Tampa Bay Lightning Logo

JackFr

This is eventually for my NHL Rebrand series (which will resume as soon as I get the damn Bruins logo off my virused cpu). I had a skeleton of this, and I was bored so I decided to flesh it out. This would be a secondary logo most likely.

tampalightningvector.png

Please C&C.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I made a subtle nod to the old logo in it. Try and find it.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Check it out and comment.

Put a lightning bolt on his shield.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

First off i think that's Zeus, not Thor. Thor is the god of thunder, and Zeus is the king of the gods, who wields lightning bolts; ergo, I totally see the connection there.

My point is that is does not fit their Identity at all.

You could place any random greek or roman god and make them a logo, doesnt mean it fits their identity.

I agree with CreamSoda, the Tampa Bay area is known as the "Lightning capital of the world", for some of the big lightning strikes that come down there (I know first hand lol), so putting in Zeus would just seem forced/cliche to me, as the name refers to the weather phenomenon.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

I agree with CreamSoda, the Tampa Bay area is known as the "Lightning capital of the world", for some of the big lightning strikes that come down there (I know first hand lol), so putting in Zeus would just seem forced/cliche to me, as the name refers to the weather phenomenon.

Thank you!

This guy gets it.

Well Tampa's never really had a secondary other than a bolt with Florida behind it, so I thought maybe it would be a good idea to make an interesting one. Not much can be done with the name Lightning as far as secondaries go.

Does anybody have any constructive comments on the design?

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Thank you!

This guy gets it.

He gets it because he's agreeing with you? Okay... I understand about Tampa being the lightning capital of the world, but how is a Greek God who weilds lightning bolts force? Did he not use them and throw them down to earth? If so, then one could surmise if they were Greek and we were in that time, that Zeus lived above Tampa and was probably pissed at Tampa. It's not that far of a stretch if you actually have an imagination and can think outside of facts.

Thank you!

This guy gets it.

He gets it because he's agreeing with you? Okay... I understand about Tampa being the lightning capital of the world, but how is a Greek God who weilds lightning bolts force? Did he not use them and throw them down to earth? If so, then one could surmise if they were Greek and we were in that time, that Zeus lived above Tampa and was probably pissed at Tampa. It's not that far of a stretch if you actually have an imagination and can think outside of facts.

They are not the Tampa Bay Gods....

Why not use Emperor Palpatine and his bolts of lightning then, if you are goign that route.

Dude it's not like I'm the first person to ever have this idea. What else will I do for a shoulder logo then? Another lightning bolt with Florida behind it? It's a :censored:ing concept.

Also, who cares how Tampa Bay has their stuff now? So they mean the "weather related phenomenon". it's a concept.

Does anyone have any design-related critique for this logo?

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Yeah I didnt mean you couldnt make it, I dont care since its a concept, as long as it looks good. I was referring to if they ever considered it in real life. As for the logo, it seems very clip-arty to me, doesnt really have that sports logo look. I cant really find the words to describe what I mean, but I guess it has to do with the lines, I mean you got the 4 team colors, but they dont seem to come together in a logo sense and arent very clean, and there is no aspect of shadows and highlights.

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

In Greek/Roman mythology, Zeus/Jupiter was responsible for the weather phenomenon known as lightning. Thus, the depiction of Zeus/Jupiter here represents the weather phenomenon of lightning quite well. The concept isn't that difficult to connect, gentlemen. Quit being dumbasses.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The body/basketball thing doesn't flow well for me.

And I can't find the nod to the old logo. Are you talking about their previous logo during their Cup run for example, or their current set since Edge? Either way I don't see it.

2ly2w09.jpg

In Greek/Roman mythology, Zeus/Jupiter was responsible for the weather phenomenon known as lightning. Thus, the depiction of Zeus/Jupiter here represents the weather phenomenon of lightning quite well. The concept isn't that difficult to connect, gentlemen. Quit being dumbasses.

Well, there is no reason to call someone a dumbass for stating their opinion. Plus nobody said it was difficult to connect, as soon as I saw the first post, I knew exactly what he was going for and why, I was stating why it wouldnt really fit with the real TB Lightning. But if you lived around here, you would know where I was coming from with my first post. If you mentioned "lightning" to anyone around here, the first thing they would think of/mention (besides the hockey team) is lightning/thunder/storms/hurricanes/etc., the weather aspect (especially with some the ones we get around here), but nobody around here would really think of or associate it with any kind of mythology or anything like that. Hence my "forced/cliche" comment because nobody around here ever really connects it to Zeus or stuff like that. Take the Trenton Thunder for example (I know someone is gonna mention lightning/thunder difference, but the point/principle is still the same), I used to live up there too, that place aint anything special for thundering storms, they get about the same as most other places, their name was more of something that just sounded good. And they used Thor as part of their identity at one time, but it didnt seem out of place, because they dont have a strong connection with the weather aspect. But the Lightning playing in the Tampa Bay area, which like previously mentioned is the "Lightning capital of the world", have such a strong connection to the natural weather aspect of it, bringing in Zeus or anything like that would seem out of place around here. Plus like I said in my second post, I have nothing against the guy doing this concept, this idea is bound to come up, and thats fine, and if he can come up with something that looks good, go for it. All that lightning stuff I'm talking about is in regards to if the real team ever considered it, I dont care what he does for a concept, because thats exactly what it is, a concept.

Thank you for your wonderful insight. Much appreciated. I will forever change my opinion to whatever you feel is right...

Hence my "forced/cliche" comment because nobody around here ever really connects it to Zeus or stuff like that.

How is it cliche if nobody uses it?

There have been sports teams that have used the mythology aspect, plus I guess the main word there was forced, cliche kinda came with it lol.

Well, this is a concept thread not a debate thread, JackFr wanted some advice on his logo, so I think he shall receive some advice.

First of all I really like the Zeus idea, I think it could work very well if executed properly. The logo you have right now is looking pretty good so far, but it needs some work. The lines appear to be kind of jagged, and the thickness isn't consistent. Look at the shield, the outline on the bottom left is thinner looking than the outline on the top or on the right. The body parts definitely need some work. The fingers look weird and the way you've shaded the muscles makes them appear blocky. Also, the toga looks like a wife beater to me, I would either thicken the sleeves, or just get rid of one of them all together. Finally, I would somehow tie in a lightning bolt or something. Maybe have the hockey stick come down as a bolt of lightning at the bottom, something like that.

This is a really good start, and I like the idea. I hope that this debate over whether or not the logo is relevant to the team name doesn't stop you from finishing this logo.

Archived