Top Ten Athletes Ever

the_cynic

Who's the best athlete ever?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bah.

Jackie Robinson is possibly the bravest athelete, but FAR from one of the top ten athletes ever. He's not even one of the top ten baseball players ever.

IMO, had Jackie Robinson been able to play in the Majors his entire career, he'd be up there with Dimaggio, Williams and Musial. You have to realize he was past his prime when MLB decided to integrate.

Unfortunatley, the Negro Leagues had nowhere near the publicity or resources that MLB had, so we'll never know just how great he was...

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lionel Conacher played pro football and pro hockey, also baseball & lacrosse, but I don't recall what level, and also dabbled in boxing & wrestling...

He excelled in all of them--so all round--he should be on that list--but I voted for Jim Thorpe--as he was the most versatile of those names

Some Lionel Conacher info...

Some more...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I'm probably gonna' get blasted off of this board for this but.....I respect all of you guys chosing Wayne Gretzky, but this is an American poll, and that means that hockey isn't taken as seriously here to the majority of the sports population as it is by Canadians. To be honest, I never watched a hockey game until I was in high school. Not dissing on hockey or "The Great One" by any means, I mean Michael Jordan is on there why can't Gretzky. I'm just saying that I don't think Gretzky is as appreciated as MJ or the others on the list by the people ESPN is likely targeting.

I chose Jackie Robinson

Flame away,

TR

rush.png

Clipboard03.jpg

Hey guys! Just stopping in for a bit. I hope to post some every once in a while. Guess I got a case of withdrawl. ^_^

One comment on this that some of you guys don't seem to understand: While Babe Ruth could hit homeruns by the barrel full, and Wayne Gretzky could put hundreds of pucks in the net, this is for the best ATHLETE, as in strength, speed, power, and the like. Debate if you wish Howe v. Gretzky scoring wise, but you can't even compare them in strength: Gretz was scrawny and small, and that was much of his appeal. Ruth, same basic reason, just the opposite: Near the end of his career, most of what he could do was just hit the ball.

And one argument against Ruth is that baseball isn't exactly the most athletic sport in the world.  Is it the hardest to play?  Yes.  Most athletic?  No.

Wrong! I love baseball and all but golf is way harder than baseball!

I'm guessing you've never tried to hit a major league curveball.

;)

Golf is difficult, sure, but hitting a major league pitcher is the hardest thing in sports. Succeed 30% of the time, you are a star. Even me and my 13 handicap hit the par 7 out of ten times.

And one argument against Ruth is that baseball isn't exactly the most athletic sport in the world. Is it the hardest to play? Yes. Most athletic? No.

;)

Golf is difficult, sure, but hitting a major league pitcher is the hardest thing in sports. Succeed 30% of the time, you are a star. Even me and my 13 handicap hit the par 7 out of ten times.

How do you figure man? MLB players get accustomed to hitting balls like that. Besides, you don't need to be able to hit curve balls to be able to survive in the majors. Hitting a major league curve ball is one thing but hitting a golf ball and directing it into a specific area while only getting one chance is another. In baseball a strike, ball, or foul could be considered a mulligan. In golf you don't have any mulligans or extra attempts at hitting the ball. Golf and baseball are two different sports but in my mind, golf is a lot more challenging!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

And one argument against Ruth is that baseball isn't exactly the most athletic sport in the world. Is it the hardest to play? Yes. Most athletic? No.

;)

How do you figure man? MLB players get accustomed to hitting balls like that. Besides, you don't need to be able to hit curve balls to be able to survive in the majors. Hitting a major league curve ball is one thing but hitting a golf ball and directing it into a specific area while only getting one chance is another. In baseball a strike, ball, or foul could be considered a mulligan. In golf you don't have any mulligans or extra attempts at hitting the ball. Golf and baseball are two different sports but in my mind, golf is a lot more challenging!

Hmm... interesting discussion...

Yes, baseball players are 'used' to curveballs. Yes, they get mulligans (three strikes, four balls, plus any two strike non-bunt fouls). Yet despite all the mulligans, if you succeed in 2 out 5 at bats, you could be considered one of the greatest legends in the game.

If golfers failed 3 out of 5 holes (comparable to a baseball at bat), they won't be on any tour very long!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Golf is possibly harder to play well, but is it harder to play?

What the hell do you mean? I bet more people can play baseball then they can golf. It's pretty easy to start out playing a sport that let's little kids hit a ball off the tee.

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Golf is possibly harder to play well, but is it harder to play?

What the hell do you mean? I bet more people can play baseball then they can golf. It's pretty easy to start out playing a sport that let's little kids hit a ball off the tee.

Yes, and the ironic thing, is that's what EVERYONE does in golf, lol...in fact, I thought you were talking about golf at first.

Bet if you asked anyone which is easier, hit a baseball off the tee or a golf ball. People who usually just start out playing golf take a while just to let how to hit the damn little ball off of the damn little tee. Golf requires a good swing and just look at all the ugly stances we've seen in baseball over the years. I always thought Cal Ripken Junior's was pretty ugly!

Retired Number's To Come

Well yes, but in true baseball, there is no tee. But yeah, you gotta learn how tohit the ball of the tee in golf, but it's not hard to make contact. I'll bet more people can hit a ball off a tee in golf than can hit a pitch in baseball on their first try. I think golf is easier to play, but quite possibly harder to master. MAYBE.

When it comes down to it, timing is everything in these two sports. I just think there's a lot more strategy in golf.

Retired Number's To Come

These are the kinds of questions that really can't be decided. What is great in sports? Well not in all sports can you get 100 pts. in a game. Not in all sports can you get consecutive double-doubles. So it's a question that really can't be measured. I mean you can have the best player in their respective sports, but I think it's even hard to measure the greatest athlete of all time in a specific sport. Example.

Back in the Bobby Orr prime years when the Bruins ripped through the NHL, I think that they played a different style of hockey then today. Defensemen were'nt as aggressive, forwards added more pressure. This was different from the Gretzky era. I mean you can have Orr as the best hockey player of the 70's and Gretzky as the 80's player, but to compare them IMO, would be very hard, even though there are only a decade apart. I think any game changes stlye a little bit every season.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Well yes, but in true baseball, there is no tee. But yeah, you gotta learn how tohit the ball of the tee in golf, but it's not hard to make contact. I'll bet more people can hit a ball off a tee in golf than can hit a pitch in baseball on their first try. I think golf is easier to play, but quite possibly harder to master. MAYBE.

Nope. Golf took me the longest ever to play. It looks easy, but to get it down path, but not master it at that case, is still very hard.

Pitching to me however, took not that many years. For years I played shortstop from about age 9 to age 13. Then at 14, I started pitching, and it didn't take me long to learn the curve, slider, knuckle, and yes, beanball. I did do well in middle school, and parts of high school before I did track. I'll try to find my scrapbook and look at the newspaper clipings.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Whoa... cool down bs... nobody's questioning your intelligence here.

Baseball is harder to start playing compared to golf. Teeball is not baseball.

Golf: you swing the club at the ball, and try to get it in a hole 200-500 yards awa in as few swings as possible.

Baseball: you swing the club at the ball thrown by a person standing on a mound 66-some-odd feet away, attempting to hit it forwards inside the field or beyond the far fence of the field, while trying to avoid having it caught by the 8 people in front of you or the 1 person behind you, and running to avoid being thrown out at any base, all in your attempt to get to the same place as you are standing right now, albeit by a circuitous 360 ft. route.

Baseball is harder to play (ie. start out), but golf might still be harder to play well.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived