Top Ten Athletes Ever

the_cynic

Who's the best athlete ever?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I found this on the front page of ESPN but in your mind, who's if the best athelte ever?

Top Ten Athletes ever

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How in the world can Wayne Gretzky NOT be on that list? He is simply the most dominating athlete to ever play! He lifted his teams to new levels and probably brought on the popularity of the NHL in the States.

I can guarantee that these teams would not exist had 99 not been traded to LA:

Anaheim

San Jose

Tampa Bay

Florida

Carolina (they'd probably be in Hartford still)

Nashville

Atlanta (they'd already lost one team)

Columbus

Shall I continue?

#99. The Great One. Best. Athlete. Ever.

Bah.

Jackie Robinson is possibly the bravest athelete, but FAR from one of the top ten athletes ever. He's not even one of the top ten baseball players ever.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I think by athlete, they mean all around. The ability to play other sports, simply put, how athletic they are. Babe Ruth as an example was a helluva baseball player, but he was not as good an athlete as say Danny Ainge (played for the Blue Jays too).

Yes, people. All these people not only were good at other sports... they excelled at other sports.

Here's why Robinson is on the list...

was the first UCLA athlete ever to letter in four sports. As a Bruin, Robinson was an All-American running back, a point guard who twice led the Pac-10 in scoring, and the 1940 NCAA champion in the long jump, flying 25' 6 1/2".

I'd say that makes him a VERY fine athlete.

I, for the most part, agree with the rankings. I like Brown, Thorpe, or Winfield at #1 (although I voted for Thorpe)

All were AMAZING athletes. Hell, look at Winfield... drafted by the Vikings despite never playing a down in college football.

IUe6Hvh.png

Why is not Babe Ruth not on the list. Although I don't think he is the best he should be in the top 10. Unfortunatly, we onl see images of Ruth when he was late in his career and on the fat side.

I voted for Jim Thorpe. Gold medalist, Pro football, and Baseball player. The best all-around athlete.

#99. The Great One. Best. Athlete. Ever.

Gretzky deserves to be on the list, but doesn't deserve top billing. This is coming from a Canadian, too.

I certainly think Pele deserves to make the top ten. What Gretzky did for hockey in the US, Pele did for soccer in North America and around the world. And despite their penchant for faking injuries, many soccer players go 90 minutes with one break. Hockey players may go harder, but for not nearly that length of time. And I'm not a big soccer fan by any stretch of the imagination.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I voted for this dude, the king of the football field! Sure he looks nice here but that guy is one mean mutha!

jimBrown.jpg

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Why is not Babe Ruth not on the list. Although I don't think he is the best he should be in the top 10. Unfortunatly, we onl see images of Ruth when he was late in his career and on the fat side.

I voted for Jim Thorpe. Gold medalist, Pro football, and Baseball player. The best all-around athlete.

Well, what, other than baseball, was Babe Ruth good at? I'd imagine he wasn't the quickest guy either.

IUe6Hvh.png

Well, what, other than baseball, was Babe Ruth good at? I'd imagine he wasn't the quickest guy either.

Well, there is the problem. In the early 1900's when Ruth was growing up, what other sports were there? There was baseball and........well baseball. Footabll real didn't start up untill Ruth was already in the Major Leagues.

If football wasn't invented until after 1914, the year Babe Ruth entered the league... then what was the Notre Dame football team playing before then? With very little effort, I traced Notre Dame football back to 1887 in a game against Michigan. They probably played a few years before that.

But, Football was invented in 1880. Long before Ruth played baseball.

And Dr. James Naismith invented Basketball in 1891.

IUe6Hvh.png

If football wasn't invented until after 1914, the year Babe Ruth entered the league... then what was the Notre Dame football team playing before then? With very little effort, I traced Notre Dame football back to 1887 in a game against Michigan. They probably played a few years before that.

But, Football was invented in 1880. Long before Ruth played baseball.

And Dr. James Naismith invented Basketball in 1891.

I never said football wasn't invented untill 1914. I do know football was invented in the 1800's. In the early 1900's it wasn't as big as it was in say mid 1910's. Baseball was THE sport then, yes there were others I know thabu the THE sports was baseball and baseball only.

My original point was that Ruth is very underrated as far as all around athleticism because there is almost no footage of him early in his career, just late in his career. Like I said I think Jim Thorpe is the greatest, but Ruth deserves to be somewhere in the top 10.

All this Gretzky talk reminds me of an on-air conversation that 2 dj's were having on the air one day about 10 years ago here in St. Louis. One of the DJ's was new to the area, having come from somewhere that didn't have pro hockey. The older DJ was trying to explain to the guy why Brett Hull was such a big deal here in town (keep in mind this was 1994). The new guy, then says "Oh, so what you're saying is that Brett Hull is like the Wayne Gretzky of hockey."

I think he was serious.

That's no excuse for Babe Ruth. The sports were still popular to the point where Babe Ruth could've, and probably would've played them had he been one of the best athletes of all time. He doesn't belong on a list with people who excelled at up to 3 sports, usually 2, and could've played any of those sports professionally.

Hell, Michael Jordan probably would've been a very successful baseball player.

And one argument against Ruth is that baseball isn't exactly the most athletic sport in the world. Is it the hardest to play? Yes. Most athletic? No.

IUe6Hvh.png

That's no excuse for Babe Ruth. The sports were still popular to the point where Babe Ruth could've, and probably would've played them had he been one of the best athletes of all time. He doesn't belong on a list with people who excelled at up to 3 sports, usually 2, and could've played any of those sports professionally.

Hell, Michael Jordan probably would've been a very successful baseball player.

And one argument against Ruth is that baseball isn't exactly the most athletic sport in the world. Is it the hardest to play? Yes. Most athletic? No.

Well stated.

Wrong! I love baseball and all but golf is way harder than baseball!

Retired Number's To Come

And one argument against Ruth is that baseball isn't exactly the most athletic sport in the world.  Is it the hardest to play?  Yes.  Most athletic?  No.

Wrong! I love baseball and all but golf is way harder than baseball!

Yeah, true. I'll give you that one. I didn't think of gold at the time.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived