Wolves - Rebrand

9erssteve

• 1 month later...

Ok here is the latest update to this one. Lowered the back a little, shortened the face, dropped the lightening in favour of something more believable to do the same job, I've fixed the back feet simplified and reduced the tail and tweaked a few of the highlights. I've also created a logotype as well. The place name will sit above the text (wont show that until official) and before anyone says drop american football from underneath it's a requirement that the team have asked for they are not based in the US and want to clearly differentiate themselves from all native sports at first glance.

As always C&C appreciated, enjoy!

9erssteve

Wolves-visuals-2.png

logotype_first_draft-1.png

9ersstevesig.png

Looking pretty good so far. Love the wordmark but you might want to tweak the "O". It comes across as a "Q" to me. The blood doesn't work at all. The lightning bolt was more in tune with the style of the wolf. The wolf is all sharp angles but the blood is all rounded and streaming.

It's almost done. Keep it up.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Disregarding the blood trail for a moment, something looks off about the mouth to me. The lower jaw looks too long? The red inside the mouth is too large? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it seems to disrupt the logo a little.

Does anyone else feel the same, or is it just me?

The blood trail...Not feeling it yet. Really the logo itself is quite striking and dynamic on its own.

I really like the wordmark as well. I can see why undead said it looks like a "Q", but I think it's a pretty minor fix.

I think you are really close overall, and you are very skilled!

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's much appreciated.

Ok so the blood trail in it's more realistic form has been well and truly shot down, and looking at it again today I have to agree probably rightly so, as Undead said, its to rounded compared to the angular shapes in the wolf.

I know many people are calling for the wolf on it's own, but when I started out on this project I had something reminiscent of the Bills logo in mind when I started out. I've always liked it as a logo, thought is was bold and striking and there was just something about it before they started adding an extra keyline every other year that struck a chord with me. So with that in mind having just the wolf on it's own feels like it's kinda lacking something to me, it just seems to stationary and static.

So I'm trying to strike a compromise, I've got two ideas on how to do it, the first a much simpler flash than used in the first one (just quickly drawn here will tweak based on feedback) and the other involves using the peaks of the fur to create motion trails, I'll hopefully get that posted tomorrow.

here's the simpler flash for C&C's in the meantime, and I'll get the second one and tweaked wordmark up asap.

Thanks

9erssteve

Picture3.png

9ersstevesig.png

As others have said, the wolf is great without any blood or bolt, but I get what your saying about having it like the Bills in a way, but in the Bills logo, the red streak takes up like 25% of the logo so it makes the logo what it is. In yours, the streak is so small that it seems like a small unecissary addition. Obviously this is much better than the Bills logo. I still think the streak can work though. Everything about the wolf has a black outline so it might look better if the streak was black with a smaller red sliver of a bolt inside it. It might make it less out of place. Just my thoughts. Other than that, this is one of the best logos Ive seen in a while. I love the style of it.

I like the lightning since it adds something to the logo that most wolves logos dont have.

Similarly, most wolves don't have civil war era muskets. Have you tried a version that includes one?

As others have said, the wolf is great without any blood or bolt, but I get what your saying about having it like the Bills in a way, but in the Bills logo, the red streak takes up like 25% of the logo so it makes the logo what it is. In yours, the streak is so small that it seems like a small unecissary addition. Obviously this is much better than the Bills logo. I still think the streak can work though. Everything about the wolf has a black outline so it might look better if the streak was black with a smaller red sliver of a bolt inside it. It might make it less out of place. Just my thoughts. Other than that, this is one of the best logos Ive seen in a while. I love the style of it.

Thanks for the compliments much appreciated. I think I'm getting there the latest version is certainly a big improvement on the first attempt, and I think the blood idea was probably ill advised from the get go, but hey it was worth a shot for all the time it took. I'll give your suggestions a go and see how I feel about them.

Love the head on this thing. Nice job. My only comment is that the front feet seem to be more squared off and the back feet are more round. Other than that, it's awesome.

Yeah you're right about the feet and it's on my list of things to tweak before this is finally finished. The back feet will be squared off more to match the front ones better. Thanks.

I like the lightning since it adds something to the logo that most wolves logos dont have.

Similarly, most wolves don't have civil war era muskets. Have you tried a version that includes one?

I haven't as yet, but I'll give it a go on your advice. Thanks for the insight.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

You definitely do not need anything coming from the mouth, but the posture of the wolf and some of the angles are really taking this down. The hunched back and slouchy shoulders are making the upper body of the wolf look weak and passive instead of aggressive and assertive. Then, the awkwardly hanging rear legs leading into the torso make it look like it's back has just given out. The wolf's posture is stiff and lifeless through the glutes up to the hunchback, making the limbs look very dangly, like he's not even in control of them. You'd be better off forming a single, aggressive arch with the wolf's body. Maybe even have it exploding off one foot, similar to how a human jumps or pounces. The next issue is the head, which looks like it's almost in profile, while the body is coming out toward you. The head should be at a 3/4 angle to match the body. Comic book art is great for picking up the nuances of these types of poses, where artificial aggression and mood must be created within the drawing. Right now the pose looks like someone tied a string underneath a miniature wolf's armpits and then connected it to a moving ceiling fan. The posing just needs dome little nuances to make it more active, as if the wolf is doing the action instead of the action being done unto the wolf.

Beyond that, I think you've got a pretty good handle on your linework, though you might look at eliminating a small amount of the 'spiky' detail and making the remaining detail a little more prominent. This may or may not help it, but it's something to look at if you have the time.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

You definitely do not need anything coming from the mouth, but the posture of the wolf and some of the angles are really taking this down. The hunched back and slouchy shoulders are making the upper body of the wolf look weak and passive instead of aggressive and assertive. Then, the awkwardly hanging rear legs leading into the torso make it look like it's back has just given out. The wolf's posture is stiff and lifeless through the glutes up to the hunchback, making the limbs look very dangly, like he's not even in control of them. You'd be better off forming a single, aggressive arch with the wolf's body. Maybe even have it exploding off one foot, similar to how a human jumps or pounces. The next issue is the head, which looks like it's almost in profile, while the body is coming out toward you. The head should be at a 3/4 angle to match the body. Comic book art is great for picking up the nuances of these types of poses, where artificial aggression and mood must be created within the drawing. Right now the pose looks like someone tied a string underneath a miniature wolf's armpits and then connected it to a moving ceiling fan. The posing just needs dome little nuances to make it more active, as if the wolf is doing the action instead of the action being done unto the wolf.

Beyond that, I think you've got a pretty good handle on your linework, though you might look at eliminating a small amount of the 'spiky' detail and making the remaining detail a little more prominent. This may or may not help it, but it's something to look at if you have the time.

Hey Andrew thanks for the indepth feedback, it's just what I'm looking for to push this to where it needs to be.

I've been trying to keep this one as close to life as possible, I cant stand over stylised logos. Sure the Falcons logo looks interesting but there's no way that thing can actually be called a Falcon and I dont want to end up going down that road. I've attached the main photo I've been working from with regards posture.

_46585508_wolf.jpg

Obviously I've changed up the front legs a bit to have them reaching out as I felt tucked under as they are in the photo would have looked really passive in a logo. The idea was to front load all the highlights and have the flash from the mouth to focus all the action to the head of the logo to help try and increase the sense of movement, so while not an after thought the back end of the logo isn't as detailed as the front.

Any further advice you could give now you can see the logo and main reference in direct comparison would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

No, the back end shouldn't be as detailed as the front end. You got that right. Picture a dolphin jumping up out of the water and then down back toward you.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived