Fox Sports adopts NFL theme music for all sports

RyanB06

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they're going to do this, they should do it right. ABC used the same theme for all of its sports programming (except the Calgary Olympics, which still used "Bugler's Dream") in the late 80's. But they used a different arrangement for every sport. In FOX's case, they could use a pipe organ version for baseball and an electric guitar version for NASCAR.

Believe it or not, I just heard this for the first time tonight - WTF? It's not like either one is great, but the football one just means... well, football. There's nothing wrong with a unifying theme, but not after 15 or so years of using the same theme for one sport exclusively. It's no Roundball Rock, but it makes me think about football the same way RR makes me think basketball.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Love him or hate him (or don't care either way), this is probably the greatest opening theme song to any network sports broadcast ever.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Love him or hate him (or don't care either way), this is probably the greatest opening theme song to any network sports broadcast ever.

I agree so much. I remember NBA Jam using it as the menu music too, especially the bass line. If we're on the topic of "Roundball" lol, this one is at the same level too:

As a Bucks fan from Milwaukee it pains me, but this is as synonymous with basketball as it gets!

packchampionslfroh.png

I don't like that remix. They meant well, but all that extraneous drumming gets in the way. Just stick to what worked. Of course, I grew up with the Bulls, so I don't like any progress or deviations. Scottie Pippen today could be a 12th man on this team. He's broke now. He might have to!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 1 year later...

Yeah, that move never struck me as a very good one. The music written for football telecasts was written to fit a--gasp--football telecast. Why not reduce to absurdity and use the NFL music to open The O'Reilly Factor? It would really solidify the Fox brand!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 year later, what do we think? I miss the MLB on Fox theme. Luckily Sun Sports and local FSN affiliates still use the specialized themes.

It fits football perfectly. It doesn't fit baseball, and good God, it doesn't fit soccer. Just because you have an iconic theme doesn't mean you plaster it all over your other properties. You didn't see NBC taking the Tesh NBA theme and using it for Wimbledon and the Breeder's Cup after a few years.

We don't have an FSN affiliate here in Chicago, so the last chance I had to hear the MLB on Fox theme was when MLB Network ran the Australian Baseball League All-Star Game this past winter. Fox Sports Australia still uses the proper theme. Hearing it put me in a happy place.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I agree so much. I remember NBA Jam using it as the menu music too, especially the bass line. If we're on the topic of "Roundball" lol, this one is at the same level too:

As a Bucks fan from Milwaukee it pains me, but this is as synonymous with basketball as it gets!

I've never been to a Bulls game, not a basketball fan, but that opening montage makes me think of the Blackhawks one so much, they use the Pirates of the Caribbean theme music or whatever, and it's so great, gets you ready for a game.

Archived