Color Schemes and Cities

DustDevil61

I was thinking this for a while, and I also got the thought from the "Fun with Colors" thread in the Concepts area. The part that interested me was when the teams' logos state were recolored in their respective city/state flag colors.

However, I am not referring to using colors from the city or state flag, but what would be the main colors for a city based on its teams? Or, what is the first color(s) you think of when you think of a city?

For example, the best example of what I'm talking about is San Francisco; I find it to be a "red" city first and foremost, mainly because of the 49ers, but its whole color scheme could be thought of as red/black/orange(adding the Giants), or just red/gold/black(49ers colors with the Giants' main color).

Another way to think of this is what team is predominant in their city.

Here are some of my thoughts (Color importance in decending order):

Houston--Red/Orange/Navy (Rockets, traditional Astros and Dynamo, Texans)

Philadelphia--Green/Royal Blue/Black (Eagles, Phillies and 76ers, Flyers)

Pittsburgh--Black/Yellow-Gold (Steelers, Penguins, Pirates; all at least at one time, but this one's the most obvious)

Cleveland--Brown/Orange/Navy Blue (Browns, Indians, and also to some extent Cavaliers)

St. Louis--Red/Navy Blue/Royal Blue (Cardinals, Rams, Blues)

San Francisco--Red/Gold/Black (49ers, Giants)

Minnesota--Navy Blue/Purple/Yellow-Gold (Twins, Vikings)

Toronto--Royal Blue/White/Red (traditional Blue Jays, Maple Leafs, Raptors)

Wisconsin (combining Milwaukee and Green Bay)--Green/Yellow-Gold/Navy Blue (Packers and Bucks, Brewers)

Arizona--Brick Red/Black/Orange/Purple (D-Backs, Cardinals, and Coyotes; Suns)

Los Angeles--Royal Blue/Yellow-Gold/Purple (Dodgers and traditional Rams, Lakers and traditional Kings)

Colorado--Navy Blue/Orange/Light Blue (Broncos, Nuggets and to some extent Avalanche)

"Tradtional" means that the team named is not now wearing that color but has worn that color for the majority of its history; the Astros don't wear orange, the Blue Jays don't wear royal blue (as far as I can tell), the Rams don navy blue, not royal, and so on.

And that's about all I can think of now.

Instead of simply combining the teams colours, how 'bout just ideas of what they ought to be, or what we'd expect them to be (and would work as a colour scheme)? So, for example - no red for toronto. Blue and white - for years, thats what you'd expect a toronto team to rock. Pittsburgh, black n yellow/gold ofcourse. Phoenix? How about crimson and gold? Washington DC - red, white and blue ofcourse. Texas cities would be similar (though I like the idea for houston with navy, orange, white - the astros should be wearing this, and it feels very aerospace-ish and apropriate.) Not too many cities qualify without shoe-horning all their teams' colour together.

Miami: Orange and green. Canes colors and tropical.

Tampa: Red and black. The rays could win 5 world series, this is still Buc town.

St. Pete: Green and white. Green is a very St. Pete color and on the city flag.

2ly2w09.jpg

Indianapolis - colts blue, white, Pacer blue, pacer gold (that was easy). . . i always thought green and gold would work very well for an Indiana based team. reminds me of corn fields

Orlando - light blue, white, black. . . orange would be an easy pick here but i would still like to see it used on a team. orange and blue.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Indianapolis - colts blue, white, Pacer blue, pacer gold (that was easy). . . i always thought green and gold would work very well for an Indiana based team. reminds me of corn fields

Orlando - light blue, white, black. . . orange would be an easy pick here but i would still like to see it used on a team. orange and blue.

Notre Dame....

I agree about seattle/northwest - the seahawks and mariners pretty much have it right. Miami's teams should be in some form of green and orange. Red for atlanta? Blueish/Purplishness for denver?

They've actually switched off between blue and green jerseys quite a few times in their history. It's a tradition that Curly Lambeau brought with him to Green Bay and continued until Vince Lombardi made the permanent switch to green.

And I agree that navy, gold and green is a perfect scheme for a Wisconsin team... despite my obvious preference for the BiG logo, I think the "Motre Bame" era Brewers uniforms are by far the best they've ever worn. It's a damn shame they had to be worn during the worst era in the Brewers MLB history and got sacked for that drop-shadowed mess they have now.

Hamilton - Black,Gold,Blue,Silver

Toronto - Navy Blue,Sky Blue,Red

Vancouver - Black,Orange,Blue,Green

Ottawa - Red,Black,Gold

Montreal - Red,White,Blue

Calgary - Red,White,Gold

Edmonton - Green,Gold,Blue,Orange

Saskatchwan - Green,Silver,Black,White

I always wished Houston had done what Pittsburgh had done and adopted a single color combination for all of its profession sports teams.

Since the Oilers were the first major league pro franchise, Columbia blue and red would be the colors, which would be just fine by me.

FsQiF2W.png

I don't need any more reminders about all these daggone corn fields around here. I'll pass, thanks.

As for Indianapolis, yeah I can definitely see the blue and white, but um...what about that teeny tiny little red dot on the Indy city flag that denotes the "Circle" in the Circle City? ^_^

Actually, since I've been stuck out here in the Indiana nothingness, I've been a bit curious as to what the Colts might look like if they went and adopted the same colors as the Pacers--at which point both teams' colors would also match the Indiana state flag--perhaps a bit of a brighter blue so as not to look straight navy, though? (Of course, I've also long thought that the Colts' name would sound better as the Indiana Colts--but that's another topic for another time.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I don't need any more reminders about all these daggone corn fields around here. I'll pass, thanks.

As for Indianapolis, yeah I can definitely see the blue and white, but um...what about that teeny tiny little red dot on the Indy city flag that denotes the "Circle" in the Circle City? ^_^

Actually, since I've been stuck out here in the Indiana nothingness, I've been a bit curious as to what the Colts might look like if they went and adopted the same colors as the Pacers--at which point both teams' colors would also match the Indiana state flag--perhaps a bit of a brighter blue so as not to look straight navy, though? (Of course, I've also long thought that the Colts' name would sound better as the Indiana Colts--but that's another topic for another time.)

You too, huh? At least that was their name in Tecmo Bowl.

I don't get it. You're trying to create actual color schemes for these cities that wouldn't make their teams have to change too much if they were to all adopt them? Or just a list of some colors from local team, for no real reason? Anyway you're doing it, Boston has to have the worst palate to choose from, would the outcome be Green/Red/Yellow? (Celtics/Sox, Pats, & Revs/Bruins)

Archived