Tips for applying a patch

BigDmo

Just bought myself the Oregon Ducks' national championship uniform and a Natty patch, but I don't really know how I should go about combining the two. The patch I bought is iron on, but ideally I would have it sewn on, however I wouldn't know where to go and I don't really want to pay that much more on this little project anyway. Anyone have any tips? I'm thinking about ironing it on and then sewing it a little bit myself. Also I'm a little concerned about the ironing process ruining the jersey, should I be concerned?

Β 

Β 

It's probably not the preferred way to go, but when I got a Flames jersey and a 2004 Stanley Cup Finals patch, I took them to a local sewing shop in the small town I was living in at the time and asked them to do it. Only cost me $5, and it has held up very well.

If you apply it with the adhesive backing, a heat press is ideal, but an iron and pressure will do the trick as well if you're careful and patient. Make sure you put a piece of fabric between the jersey/patch and the iron, though, so you avoid any type of burning or melting of the polyester, which can withstand temperatures up to about 300-325 degrees. You also have to make sure that after you apply heat and pressure to the front of the patch for 30-60 seconds that you let it cool for a minute and then hit it from the back (inside-out) to get the heat right on the adhesive.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Bump. I need ideas for what kind of adhesive to use. Gonna do that then probably sew it myself or have my mom do it lol.

Here it is with the patch just laying on the jersey, how's the positioning?

168027_492362179585_566489585_5863861_5143607_n.jpg

Β 

Β 

Looks good, but if I could give you some advice... hold off til gameday to sew it onto the jersey. This way you'll know exactly where it goes on the shirt. If they leave the Pac 10 patch on, there isn't much real estate room for the BCS patch. I could see them placing it on the sleeve like Miami did tonight.

Not much space for another patch:

090710webaprb_t607.jpg

Possible solution? Like Miami:

GoDaddycom_Bowl_Foo_689069e.jpg

Bump. I need ideas for what kind of adhesive to use. Gonna do that then probably sew it myself or have my mom do it lol.

Here it is with the patch just laying on the jersey, how's the positioning?

%7Boption%7D

I use "Duro All-purpose Spray Adhesive". I doubt it matters what brand you use, but I do recommend using a spray adhesive. It keeps the patch in place for you to sew, but does not ruin the material (at least it hasn't for me).

There isn't much room for me to work on the replica. It may have to touch the wings.

That might make it uncomfortable if the patch is sewn across to parts, it might pull down on the shoulder part of the jersey when you lift your arms.

2ry0jsl.jpg

Fast. Hard. Finish.

Archived