NBA to Take Over Hornets?

DustDevil61

Well, this one came as a bit of a bolt out of the blue:

Hornets to be bought by NBA?

I knew that a sale was going down, but I didn't know that it could all fall apart. I also didn't know that the Hornets have had trouble trying to fill New Orleans arena (to the benchmark 14,735) especially with how well the Hornets have been playing overall.

Thoughts?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll sure be glad when Winnipeg gets the Cyclone back.

You know you preferred the Thunder since it was more realistic.

Yes, but then we get into a whole "Hey Winnipeg should be the Thunder and Utah should be the Hornets and MOVE OKLAHOMA BACK TO SEATTLE" and then it just gets so unwieldy.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

They should've stayed in Oklahoma City.

So because of whoever's idea it was to move and keep the Hornets in New Orleans, we are now stuck with a team named the "Bobcats". The Oklahoma City Thunder and their EPIC logo now exists. And the Supersonics are dead. Thanks a lot, pal!

6uXNWAo.png

George Shinn, noted franchise ruiner.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Well, this one came as a bit of a bolt out of the blue:

Hornets to be bought by NBA?

I knew that a sale was going down, but I didn't know that it could all fall apart. I also didn't know that the Hornets have had trouble trying to fill New Orleans arena (to the benchmark 14,735) especially with how well the Hornets have been playing overall.

Thoughts?

The Hornets historically had poor attendance, so this doesn't completely surprise me. Unfortunately, pointing out that the Hornets are struggling does not fit into the grand narrative of "New Orleans is healing and recovering from Katrina" so this hasn't gotten a lot of play.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Any news weather they'll stay in NO or move?

They cannot move until the process of them being sold to Gary Chouset is finalized. Shinn does not want to pay an additional $10MM for breaking a lease with said buyout.

Righto so they're there for a while then.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

They cannot move until the process of them being sold to Gary Chouset is finalized. Shinn does not want to pay an additional $10MM for breaking a lease with said buyout.

Not necessarily. If somebody decides they want an NBA team badly enough, they will pay off Shinn and the lease.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Who knows.

A local TV station, WWL, said, "the Hornets are exceeding the minimum attendance numbers set in the contract with the state that would let the Hornets opt out. They are not, however, selling out the New Orleans Arena."

Plus, the NBA's CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) expires on June 30, 2011. Therefore, all will be stuck until an agreement is made. Look for players to be locked out of training camp at the least, like in 1998-99.

No, really, the NBA should have bought the Hornets when they were in Oklahoma City. It would've taken creepy sex offender George Shinn out of the league, at which point Stern could flip the team to his life partner Clay Bennett and permanently get a good thing going in OKC. Then, old Schultzie never finds himself selling the Sonics to a cadre of beefy idiots in cowboy hats whose promises to keep the team ring a little less than sincere, and Seattle is then much less likely to leave the league. Under this scenario, everybody wins. Well, except the handful of people who passionately cared about the Hornets. But the Saints eventually saved New Orleans by being good at football, so nobody would've noticed anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think part of the reason the Hornets aren't pulling enough here right now is that there are quite of bit of people in this town that were affected by the oil spill, plus the recession finally caught up to the city as well (It didn't really hit here until early 2010 due to all of the Katrina projects).

I think part of the reason the Hornets aren't pulling enough here right now is that there are quite of bit of people in this town that were affected by the oil spill, plus the recession finally caught up to the city as well (It didn't really hit here until early 2010 due to all of the Katrina projects).

I would say that the population of the city is still 40% less than it was pre-Katrina and it may never reach that lever ever again.

Archived