NFL playoffs

GriffinM6

Oh, stop. Luckman played when everyone was fighting a war, including Luckman. He is, however, the greatest Jew ever to play the game, and hey, that's gotta count for something?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sid Luckman was a good quarterback regardless of faith or race. He completed 51.8% of his passes for 14,686 yards and 137 touchdowns with 134 interceptions (all of those numbers were really high back in that era). Not to mention he averaged 8.4 yards per attempt, which was second all-time only to Otto Graham (8.6), and his career touchdown rate (percentage of pass attempts that result in touchdowns) of 7.9% is easily the best in history.

In 1943, he completed 110 of 202 passes for 2194 yards and 28 touchdowns. His 13.9% touchdown rate that year is the best ever in a single-season, while his 10.9 yards per attempt is second all-time. During one game that year, he threw for 443 yards and seven touchdowns, still tied for the most passing touchdowns in one game. By the way, it was also the first 400-yard passing game in NFL history. Also his 28 touchdown passes in 1943 (in only 10 games) was a record that lasted for many years.

He led the NFL in yards per attempt an NFL record seven times, including a record five-straight years from 1939 to 1943, and led the NFL in passing yards three times. Along with being a five-time All-NFL selection, was named the National Football League's Most Valuable Player Award in 1943, and led the Chicago Bears to four NFL Championships. Despite the fact that his career ended in 1950, Sid Luckman still owns most major Bears' passing records, including career yards and touchdowns.

Just because he played in the World War II era doesn't mean he wasn't a great quarterback either. Peyton Manning as of today has a sub-.500 mark in the playoffs, and Tom Brady lost a Super Bowl finally. That doesn't mean they're any less of a quarterback, and it's unlikely to be brought up when they both go to the Hall of Fame.

Although Fox selectively showed Cutler looking like he wasn't paying attention, he talked to both Collins and Hanie during the game, gave them advise on the defense the Packers were playing, and looked over photos with them. He wasn't sitting in the corner pouting the whole game.

This is what people forget or don't realize. Football games have directors. The telecasters control our reality. If the director of Fox Sports wants to craft the narrative of Jay Cutler pouting on the sideline without helping his backups or in any way looking involved, then that is all that we'll be allowed to see. If the producers of ESPN want to push the idea of Jay Cutler being a quitter, then they'll get in the earpieces of all the concussed ex-jocks at the desk and that's all we'll be allowed to hear.

It's Cutler's job at that point not to buy into the narrative. He spends that much time standing on the sidelines bundled up in a coat, and of course that's the story they're going to tell.

09000d5d81dde0d2_gallery_600.jpg

If you're not actively working with the replacement QBs, then get a headset. Stay involved. Take the damn cape off - if you're cold get a coaches' jacket. Every time the camera pans to you, they should catch you doing something, even if it's only pep-talking firing up the players on the sideline. You're the team's leader, look like it.

Tom Brady knows that. And that's why he gets the good coverage.

I don't claim to know exactly what they were, but in the closeups of Cutler he had what appeared to be iPod earbuds in, at least there were earbud-type cords leading up to his ears (which were under his hat). Maybe it was the playcalls or whatever but usually you have to wear a standard headset or hold your helmet up (or wear it) to hear the coaches.

58977706.jpg

In fairness I can only see a cord on one side so maybe he wasn't jamming to Lady Gaga. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Hold on there. Wasn't the media ready to crown him "Best QB in Bears History © " as soon as he was traded?

As for the Elway comment, I have news for you. If you're a Broncos QB you better have at least two Super Bowls with Denver under your belt before you start saying you're better then Elway in ANY respect.

The local media did somewhat, but the national media did more piling on and complaining how demanding the trade "showed poor character" and proved his immaturity. Cutler was branded the spoiled brat and the biggest jerk ever.

I'm going to have to call bs on this. Sorry.

I don't get local Chicago media, and even I heard the "Cutler is the greatest Bears QB" stuff after he was traded. Every time the Bears win all I hear from the guys at ESPN is how good Cuter is, and how he's "living up to expectations." When the Bears lose he gets criticized to be sure (as he sometimes should be), but it's always in the most flattering way possible. The most common criticism I hear of the guy following a Bears loss is "he needs to be more consistent and make better decisions, but if he does that the Bears will be fine." Hardly taking the guy to town.

I'm in agreement with Goth here. Cutler isn't a quitter, he had a serious injury and did the smart thing by leaving the game. All the ex-jocks on ESPN's payroll slamming him are, to be honest, idiots. That being said, I don't buy the "they've always had it out for him" sentiment for a second. He was injured, yes. He still played into the part of the downtrodden quitter, however. Image is everything, and Cutler certainly didn't help his image.

If anything the intense negative reaction from the media surprises me, because I've been so used to them singing his praises. I guess they saw him bundled up in a coat listening to his iPod on the sidelines and pulled a 180 for the juicy story. It's certainly not Cutler's fault for sitting out. It is, however, his fault for playing into a role that would get him as slammed as he has been.

As for the Elway thing, I agree that it was very stupid of him. He said he had a stronger arm than Elway, and maybe he does, I don't know. Still, who freaking cares? It was a dumb thing to say, but it was hardly inflammatory. In Cutler's time in Chicago he has done nothing but get pounded by the national and local media. He hasn't been brash or said anything dumb, yet the media writes how he "doesn't care" and "isn't emotional enough to be a leader" and such rubbish.

Again, I disagree completely regarding the media's treatment of Cutler since his trade to the Bears.

As for the Elway remark? It wasn't inflammatory, but it was still a stupid thing to say. Expect the media and fans to jump all over you when you're the franchise's QB and you say something stupid.

Hold on there. Wasn't the media ready to crown him "Best QB in Bears History © " as soon as he was traded?

As for the Elway comment, I have news for you. If you're a Broncos QB you better have at least two Super Bowls with Denver under your belt before you start saying you're better then Elway in ANY respect.

The local media did somewhat, but the national media did more piling on and complaining how demanding the trade "showed poor character" and proved his immaturity. Cutler was branded the spoiled brat and the biggest jerk ever. As for the Elway thing, I agree that it was very stupid of him. He said he had a stronger arm than Elway, and maybe he does, I don't know. Still, who freaking cares? It was a dumb thing to say, but it was hardly inflammatory. In Cutler's time in Chicago he has done nothing but get pounded by the national and local media. He hasn't been brash or said anything dumb, yet the media writes how he "doesn't care" and "isn't emotional enough to be a leader" and such rubbish.

I'm backing Roman here, because he's clearly right about Cutler. Take it from someone who lives where Cutler used to play, they (the Bronco fans) NEVER liked him, nor have they EVER liked any quarterback since John Elway. Yes, he did get the franchise their first two Super Bowls...

The franchise's only two Super Bowls. If you don't think that's an important distinction, think again.

...and is a Hall of Fame quarterback, and that much is true. But once Bubby Brister took over, and by the way he was responsible for more than half of the 1998 Broncos' wins that year NOT Elway, the fans and local media tore him to shreds the first time he had a bad game. They've torn apart Brian Griese, Jake Plummer (highest winning percentage in Broncos history until he was ran off), Jay Culter, Kyle Orton, and they will do the same to Tim Tebow. Truthfully, they're just as bad to the quarterback as Philadelphia and New York are with theirs. If you've ever watched the SportsCentury about John Elway, you would clearly classify the local fans and media as borderline psychotic, overly-obsessive, and with their treatment of anyone who actually does a good job for the team, mean-spirited and delusional.

We all know about Elway's accomplishments, and it's nothing to label as average, but most teams move on after their superstar hasn't played for more than 10 years. When you go to games at Invesco, people wear as many Elway jerseys as they do CURRENT players. And they're ignorant of doing so, because to quote Rick Pitino... "John Elway ain't walkin' through that door." The local media and fans are too stupid to realize it.

Did Brister, Griese, Plummer, Cutler, or Orton ever manage to win the team a Super Bowl? Has Orton even managed a winning season? Did Cutler ever manage to lead the team to a playoff appearance? No, no, and no. Brister, who was in fact a big part of the 1998 Broncos season, failed to do much of anything once he was made "the guy." Heck, the only two guys you listed who could be considered to have done a good job are Griese and Plummer.

Fact is, like Elway or not, he is one of the best to play the position. No Broncos QB since him has managed to match what he's done. I don't blame Broncos fans for continuing to hold onto memories from a time when the team was actually the class of the NFL. If any post-Elway Broncos QB had managed a single Super Bowl victory those rabid Elway feelings would have been tempered. They haven't managed that, however. So as a Broncos QB it's the smart thing to do to NOT go around saying you're better then Elway in ANY respect until you manage to win something worthwhile.

Jay Cutler has been immature, and everyone knows that, but we also know that the media does tend to gang up on players that aren't overly talkative at the sessions, and even resorting to lies or rumors (half-truths) to get them to open up. Yeah, he didn't do himself any favors going to the third largest media market in the United States, but I have to say that this talk of him being a :censored:, a quitter, and all this crap... is just that, crap. Hopefully the kid can rebound from this and not let it get to him, because he's not a bad guy or quarterback in the least.

Again I dispute the notion that Cutler's been "ganged up on" since arriving in Chicago. In fact I would say the opposite has been true. He's been praised at almost every turn. This whole "quitting" incident is the first I've seen the national media actually go after him.

While he was right to take himself out of the game, he did provide the necessary images to make the quitter line possible.

The local media did somewhat, but the national media did more piling on and complaining how demanding the trade "showed poor character" and proved his immaturity. Cutler was branded the spoiled brat and the biggest jerk ever. As for the Elway thing, I agree that it was very stupid of him. He said he had a stronger arm than Elway, and maybe he does, I don't know. Still, who freaking cares? It was a dumb thing to say, but it was hardly inflammatory. In Cutler's time in Chicago he has done nothing but get pounded by the national and local media. He hasn't been brash or said anything dumb, yet the media writes how he "doesn't care" and "isn't emotional enough to be a leader" and such rubbish.

I'm backing Roman here, because he's clearly right about Cutler. Take it from someone who lives where Cutler used to play, they (the Bronco fans) NEVER liked him, nor have they EVER liked any quarterback since John Elway. Yes, he did get the franchise their first two Super Bowls...

The franchise's only two Super Bowls. If you don't think that's an important distinction, think again.

It may just be the diction here that's causing me to read this wrong, because I take from that you two might think the Broncos have only been to two Super Bowls.

That said, let's backtrack here. Prior to 1997, even while he was in the midst of engineering all those comeback drives (apologies to Browns fans for bringing that up), the one knock on Elway was that he couldn't win the BIG ONE, having lost three SB's in the late '80s/early '90s timeframe (one of which was the most lopsided loss in SB history). It wasn't until that 1997 season that he helicoptered himself into NFL lore.

But yeah--Drakonius only confirmed something I've long suspected about Broncos fans: they can't/refuse to get over Elway.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm going to have to call bs on this. Sorry.

I don't get local Chicago media, and even I heard the "Cutler is the greatest Bears QB" stuff after he was traded. Every time the Bears win all I hear from the guys at ESPN is how good Cuter is, and how he's "living up to expectations." When the Bears lose he gets criticized to be sure (as he sometimes should be), but it's always in the most flattering way possible. The most common criticism I hear of the guy following a Bears loss is "he needs to be more consistent and make better decisions, but if he does that the Bears will be fine." Hardly taking the guy to town.

I'm in agreement with Goth here. Cutler isn't a quitter, he had a serious injury and did the smart thing by leaving the game. All the ex-jocks on ESPN's payroll slamming him are, to be honest, idiots. That being said, I don't buy the "they've always had it out for him" sentiment for a second. He was injured, yes. He still played into the part of the downtrodden quitter, however. Image is everything, and Cutler certainly didn't help his image.

If anything the intense negative reaction from the media surprises me, because I've been so used to them singing his praises. I guess they saw him bundled up in a coat listening to his iPod on the sidelines and pulled a 180 for the juicy story. It's certainly not Cutler's fault for sitting out. It is, however, his fault for playing into a role that would get him as slammed as he has been.

Well, we will wait for more Chicagoans to comment. I don't know where you were hearing/seeing Cutler praise. Mark Schlereth pouted on TV and called Cutler a dirty poopoo head for leaving his beloved Broncos. Tony Dungy ripped into Cutler, blaming him completely for the trade and saying it showed immaturity and a lack of leadership. The national media piled on how Cutler was immature and "JUST TOO DAMN COCKY!" Cutler struggled and the media portrayed him as a recluse, a bad teammate, a bad leader and a terrible person. The Chicago media was pretty good to him until the 2009 season started. He then started getting ripped apart. The Tribune's Bears beat reporter David Haugh has had a raging hard-on for Kyle Orton, so after every loss or game where Cutler threw a pic, he would say "we gave up the beautiful Kyle Orton and first round draft picks for this?!" and call Cutler a fraud. There was a lot of smarm from the media to the tune of "I thought we traded for a GOOD quarterback?" The media took their old "good Rex, bad Rex" phrase and applied it to Cutler. Honestly, the Chicago media's treatment of Cutler is what Brittney Spears received in South Park. The media is marching towards him like zombies looking for his blood. They won't stop until Cutler is sacrificed.

As for this year, he got ripped pretty steadily on ESPN. Trent Dilfer, who apparently is upset because Cutler has more talent than he did and didn't follow Trent's first round bust path, has assumed the blowhard tough-guy role once filled by Sean Sallisbury. About the most positive thing he said about Cutler was that he has talent. He rips his fundamentals all the time and claims he isn't a good QB. Late in the season Dilfer said the Bears had no shot at the Super Bowl because "You can win games like that in the regular season, but you need a QB in the playoffs. You can't win a championship with a great defense and special teams with nothing on offense." Not only did the Bears have a respectable offense, but this moron apparently forgot his life story! He won a Super Bowl playing horrible QB for a great defensive Ravens team. The whole season, ESPN was cold on the Bears because "you never know when he is going to blow up and throw 4 interceptions". I honestly don't remeber hearing much of anything positive about him, and a few members of the media (Schlereth, Dilfer and Haugh) have personal grudges against him.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Late in the season Dilfer said the Bears had no shot at the Super Bowl because "You can win games like that in the regular season, but you need a QB in the playoffs. You can't win a championship with a great defense and special teams with nothing on offense." Not only did the Bears have a respectable offense, but this moron apparently forgot his life story! He won a Super Bowl playing horrible QB for a great defensive Ravens team.

Oh man. Terrific.

While he was right to take himself out of the game, he did provide the necessary images to make the quitter line possible.

He didn't take himself out. He went back in on a bad knee and couldn't throw the ball, so he was taken out.

This is a lot like the Derek Anderson silliness of earlier this year, but with much higher stakes, this being the NFC Championship and "quitter" being the worst possible thing you can call a pro athlete. It's another "perception is reality" nightmare at the hands of people who overly rely on the production and direction of the telecast for their opinions, and have somewhere along the way come up with the notion that football players who have in one way or another left the battlefield in shame must be displaying constant and unwavering agony for the audience.

Well, we will wait for more Chicagoans to comment. I don't know where you were hearing/seeing Cutler praise.

ESPN, Fox, CBS.

Mark Schlereth pouted on TV and called Cutler a dirty poopoo head for leaving his beloved Broncos. Tony Dungy ripped into Cutler, blaming him completely for the trade and saying it showed immaturity and a lack of leadership. The national media piled on how Cutler was immature and "JUST TOO DAMN COCKY!" Cutler struggled and the media portrayed him as a recluse, a bad teammate, a bad leader and a terrible person. The Chicago media was pretty good to him until the 2009 season started. He then started getting ripped apart. The Tribune's Bears beat reporter David Haugh has had a raging hard-on for Kyle Orton, so after every loss or game where Cutler threw a pic, he would say "we gave up the beautiful Kyle Orton and first round draft picks for this?!" and call Cutler a fraud. There was a lot of smarm from the media to the tune of "I thought we traded for a GOOD quarterback?" The media took their old "good Rex, bad Rex" phrase and applied it to Cutler. Honestly, the Chicago media's treatment of Cutler is what Brittney Spears received in South Park. The media is marching towards him like zombies looking for his blood. They won't stop until Cutler is sacrificed.

Like I said, the local Chicago media isn't what I'm concerned with. I don't live in the area, I hear/read nothing from it. I'm just telling you what I've witnessed. From what I've seen the national media, a few notable personalities aside, has had a pretty favourable opinion of him.

As for this year, he got ripped pretty steadily on ESPN.

Actually this season, to me, seemed like they were signing his praises more then ever, because the Bears were actually living up to last season's expectations. When he won he was praised. When he lost he praised in a manner that seemed like criticism.

Trent Dilfer, who apparently is upset because Cutler has more talent than he did and didn't follow Trent's first round bust path, has assumed the blowhard tough-guy role once filled by Sean Sallisbury. About the most positive thing he said about Cutler was that he has talent. He rips his fundamentals all the time and claims he isn't a good QB. Late in the season Dilfer said the Bears had no shot at the Super Bowl because "You can win games like that in the regular season, but you need a QB in the playoffs. You can't win a championship with a great defense and special teams with nothing on offense." Not only did the Bears have a respectable offense, but this moron apparently forgot his life story! He won a Super Bowl playing horrible QB for a great defensive Ravens team.

Trent Dilfer's 1) an idiot and 2) not all of ESPN. He has been critical of Cutler, but I've found that he's been the exception on the network, rather then the rule.

As for Dilfer's life story, well you're wrong, to be honest. He wasn't a horrible QB for the Ravens. He was a serviceable QB. He managed to not screw anything up. He had a role, and he filled it.

The whole season, ESPN was cold on the Bears because "you never know when he is going to blow up and throw 4 interceptions". I honestly don't remeber hearing much of anything positive about him, and a few members of the media (Schlereth, Dilfer and Haugh) have personal grudges against him.

I remember hearing a lot of "he's finally playing at the level we all thought he could play at" when the Bears were winning. When they lost I heard a lot of "he's going to have to be more consistent and make better decisions. If he can do that he'll be a great quarterback."

The "you never know when he'll blow up and throw four interceptions" was, honestly, born out of the second one. He was inconsistent so you can't blame them for asking "which Jay Cutler will we get?" before each game.

He didn't take himself out. He went back in on a bad knee and couldn't throw the ball, so he was taken out.

This is a lot like the Derek Anderson silliness of earlier this year, but with much higher stakes, this being the NFC Championship and "quitter" being the worst possible thing you can call a pro athlete. It's another "perception is reality" nightmare at the hands of people who overly rely on the production and direction of the telecast for their opinions, and have somewhere along the way come up with the notion that football players who have in one way or another left the battlefield in shame must be displaying constant and unwavering agony for the audience.

The difference is that Derek Anderson was grilled for daring to show emotion during a game. Jay Cutler was grilled for, essentially, curling up into a ball and remaining quiet after he was taken out.

I agree, both media reactions were idiotic. If you're a pro football player in this day and age, however, you should be aware of the "perception is reality" rule. Don't want to be portrayed as a quitter? Don't give the media a means to do so.

...and is a Hall of Fame quarterback, and that much is true. But once Bubby Brister took over, and by the way he was responsible for more than half of the 1998 Broncos' wins that year NOT Elway, the fans and local media tore him to shreds the first time he had a bad game. They've torn apart Brian Griese, Jake Plummer (highest winning percentage in Broncos history until he was ran off), Jay Culter, Kyle Orton, and they will do the same to Tim Tebow. Truthfully, they're just as bad to the quarterback as Philadelphia and New York are with theirs. If you've ever watched the SportsCentury about John Elway, you would clearly classify the local fans and media as borderline psychotic, overly-obsessive, and with their treatment of anyone who actually does a good job for the team, mean-spirited and delusional.

We all know about Elway's accomplishments, and it's nothing to label as average, but most teams move on after their superstar hasn't played for more than 10 years. When you go to games at Invesco, people wear as many Elway jerseys as they do CURRENT players. And they're ignorant of doing so, because to quote Rick Pitino... "John Elway ain't walkin' through that door." The local media and fans are too stupid to realize it.

Did Brister, Griese, Plummer, Cutler, or Orton ever manage to win the team a Super Bowl? Has Orton even managed a winning season? Did Cutler ever manage to lead the team to a playoff appearance? No, no, and no. Brister, who was in fact a big part of the 1998 Broncos season, failed to do much of anything once he was made "the guy." Heck, the only two guys you listed who could be considered to have done a good job are Griese and Plummer.

Fact is, like Elway or not, he is one of the best to play the position. No Broncos QB since him has managed to match what he's done. I don't blame Broncos fans for continuing to hold onto memories from a time when the team was actually the class of the NFL. If any post-Elway Broncos QB had managed a single Super Bowl victory those rabid Elway feelings would have been tempered. They haven't managed that, however. So as a Broncos QB it's the smart thing to do to NOT go around saying you're better then Elway in ANY respect until you manage to win something worthwhile.

Jay Cutler has been immature, and everyone knows that, but we also know that the media does tend to gang up on players that aren't overly talkative at the sessions, and even resorting to lies or rumors (half-truths) to get them to open up. Yeah, he didn't do himself any favors going to the third largest media market in the United States, but I have to say that this talk of him being a :censored:, a quitter, and all this crap... is just that, crap. Hopefully the kid can rebound from this and not let it get to him, because he's not a bad guy or quarterback in the least.

Again I dispute the notion that Cutler's been "ganged up on" since arriving in Chicago. In fact I would say the opposite has been true. He's been praised at almost every turn. This whole "quitting" incident is the first I've seen the national media actually go after him.

First off, that's what I meant by my last post, Elway is a great quarterback and yes, his two Super Bowls are an incredible accomplishment. He's arguably a Top 5 quarterback of all-time. But here's what I'm getting at - none of those quarterbacks were given a chance. I could see Brister being blasted by the media and fans, because that was a team that had just won two-straight Super Bowls, but it was also an aging team and one that suffered a rash of unfortunate injuries (Davis' freak knee-injury, McCaffery's broken leg, etc.). He never truly had that same team around him that Elway enjoyed, and was gone after one year. Griese, despite leading the Broncos back into the playoffs in 2000, only to lose to the eventual Super Bowl Champion, Baltimore Ravens, was ran out of town shortly after the 2000 season, because accordingly to the media and fans here Elway wouldn't have lost to the Ravens. Yes, I'm sure a 40 year-old Elway would've held up well against that 2000 Ravens Defense. :rolleyes: Jake Plummer was instantly labeled as a bum and retread by the media and fans here before he even took a snap, and once he couldn't recapture the magic of the 2005 NFL Season, he was done. So finally, the Broncos draft Jay Cutler to be the savior of the franchise (Elway comment aside) and every game the would feature a side-by-side comparison that he started the Elway in the Denver Post, only highlighting (and Cutler often beat Elway statistically speaking) every area he didn't do as well then. None of them realized that despite his numbers, their defense was one of the worst in the league. Kind of tough to win every game 42-41 (being a Chargers fan and probably remembering the Air Coryell era, I think you can understand that). So now, we come to Kyle Orton who led the team to a 6-0 mark at the beginning of the 2009 NFL Season, but still, despite his good start, the media and fans complained he didn't throw for enough yards in his first 6 starts for the Broncos. Yes, I'm sure a 51 year-old Elway would've passed for 500 yards. :rolleyes: By the way, when Kyle Orton took his first snaps in practice and his first throw in a scrimmage was an incomplete pass - I was there, listening to... "You :censored: suck!" "You're no, Elway!" "My daughter could've done better!" "You'll never be anything!" "You were a loser in Chicago, and you'll be a loser here!"

One, yes, one incomplete pass caused that kind of reaction. Sorry, Ice, but you're wrong on defending these people... if you can call them that. As I said before, I'm not comparing Cutler or the other quarterbacks to Elway, and never would. But the fact is, he was unfairly branded "a loser" here in Denver and those critics (i.e. the mouth-breather, Mark Schlereth) just wait for a chance to pile on whenever they can. Maybe Cutler will get a better offensive line and more weapons through the draft or free-agency, maybe he will win 100 games as a Bears quarterbacks, or perhaps a Super Bowl or two, and maybe he won't. But this unfair treatment of him started in Denver, and has followed him by way of the national media (Chicago has been gracious, I know that).

Yes, his first NFC Championship was pretty bad, but that doesn't mean he's not a good quarterback or won't ever be good. Let's be honest, if he had a good performance against the Packers and still lost... it's their rival, and it's a chance to go to the Super Bowl, but the vitriol would've been just as bad. This injury situation just brought it out more. Regardless, this situation, while fun to write out, has been blown way out of proportion.

Makes me appreciate Aaron Rodgers even more. The transition out of the Brett Favre era could have been even messier, but he did a lot to calm the waters. Great on the field, incredibly classy off it.

I wonder if, had Cutler been the slightest bit interested in the way others saw him, the Broncos could have been so lucky?

It may just be the diction here that's causing me to read this wrong, because I take from that you two might think the Broncos have only been to two Super Bowls.

That said, let's backtrack here. Prior to 1997, even while he was in the midst of engineering all those comeback drives (apologies to Browns fans for bringing that up), the one knock on Elway was that he couldn't win the BIG ONE, having lost three SB's in the late '80s/early '90s timeframe (one of which was the most lopsided loss in SB history). It wasn't until that 1997 season that he helicoptered himself into NFL lore.

But yeah--Drakonius only confirmed something I've long suspected about Broncos fans: they can't/refuse to get over Elway.

Pretty much.

Remember too that the great John Elway did win 2 Super Bowls, lost 3 Super Bowls, and only played well in one of them (Super Bowl XXXIII), despite what you might hear from the media or Bronco fans.

By the way, Gothamite. I agree with you. Seeing what they do to quarterbacks here, I'm so grateful to have seen Brett Favre, Tom Brady, and Aaron Rodgers on my favorite teams. It's wonderful to remember the glory years like most fans like to do with their teams, but it's a whole different story to expect an exact recreation of that kind of excellence. If Rodgers does manage to win a Super Bowl, that's three amazing quarterbacks that the Packers have had (Starr, Favre, Rodgers). That's quite an amazing run of quarterbacking excellence.

Now that we're into waiting two weeks for the big game, who misses the old days when there was only one week between the conference championship and the SB?

I actually don't mind it. It makes the Pro Bowl slightly less irrelevant.

By the way, Gothamite. I agree with you. Seeing what they do to quarterbacks here, I'm so grateful to have seen Brett Favre, Tom Brady, and Aaron Rodgers on my favorite teams. It's wonderful to remember the glory years like most fans like to do with their teams, but it's a whole different story to expect an exact recreation of that kind of excellence. If Rodgers does manage to win a Super Bowl, that's three amazing quarterbacks that the Packers have had (Starr, Favre, Rodgers). That's quite an amazing run of quarterbacking excellence.

Add Arnie Herber to the list, and I'll agree with you. ;)

Makes me appreciate Aaron Rodgers even more. The transition out of the Brett Favre era could have been even messier, but he did a lot to calm the waters. Great on the field, incredibly classy off it.

I wonder if, had Cutler been the slightest bit interested in the way others saw him, the Broncos could have been so lucky?

Broncos fans didn't like him because he wasn't Elway, and their hotshot wizkid dumbass new coach came in and tried to trade the Pro Bowler Cutler for Matt Cassel. Cutler went about things wrong (he admitted so), but a new (colossal failure of a) coach came in and wanted his QB. Other than the stronger arm than Elway comment, I haven't read one single reason why Cutler is the bad guy. He is just an ass, just a bad teammate and of course he isn't a leader, but I have never once heard the media explain why. Cutler is to the point where he is AJ Pierzynski - fans of other teams hate him and they don't even know why. Pretty soon we will hear a fabricated story how Cutler punched a trainer in the junk, and people will believe it because "he is an :censored:" and it seems like something he would do based on them being told before that he was an :censored:. So, how does Cutler disregard the way that others see him, and how did that force him out of Denver?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

He is just an ass, just a bad teammate and of course he isn't a leader, but I have never once heard the media explain why.

Sure we have. Surely you read the Rick Reilly hit job (the factual basis of which hasn't been questioned). Cutler has been distant to his teammates, disdainful of the club's veterans, publicly indifferent to his leadership responsibilities and snubbed godlike former players on his old team.

Does that make him a bad quarterback? No. But it does make him an ass, a bad teammate and not a leader.

As far as what he was or was not doing on the sidelines, I still say he brought it on himself. I really hate Tom Brady, but I don't know that I've ever see him just stand there on the sidelines looking bored when a game's on the line. Part of a leader means putting on a game face. At least take off the stupid cape. And I know that perception isn't always reality, but for them to cut to Cutler so many times and find him standing alone means that he was actually spending most of the rest of the game not activly working with his replacements or the coaches.

I will say that I'm sickened by the number of people who are trying to insult him with references to femininity. The notion of womanhood as weakness only holds up until you meet an actual woman.

I'd be disdainful of Olin Kreutz too if I kept getting pancaked behind him or dealing with his dwindling ability to snap a football, and when your receivers seemingly live on another planet like Knox and Hester do, everyone is distant. It's so hard to assess anything interpersonal about Cutler when he's so thoroughly surrounded by jackasses.

Know what's sweet about the Packers making the SB? I remember feeling bad for Aaron Rodgers at the NFL draft as they called name after name and he just sat there looking more and more uncomfortable and embarassed. Between that and the Favre thing, good for him.

And to think now that the Niners took Alex Smith at #1. :blink:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I'd be disdainful of Olin Kreutz too if I kept getting pancaked behind him or dealing with his dwindling ability to snap a football, and when your receivers seemingly live on another planet like Knox and Hester do, everyone is distant. It's so hard to assess anything interpersonal about Cutler when he's so thoroughly surrounded by jackasses.

Then I'm even more confused to why he's distant to his teammates...if they're all jackasses and he's a complete jackass then they should get along swimmingly, right? A bunch of jackasses partaking in jackassery. Sounds like a recipie for good locker room chemisty to me. Go figure. Maybe they're just an ultra competitive bunch of jackasses having a who's the biggest jackass contest and Cutler's winning.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived