NFL playoffs

GriffinM6

Completely unrelated to Jets/Steelers, but I just remembered something. Remember when Jay Cutler called out Philip Rivers for "the way he carries himself on the field"?

Well, let's compare:

2007 AFC Championship Game - Hobbled by a torn ligament in his knee, Philip Rivers still plays against the 18-0 Patriots. Despite his bad injury and the lack of LT, he still manages to throw for 211 yards against an 17-0 Patriots team that quite frankly, should have absolutely demolished the Chargers. The game was remarkably close (21-12) considering Rivers' injury and how unstoppable the Patriots were that year (until the Super Bowl).

2011 NFC Championship Game - A completely healthy Jay Cutler takes the field against the 10-6 wildcard Packers. He lays an egg during the first half, putting up a whopping 80 yards passing and a miserable 31.8 QB rating, and then has a mysterious "knee injury" that requires him to be pulled from the game. Obviously it wasn't too serious as he was shown standing up on the sidelines later in the game. Third-string quarterback Caleb Hanie embarrasses him by almost pulling out the victory for the Bears.

Who carries themselves better on the field? I'd say Rivers by a country mile.

Okay, now for the real story. Rivers suffered the injury in the Divisional round against the Colts. He left the game in the third quarter with the Chargers DOWN. Billy Volek lead a comeback to beat the Colts. After a week of getting sufficiently doped up and likely getting a custom knee brace made, Rivers went out and toughed it out against the Pats.

Cutler suffered the torn MCL and left the game. It has been reported that Cutler may have been ready to go had the Bears made the Super Bowl. For the blowhards like Trent Dilfer screaming "He should have taken vicodin, gotten a cortizone shot and gotten back out there," that wasn't a possibility. Cutler is a type 1 diabetic, so getting a cortizone shot would have raised his glucose to a dangerous level. The guy takes injections 5 times a day and test his blood after every drive. He lied about having a concussion earlier in the year because he didn't want to leave the game. He got the crap beaten out of him behind the worst O-line in football the last two years, and never once complained about it. Questioning his toughness is bull.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although Fox selectively showed Cutler looking like he wasn't paying attention, he talked to both Collins and Hanie during the game, gave them advise on the defense the Packers were playing, and looked over photos with them. He wasn't sitting in the corner pouting the whole game.

This is what people forget or don't realize. Football games have directors. The telecasters control our reality. If the director of Fox Sports wants to craft the narrative of Jay Cutler pouting on the sideline without helping his backups or in any way looking involved, then that is all that we'll be allowed to see. If the producers of ESPN want to push the idea of Jay Cutler being a quitter, then they'll get in the earpieces of all the concussed ex-jocks at the desk and that's all we'll be allowed to hear.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Jason Whitlock believes the Bears are lying about Cutler having suffered a Grade 2 MCL strain, because it's in the team's interest to shield the player who intentionally quit on them in a conference championship game.

Go ahead, let the logic of that one try to soak in. Nice and deep.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Although Fox selectively showed Cutler looking like he wasn't paying attention, he talked to both Collins and Hanie during the game, gave them advise on the defense the Packers were playing, and looked over photos with them. He wasn't sitting in the corner pouting the whole game.

This is what people forget or don't realize. Football games have directors. The telecasters control our reality. If the director of Fox Sports wants to craft the narrative of Jay Cutler pouting on the sideline without helping his backups or in any way looking involved, then that is all that we'll be allowed to see. If the producers of ESPN want to push the idea of Jay Cutler being a quitter, then they'll get in the earpieces of all the concussed ex-jocks at the desk and that's all we'll be allowed to hear.

It's Cutler's job at that point not to buy into the narrative. He spends that much time standing on the sidelines bundled up in a coat, and of course that's the story they're going to tell.

09000d5d81dde0d2_gallery_600.jpg

If you're not actively working with the replacement QBs, then get a headset. Stay involved. Take the damn cape off - if you're cold get a coaches' jacket. Every time the camera pans to you, they should catch you doing something, even if it's only pep-talking firing up the players on the sideline. You're the team's leader, look like it.

Tom Brady knows that. And that's why he gets the good coverage.

Cutler was practically personally mentoring Caleb Hanie in-between series. It was decided that did not need to be shown, because 15 seconds of patented Jay Cutler mopeyface framed the preferred narrative.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Cutler was practically personally mentoring Caleb Hanie in-between series. It was decided that did not need to be shown, because 15 seconds of patented Jay Cutler mopeyface framed the preferred narrative.

I was just about to say, I know I saw Cutler & the other 2 QBs talking to each other for like 2 shots. This whole "O CUTLUR WAS SULKIN ON TEH SIDELINES" stuff is kinda ridiculous.

Jason Whitlock believes the Bears are lying about Cutler having suffered a Grade 2 MCL strain, because it's in the team's interest to shield the player who intentionally quit on them in a conference championship game.

And by doing so they deprived Jeff George of an opportunity to get back into the NFL.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Its like do you really want to continue with a quarterback who is struggling and hurt his knee, or put in a backup who can move and actually be more help then Cutler in his current state. Hanie did OK against the Packers and at least made the game somewhat interesting.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

If you're not actively working with the replacement QBs, then get a headset. Stay involved. Take the damn cape off - if you're cold get a coaches' jacket. Every time the camera pans to you, they should catch you doing something, even if it's only pep-talking firing up the players on the sideline. You're the team's leader, look like it.

Cutler WAS actively working with the backup QBs. Hanie said so on the radio yesterday. Instead of showing him when he was talking to Hanie and going over formations, they showed him when he was standing on the sidelines watching the game. How DARE he watch the game.

It is a story because the media dislikes Cutler. He is portrayed as a bad guy and a whiner. He has taken an absolute beating behind a terrible line the last two years and never once complained. He didn't point fingers at his receivers for continually dropping easy passes, bobbling passes which got picked, cutting off or forgetting their routes, and putting up no fight at all for a ball when a defender was also going for it. After Pittsburgh beat the Colts in the 2005 playoffs, Peyton Manning cried and pointed fingers at his offensive line (which was the best in football) because he got sacked a few times. The media loves Manning, so they never portrayed him as a whiner or a choker. Tom Brady is one of the biggest pricks in football in press conferences. I haven't seen a single Brady press conference where he wasn't sneering, condescending, and talking down to media members. He is never portrayed as the the bad guy. Both of them are obviously better quarterbacks than Cutler, but the media covers their transgressions instead of making up additional ones.

The only "negative" things Cutler did was claim he had a stronger arm than Elway and ask out of Denver after they tried to trade him. He is cocky? Big deal, lots of players are. Tony Dungy thought Cutler broke some divine code by asking for a trade. Mark Schlereth was butthurt that Jay wanted to get away from his beloved Broncos. Of course, Schlereth didn't seem to mind that John Elway had done the same thing to get into Denver in the first place. The media jumped on Jay with the trade and stayed all over him because he had a bad season last year. They wanted blood, and wouldn't be pleased unless he said "I played like crap and am the worst QB ever" after throwing a pic and losing a game. Seriously, the friggin media got upset that he went out to a fancy restaurant with his girlfriend after a game he lost.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Conan just made a joke about this being the first ever SuperBowl without cheerleaders, because neither team has them. Does anyone know if this is actually true?

Can't speak for the Steelers, but the Packers haven't had them for decades. They use cheerleaders from UW-Green Bay from time to time (male and female) but don't have their own squad.

Cutler WAS actively working with the backup QBs. Hanie said so on the radio yesterday. Instead of showing him when he was talking to Hanie and going over formations, they showed him when he was standing on the sidelines watching the game. How DARE he watch the game.

It is a story because the media dislikes Cutler. He is portrayed as a bad guy and a whiner. He has taken an absolute beating behind a terrible line the last two years and never once complained. He didn't point fingers at his receivers for continually dropping easy passes, bobbling passes which got picked, cutting off or forgetting their routes, and putting up no fight at all for a ball when a defender was also going for it. After Pittsburgh beat the Colts in the 2005 playoffs, Peyton Manning cried and pointed fingers at his offensive line (which was the best in football) because he got sacked a few times. The media loves Manning, so they never portrayed him as a whiner or a choker. Tom Brady is one of the biggest pricks in football in press conferences. I haven't seen a single Brady press conference where he wasn't sneering, condescending, and talking down to media members. He is never portrayed as the the bad guy. Both of them are obviously better quarterbacks than Cutler, but the media covers their transgressions instead of making up additional ones.

The only "negative" things Cutler did was claim he had a stronger arm than Elway and ask out of Denver after they tried to trade him. He is cocky? Big deal, lots of players are. Tony Dungy thought Cutler broke some divine code by asking for a trade. Mark Schlereth was butthurt that Jay wanted to get away from his beloved Broncos. Of course, Schlereth didn't seem to mind that John Elway had done the same thing to get into Denver in the first place. The media jumped on Jay with the trade and stayed all over him because he had a bad season last year. They wanted blood, and wouldn't be pleased unless he said "I played like crap and am the worst QB ever" after throwing a pic and losing a game. Seriously, the friggin media got upset that he went out to a fancy restaurant with his girlfriend after a game he lost.

Hold on there. Wasn't the media ready to crown him "Best QB in Bears History © " as soon as he was traded?

As for the Elway comment, I have news for you. If you're a Broncos QB you better have at least two Super Bowls with Denver under your belt before you start saying you're better then Elway in ANY respect.

He is the best quarterback in Bears history, which is a damning indictment of Bears history.

I was gonna mention Sid Luckman, but then I remembered that there was no pro football before the merger :D

Granted I'm not that well versed in Bears history. Is Cutler really better then Jim McMahon?

Jim McMahon's career highs in yards and TD's were 2,392 and 15, both in 1985.

He is the best quarterback in Bears history, which is a damning indictment of Bears history.

I was gonna mention Sid Luckman, but then I remembered that there was no pro football before the merger :D

NFL: There was no pro football before the merger.

Fan: But wouldn't there have to have been two leagues with their own distinct histories beforehand for a merger to even happen?

NFL: PRO. FOOTBALL. DID. NOT. EXIST. BEFORE. THE. MERGER.

Granted I'm not that well versed in Bears history. Is Cutler really better then Jim McMahon?

Jim McMahon's career highs in yards and TD's were 2,392 and 15, both in 1985.

Like I said Bears history isn't my strong suit. I just saw "Super Bowl" and assumed he was the pinnacle of Bears quarterbacking.

Hold on there. Wasn't the media ready to crown him "Best QB in Bears History © " as soon as he was traded?

As for the Elway comment, I have news for you. If you're a Broncos QB you better have at least two Super Bowls with Denver under your belt before you start saying you're better then Elway in ANY respect.

The local media did somewhat, but the national media did more piling on and complaining how demanding the trade "showed poor character" and proved his immaturity. Cutler was branded the spoiled brat and the biggest jerk ever. As for the Elway thing, I agree that it was very stupid of him. He said he had a stronger arm than Elway, and maybe he does, I don't know. Still, who freaking cares? It was a dumb thing to say, but it was hardly inflammatory. In Cutler's time in Chicago he has done nothing but get pounded by the national and local media. He hasn't been brash or said anything dumb, yet the media writes how he "doesn't care" and "isn't emotional enough to be a leader" and such rubbish.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The local media did somewhat, but the national media did more piling on and complaining how demanding the trade "showed poor character" and proved his immaturity. Cutler was branded the spoiled brat and the biggest jerk ever. As for the Elway thing, I agree that it was very stupid of him. He said he had a stronger arm than Elway, and maybe he does, I don't know. Still, who freaking cares? It was a dumb thing to say, but it was hardly inflammatory. In Cutler's time in Chicago he has done nothing but get pounded by the national and local media. He hasn't been brash or said anything dumb, yet the media writes how he "doesn't care" and "isn't emotional enough to be a leader" and such rubbish.

I'm backing Roman here, because he's clearly right about Cutler. Take it from someone who lives where Cutler used to play, they (the Bronco fans) NEVER liked him, nor have they EVER liked any quarterback since John Elway. Yes, he did get the franchise their first two Super Bowls and is a Hall of Fame quarterback, and that much is true. But once Bubby Brister took over, and by the way he was responsible for more than half of the 1998 Broncos' wins that year NOT Elway, the fans and local media tore him to shreds the first time he had a bad game. They've torn apart Brian Griese, Jake Plummer (highest winning percentage in Broncos history until he was ran off), Jay Culter, Kyle Orton, and they will do the same to Tim Tebow. Truthfully, they're just as bad to the quarterback as Philadelphia and New York are with theirs. If you've ever watched the SportsCentury about John Elway, you would clearly classify the local fans and media as borderline psychotic, overly-obsessive, and with their treatment of anyone who actually does a good job for the team, mean-spirited and delusional.

We all know about Elway's accomplishments, and it's nothing to label as average, but most teams move on after their superstar hasn't played for more than 10 years. When you go to games at Invesco, people wear as many Elway jerseys as they do CURRENT players. And they're ignorant of doing so, because to quote Rick Pitino... "John Elway ain't walkin' through that door." The local media and fans are too stupid to realize it.

Jay Cutler has been immature, and everyone knows that, but we also know that the media does tend to gang up on players that aren't overly talkative at the sessions, and even resorting to lies or rumors (half-truths) to get them to open up. Yeah, he didn't do himself any favors going to the third largest media market in the United States, but I have to say that this talk of him being a :censored:, a quitter, and all this crap... is just that, crap. Hopefully the kid can rebound from this and not let it get to him, because he's not a bad guy or quarterback in the least.

By the way, he's the second-best Bears QB ever. Sid Luckman is by far the franchises' best, regardless of the era he played in, because really... :censored: the NFL. You play for the Lombardi Trophy, not the Noll/Walsh/Belichick trophy.

Archived