Trademark status

Buffalo

I have always loved the WLAF logos for teams like the Orlando Thunder, Sacramento Surge and Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks.

SacramentoSurge91.GIF

RaleighDurhamSkyhawks2.GIF

OrlandoThunder91.GIF

Does anybody know if the NFL will sue me if I start printing them on tee shirts and selling them?

Are the trademarks still alive? Or can I use em?

I could have sworn I'd seen that last logo (just the part with the T of course) being used to some capacity by the AA Trenton Thunder. Perhaps as some kind of alternate logo to their usual batting thunder-cloud. I may be mistaken, but if not them, I thought I saw someone else using that.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have always loved the WLAF logos for teams like the Orlando Thunder, Sacramento Surge and Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks.

SacramentoSurge91.GIF

RaleighDurhamSkyhawks2.GIF

OrlandoThunder91.GIF

Does anybody know if the NFL will sue me if I start printing them on tee shirts and selling them?

Are the trademarks still alive? Or can I use em?

As they say...if you gotta ask...

Also, seeing as you're asking in a public forum, of which the NFL most likely has a lurker visiting, you're probably better off not trying to capitalize on someone else's work.

The NFL wouldn't have a stake in most of these things anyways.

If someone's serious about starting a business around reviving the logos, for merchandising, and you can't find any trademark data, go through the internet and try to contact the owners of the teams at the time. I would imagine most would license out the marks for dirt cheap, considering I'm sure they don't hold any real value at the moment.

If someone's serious about starting a business around reviving the logos, for merchandising, and you can't find any trademark data, go through the internet and try to contact the owners of the teams at the time. I would imagine most would license out the marks for dirt cheap, considering I'm sure they don't hold any real value at the moment.

Great advice. I wouldn't think there'd be a problem getting a license if you can find the owners.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Great advice. I wouldn't think there'd be a problem getting a license if you can find the owners.

Problem here is that the OP is too d@mn lazy to do that, therefore he comes to the board for answers. If you are wanting to go into business and want do try to do things like this...hire an attorney.

Problem here is that the OP is too d@mn lazy to do that, therefore he comes to the board for answers. If you are wanting to go into business and want do try to do things like this...hire an attorney.

RaAhBBk4Ti518neqKn2zICcGo1_500.jpg

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Didn't the NFL own all the teams in the WLAF? If so, then I'm sure they'd have ni problem letting someone use the logos in a for-profohwaitaminute

take a page out of what the skateboarding industry does...reproduce and sell as much as you can until the cease and desist letter comes in the mail...then you've made some cash and created some limited edition clothing.

I know this falls into a gray area but don't trademark owners have to demonstrate some sort of commercial use or the trademark eventually expires due to non use?

Didn't the NFL own all the teams in the WLAF? If so, then I'm sure they'd have ni problem letting someone use the logos in a for-profohwaitaminute

Not in this version... in the NFL Europa days, I believe so.

Using Wikipedia as a source...

Orlando Thunder - Raj Bhathal

Birmingham Fire - Gavin Maloof

Sacramento Surge - Fred Anderson

San Antonio Riders - Larry Benson

Montreal Machine - Roger Dore

NY/NJ Knights - Robert F. X. Sillerman

Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks - George Shinn

This came up a couple of years ago. I remember digging around and learning that, with the exception of the Barcelona Dragons logo and the Birmingham Fire name, all of the trademarks for the original World League of American Football franchises have expired. Trademark protection on the majority of them ran out in 1999.

since you are starting a business, you should be consulting an attorney regardless.

If you use the logos/print shirts-uniforms for yourself, there shouldn't be an issue.

If you attempt to profit from the logos, you'll run into trouble down the line.

I agree, consult an attorney.

(Info based on lawsuit in Kansas City Court when a man tried to sell the Old Kansas City Kings items - the logo is property of the NBA)

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived