh.

New Jersey: Red & Forest Green With the Nets on their way out and the Devils combo already in use, it only made sense to have the Garden State revert back to the Devils' old swatch.

New Orleans: Purple, Gold & Green How could you not use the Mardi Gras colors here?

New York (Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island): Midnight Blue & White Is there really a choice here other than to use the Yankees colors?

New York (Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island): Royal & Orange The Mets/Isles history with these colors trumped the fact that the Nets/Knights would basically be inheriting the Knicks' now-old colors.

Oakland: Silver & Black One of the easiest choices on the list for obvious reasons.

Ottawa: Red, Black & Vegas Gold: The Senators colors. The gold is necessary to distinguish Ottawa from Cincinnati and Chicago.

Pittsburgh: Black & Gold See Oakland.

Philadelphia: Midnight Green & Silver I could have just as easily gone with the Flyers colors, but the Iggles get more love in Phily.

Portland: Forest Green & Athletic Gold: The Timbers haven't even began play and they're already more popular than the Blazers, whose colors are comparatively boring.

San Diego: Powder Blue & Gold The ridiculous popularity of the Chargers alts and the throwbacks they're based on necessitates this.

San Francisco: Scarlet & Vegas Gold I could've just as easily gone with the Giants colors, but the Niners colors contrasted better with Oakland.

San Jose/Bay Area: Teal & White I chose teal & white instead of an outright use of the current Sharks colors because they also would presumably be used by teams that are supposed to appeal to the entire region (like the Warriors) instead of showing an allegance to San Francisco or Oakland. Aside from being the color the Sharks are known for, teal is the only "neutral" color in the bunch.

Seattle: Pacific Blue & Lime Green The Seahawks have one of the most unique swatches in all of sports and the Mariners unis would look just as good, if not better in this.

St. Louis: Red, Navy & Gold Basically what the Cardinals use. Also the colors of the city flag.

Tampa Bay: Creamsicle Orange & Red I like the Bucs current look better than the throwbacks, but the throwback colors are much more "civic minded" (opposed to the pewter which is more "nickname/identity minded) and therefore a better fit across the board.

Toronto: Oxford Blue & Cambridge Blue It was either this or the Leafs colors, but this allowed me to use more unique shades of blue.

Vancouver: Black & Orange It was either this or navy & kelly green, but the latter is very similar to Seattle.

Washington DC: Burgundy & Old Gold Red & blue is boring and the Redskins "spear" throwbacks is the best a team from DC has ever looked. It doesn't hurt that they're by far the most popular team in the district.

Miami,

I think it should be Orange White and Light Blue.

Orange for the Sunsets, White for the Light (and color everyone seems to wear in Miami) and Carolina Panthers Light Blue for the Seas.

If not blue, then a sport gold or Kelly Green for the Palm Trees.

Orange also works for those Orange Outs the Fins and Cane's do sometimes.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Indianapolis - colts blue, white, Pacer blue, pacer gold (that was easy). . . i always thought green and gold would work very well for an Indiana based team. reminds me of corn fields

Orlando - light blue, white, black. . . orange would be an easy pick here but i would still like to see it used on a team. orange and blue.

I don't need any more reminders about all these daggone corn fields around here. I'll pass, thanks.

As for Indianapolis, yeah I can definitely see the blue and white, but um...what about that teeny tiny little red dot on the Indy city flag that denotes the "Circle" in the Circle City? ^_^

Actually, since I've been stuck out here in the Indiana nothingness, I've been a bit curious as to what the Colts might look like if they went and adopted the same colors as the Pacers--at which point both teams' colors would also match the Indiana state flag--perhaps a bit of a brighter blue so as not to look straight navy, though? (Of course, I've also long thought that the Colts' name would sound better as the Indiana Colts--but that's another topic for another time.)

lol, if you leave the Indy city limits corn and race tracks is about the only thing you're going to find! i cant wait to get back to Orlando

i wouldnt want to see the Colts in blue/gold. if they were a brand new team starting in Indy, then yea that might work but theres just way too much equity in that blue and white now.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Indianapolis - colts blue, white, Pacer blue, pacer gold (that was easy). . . i always thought green and gold would work very well for an Indiana based team. reminds me of corn fields

Orlando - light blue, white, black. . . orange would be an easy pick here but i would still like to see it used on a team. orange and blue.

I don't need any more reminders about all these daggone corn fields around here. I'll pass, thanks.

As for Indianapolis, yeah I can definitely see the blue and white, but um...what about that teeny tiny little red dot on the Indy city flag that denotes the "Circle" in the Circle City? ^_^

Actually, since I've been stuck out here in the Indiana nothingness, I've been a bit curious as to what the Colts might look like if they went and adopted the same colors as the Pacers--at which point both teams' colors would also match the Indiana state flag--perhaps a bit of a brighter blue so as not to look straight navy, though? (Of course, I've also long thought that the Colts' name would sound better as the Indiana Colts--but that's another topic for another time.)

lol, if you leave the Indy city limits corn and race tracks is about the only thing you're going to find! i cant wait to get back to Orlando

i wouldnt want to see the Colts in blue/gold. if they were a brand new team starting in Indy, then yea that might work but theres just way too much equity in that blue and white now.

Yea, you really have to be from there (like me) to find any reason to like the flatness and cornfields prevalent in most of the state. I wish the Irsays had changed the team name shortly after moving to Indy, but I think the old man really loved the Colts. Now, that moment has long since passed for such a change.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Miami,

I think it should be Orange White and Light Blue.

Orange for the Sunsets, White for the Light (and color everyone seems to wear in Miami) and Carolina Panthers Light Blue for the Seas.

If not blue, then a sport gold or Kelly Green for the Palm Trees.

Orange also works for those Orange Outs the Fins and Cane's do sometimes.

Orange and green are the city of Miami's colors:

us-fl-mm.gif

1997 | 2003

My goal was to give each city something distinctive enough that even if you weren't familiar with a certain sport, you'd could still deduct where the teams were from by their uniforms. Here's the guidelines I laid out for myself:

-No more than three colors (plus white) per city, but limited to two or one wherever possible.

-No duplication except in cases where two cities may be using the same swatch, but with different primaries.

-The first color listed is the primary, but the other colors aren't necessarily listed in order of how prominent they'd be on the uniforms.

Arizona/Phoenix: Brick Red, Copper, Turquoise The only one of the list where I added a color that's not currently used by any of the area's teams (unless you count the Rattlers), but with Arizona's teams representing most of the southwest, I thought it best to give them a color swatch that was quintessentially southwestern.

Anaheim: Orange & White Anaheim is in Orange County. I thought about using red, but I already used Red & White for Detroit and one of their teams. Presumably, the Clippers would be using this as well.

Atlanta: Navy & Red The Braves are probably the only team in Atlanta that doesn't have to rely on northern transplants and traveling fans for sustenance. It helps that the Hawks now use these colors as well.

Baltimore: Purple & Orange. Ravens & O's. I thought about just using the colors of Maryland's flag (red, yellow & black) but that was too similar to what I chose for a couple other cities.

Boston/New England: Kelly Green & White Historically, the Celtics are New England's most successful team. Presumably, to make this work for the Red Sox, they'd be allowed to keep red as a secondary color while switching to their beloved green gear full time. I decided not to worry about the possibility of Hartford returning to the NHL... for now.

Buffalo: Navy & Nickel Both the Bills and Sabers use navy as their primary. Nickel made sense as the secondary since Buffalo was known as Nickel City back when there was a picture of a buffalo on American nickels.

Calgary: Red & Athletic Gold: Calgary only has one team in the Big 4, so this was rather easy.

Carolina/Charlotte/Raleigh: Electric Blue, Black & Silver The Panthers have one of the most unique color swatches in the sports world. It wouldn't make sense not to use it here.

Chicago: Black & Red Already used by the Bulls and Blackhawks. The Bears use a dark navy and their orange has a reddish tint, so it wouldn't be too jarring of a switch. Presumably, the White Sox would emphasize black (or use what they do now) and the Cubs would emphasize red.

Cincinnati: Red & Black I figured if I could get away with Denver and New York using the same colors on the basis that Denver would be mostly orange and New York mostly royal, that I could double up on the colors I also gave to Chicago. Too bad I couldn't get away with using the Bengals colors on the Reds.

Cleveland: Brown & Orange One of my easier choices. And with a team called the Browns, it wouldn't make sense for Cleveland to use any other color.

Dallas: Navy & Metallic Blue Essentially what the Cowboys wore in the 70s, but presumably with matching helmets.

Denver/Colorado: Orange & Royal The Broncos never looked better than they did in their Orange Crush days. In this scenario, I see them keeping their current look, but using the orange jerseys full time while tweaking the blue.

Detroit: Red & White Another case where I had to account for one of the teams' nickname. Sadly, the Wings are the only positive attention Detroit gets from the media nowadays.

Edmonton: Navy & Copper: With the Eskimos and old Oilers colors already used, this was my only option. Fortunately, the copper alludes to Edmonton's role in the oil industry.

Houston: Navy & Orange Tequila sunrise optional. It was either this or the old Oilers colors, but I decided on the old Stros package since it seemed more appropriate for teams from "Space City."

Indiana: Royal & Athletic Gold Basically a combination of the Colts blue and Pacers gold.

Kansas City: Royal & White I originally had them using the Chiefs colors, but when I decided to include Canadian cities, I needed them for Calgary. The Royals may be lame but this allows them to keep some of the classiest uniforms in baseball.

Los Angeles: Purple & Athletic Gold The Lakers are LA's flagship team and the Kings have never looked better than they did in those colors.

Miami: Aqua & Orange The Dolphins own Aqua in the sports world and it's not much different from teal, which has been used by many teams.

Milwaukee/Green Bay: Navy, Forest Green & Old Gold The Packers and Brewers have both used something like this in the past. I chose old gold because it's halfway between the Packers athletic gold and the Brewers metallic gold.

Minnesota: Kelly Green, Athletic Gold & Black I'd already given the Vikings colors to LA, and I always loved the old North Stars identity. It also give Minnesota one of the most unique swatches in this project.

Montreal: Red & Royal In terms of color consistency, Montreal is Canada's Pittsburgh.

New Jersey: Red & Forest Green With the Nets on their way out and the Devils combo already in use, it only made sense to have the Garden State revert back to the Devils' old swatch.

New Orleans: Purple, Gold & Green How could you not use the Mardi Gras colors here?

New York (Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island): Midnight Blue & White Is there really a choice here other than to use the Yankees colors?

New York (Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island): Royal & Orange The Mets/Isles history with these colors trumped the fact that the Nets/Knights would basically be inheriting the Knicks' now-old colors.

Oakland: Silver & Black One of the easiest choices on the list for obvious reasons.

Ottawa: Red, Black & Vegas Gold: The Senators colors. The gold is necessary to distinguish Ottawa from Cincinnati and Chicago.

Pittsburgh: Black & Gold See Oakland.

Philadelphia: Midnight Green & Silver I could have just as easily gone with the Flyers colors, but the Iggles get more love in Phily.

Portland: Forest Green & Athletic Gold: The Timbers haven't even began play and they're already more popular than the Blazers, whose colors are comparatively boring.

San Diego: Powder Blue & Gold The ridiculous popularity of the Chargers alts and the throwbacks they're based on necessitates this.

San Francisco: Scarlet & Vegas Gold I could've just as easily gone with the Giants colors, but the Niners colors contrasted better with Oakland.

San Jose/Bay Area: Teal & White I chose teal & white instead of an outright use of the current Sharks colors because they also would presumably be used by teams that are supposed to appeal to the entire region (like the Warriors) instead of showing an allegance to San Francisco or Oakland. Aside from being the color the Sharks are known for, teal is the only "neutral" color in the bunch.

Seattle: Pacific Blue & Lime Green The Seahawks have one of the most unique swatches in all of sports and the Mariners unis would look just as good, if not better in this.

St. Louis: Red, Navy & Gold Basically what the Cardinals use. Also the colors of the city flag.

Tampa Bay: Creamsicle Orange & Red I like the Bucs current look better than the throwbacks, but the throwback colors are much more "civic minded" (opposed to the pewter which is more "nickname/identity minded) and therefore a better fit across the board.

Toronto: Oxford Blue & Cambridge Blue It was either this or the Leafs colors, but this allowed me to use more unique shades of blue.

Vancouver: Black & Orange It was either this or navy & kelly green, but the latter is very similar to Seattle.

Washington DC: Burgundy & Old Gold Red & blue is boring and the Redskins "spear" throwbacks is the best a team from DC has ever looked. It doesn't hurt that they're by far the most popular team in the district.

Great post! I almost agree completely with what you've got here, and definitely seems to be in the spirit of the OP - not just a list of colours a city's teams use, that would never work as a uni. I do disagree with a couple -- orange and black should go to someone other then vancouver - and even if its close-ish to what seattle teams would be wearing, something like green and blue (or some variation, with maybe powder blue or even puprle thrown in) belongs for vancouver. And, of all the cities to get navy and red, I don't think atlanta is at the top of my list -- they seem like such stately colours, an older/bigger city should get them.... Maybe atlanta could take black n orange, despite no history for them? Atlanta should have "hotter" and "newer" colours IMO, maybe orange and red, red and white, whatever... Also tough not to see washington in red white n blue - works so well for the b-ball, hockey and baseball teams....just too perfect to sacrifice just for the sake of a great redskin look....if forced to choose.

Arizona - Brick Red (new Diamondbacks and Coyotes), Purple (Classic Diamondbacks and Suns), Turqoise (Classic Diamondbacks)

Anaheim - Red (Angels), Green (Classic Ducks), Orange (New Ducks, local orange production)

Atlanta - Navy (Braves, Hawks, Thrashers), Red (Braves, Hawks, Falcons), Black (Falcons)

Baltimore - Black (Orioles and Ravens), Orange (Orioles), Purple (Ravens)

Boston - Red (Red Sox, Patriots), Yellow (Bruins), Green (Celtics and Fenway)

Buffalo - Navy (Bills and Sabres), Red (Bills), Yellow (Sabres)

Chicago - Black (White Sox, Bulls, and Blackhawks), Red (Cubs, Bulls, and Blackhawks) Blue (Cubs)

Cincinnati - Red (Reds and Bluejackets), Orange (Bengals), and Black (Reds and Bengals)

Cleveland - Red (Indians and Bluejackets), Brown (Browns), and Gold (Cavaliers)

Dallas/Arlington - Blue (Rangers, Cowboys, and Mavericks), Silver (Cowboys and Mavericks), Black (Mavericks and Stars)

Denver - Purple (Rockies), Light Blue (Nuggets and Avalanche), Orange (Broncos)

Detroit - Orange (Tigers), Blue (Lions and Pistons), Red (Red Wings and Pistons)

Houston - Orange (Classic Astros), Red (Texans, Rockets), Black (Astros)

Indianapolis - Blue (Colts), White (Colts), Yellow (Pacers)

Kansas City - Blue (Royals), Red (Chiefs), White (Royals and Chiefs)

Los Angeles - Blue (Dodgers and Clippers), Gold (Lakers), Purple (Lakers and Kings)

Miami - Teal (Marlins and Dolphins), Orange (Dolphins),Black (Marlins and Heat)

Milwaukee - Navy (Brewers), Gold (Brewers and Packers), Green (Packers)

Minnesota - Navy (Twins and Timberwolves), Purple (Vikings), Green (Timberwolves and Wild)

Montreal - Red (Expos and Canadiens), White (Expos and Canadiens), Blue (Expos and Canadiens)

New Jersey - Red (Devils and Nets), White (Devils and Nets), Green (Classic Devils)

New Orleans - Gold (Saints), Black (Saints), Purple (Hornets)

New York City - Blue (Yankees, Mets, Giants, Knicks, Rangers, and Islanders), Orange (Mets, Knicks, and Islanders), Green (Jets)

Oakland - Green (Athletics), Gold (Athletics and Warriors), Silver (Raiders)

Pittsburgh - Black (Pirates, Steelers, and Penguins), Gold (Pirates, Steelers, and Penguins), and White (Penguins)

Philadelphia - Red (Phillies and 76ers), Green (Eagles and Flyers), Black (Flyers)

San Diego - Navy (Padres and Chargers), Gold (Padres and Chargers), Powder Blue (Chargers)

San Francisco - Black (Giants), Orange (Giants), Scarlet (49ers)

Seattle - Teal (Mariners and Seahawks), Navy (Mariners and Seahawks), Blue (Seahawks)

St Louis - Red (Cardinals), Navy (Cardinals and Rams), Gold (Rams and Blues)

Tampa Bay - Navy (Rays and Lightning), Black (Buccaneers and Lightning), Red (Buccaneers)

Toronto - Blue (Blue Jays and Maple Leafs), White (Blue Jays and Maple Leafs), and Black (New Blue Jays and Raptors)

Washington, DC - Navy (Nationals, Capitals, amd Wizards), Red (Nationals, Wizard, and Capitals), Gold (Redskins and Wizards)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived